Chapter 111

Adam

Aunt Lily looks even more uncomfortable, caught in the dilemma of sharing information that might shake the foundations of my understanding. "You know that you have to tell me now," I assert, urging her to reveal whatever she knows.

She sighs, hesitating before speaking. Her eyes briefly flit towards the ceiling, before settling back on me. "Well, there were some rumors," she discloses, her words heavy.

"What kind of rumors?" I press, a mix of anticipation and anxiety building within me.

Aunt Lily closes her eyes, preparing herself for the revelation. With a deep breath, she looks into my eyes. "Rumors that your mother was having an affair. But since there was no hard proof, I never bothered to tell your father," She confesses, the weight of her disclosure hitting me like a tidal wave.

My jaw drops, and for a moment, I'm rendered speechless. Shock, hope, anger, and relief swirl within me, creating a turbulent emotional storm. I never entertained the thought that my mother could betray my father in such a profound way. Could this be true? Could there be a way to prove it and bring an end to this nightmare? How could she do this to him? He's been a devoted husband and father—how could she?

"Of course, rumors sometimes are just rumors," Aunt Lily interjects, attempting to temper the impact of her revelation. I shake my head, struggling to process the information.

"Where there is smoke, there is fire. With whom did she allegedly have the affair?" I inquire, my hope flickering but not extinguished.

Aunt Lily shrugs, her uncertainty casting a shadow over my tentative optimism. "I don't know, honey," she admits, and my hopes of finding a resolution through this revelation begin to falter.

"Where did you hear the rumors from? Did you find out anything at all?" I ask urgently, clinging to the hope that there might be some tangible lead in this revelation.

"Jesus, Adam, I never thought you would be this excited that your mother cheated on your father," Aunt Lily remarks, her tone a mix of surprise and disbelief.

I feel a pang of guilt for my eagerness. "I know it seems selfish, Aunt Lily. It would break my father's heart to find out she cheated on him. But it will also set him free," I explain, attempting to justify my behavior.

Aunt Lily takes a moment to consider my perspective. "I heard it from James, your family's butler. He said he overheard a weird conversation your mother had on the phone. He didn't hear much, just her telling someone to never call her again at home, that he will risk everything for her, and she said 'I love you' before hanging up. That's all," she reveals.

"And?" I press, my impatience showing as I seek any additional detail that might shed light on the situation.

"And, that's it, Adam. That's really all. I tried tracing the call, but the number was unregistered. I tried calling it back, but the line was dead. I don't know what it was, but it was definitely a dead end," Aunt Lily explains, her frustration mirroring my own.

"Damn it," I mutter under my breath, frustration welling up as the weight of uncertainty settles on my shoulders. Aunt Lily reaches for my hand in a gesture of consolation. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up, Adam," she apologizes.

I shake my head, attempting to brush off the disappointment. "It's okay, Aunt Lily. Maybe it will lead somewhere after all. I just have to figure out a way to find the truth and then find a way to prove it," I say, my resolve tinged with a sense of defeat.

"I'm sure you will," she reassures me, squeezing my hand before standing. "I should get going. It was good seeing you, little boss. I'm glad you're back," she says.

"Me too, Aunt Lily," I reply, offering her a grateful smile as she turns and walks away. Despite her attempt to console me, the lingering questions about my mother's fidelity continue to gnaw at my thoughts. Now, any hope of focusing on work seems like a distant prospect. Did my mother really have an affair? Does she still have one? How can I find out? Maybe talking to James could shed some light, even if it's just a flicker.

I drink the last dregs of my coffee, the bitterness matching the turmoil in my mind, and toss the cup into a trash can. With a heavy sigh, I make my way back to my father's office. Once again, people approach me, eager to share their excitement about my return to the company and inquire about my father. I engage with each of them, just like my father would have.

Finally, I step into his office and sink onto the couch, exhaling deeply. This day is so fucking long and I can't wait to see Mallory. Perhaps she'll have an idea about where to begin regarding my mother's alleged affair.

I rise from the couch and walk to the desk where I left my phone earlier. Unlocking it, I discover missed calls from an unknown number and several from Mallory. A pang of concern tightens my chest. Did something happen? Why did I leave my phone behind?

I dial Mallory's number, relief flooding me as she answers after a single ring. "Hey, baby, is everything okay?" I hear Mallory's voice through the phone, and it calms me a little. "I was about to ask you the same thing. I'm sorry I missed your calls. Something came up. I'll tell you later," I explain, my mind still racing with the recent revelations.

"Adam, Dr. Bennet called. Your father woke up," she announces, and my heart skips a beat. My father is finally awake! "Really? I'm going to the hospital. Where are you, baby?" I ask eagerly. I want to pick her up on my way to the hospital; I need her by my side.

"I'm already at the hospital. I'll wait for you," she says, and a wave of gratitude washes over me. She's so perfect. "You are awesome, baby. I'll be right there. Wait for me in his room, okay? I'll be right there," I instruct, feeling a surge of love for Mallory.

"Okay, I love you," she says, and I reply, "I love you too," before we hang up. I take a few deep breaths, trying to compose myself, and walk out of the office. "I'll be back later," I tell my father's secretary, and she nods in understanding.

Taking the elevator to the parking lot, I engage in polite conversation once again with everyone eager to talk to me. It's challenging to focus on their words, but I do my best. I don't want to seem rude, and I certainly don't want to share the news about my father just yet. I wouldn't want the information reaching my mother prematurely. I need some time.

The elevator doors slide open at the parking lot, and I rush to my car. Getting in, I start driving to the hospital, my anticipation palpable.

Finally, some good news.