Chapter 30

Mallory

"And I saw Rachel."

The moment Adam drops the bombshell about running into Rachel, I'm frozen on the spot, my mind struggling to process the information. I stare at Adam, dumbfounded, my mouth slightly agape.

"I acted like I didn't remember her," Adam says quickly, sensing my shock. "I didn't want to give away that we're onto her. She asked if we could have coffee tomorrow."

"What?!" I exclaim, the shock turning into disbelief, and I jump off the couch.

Adam rushes over, placing his hands on my shoulders, trying to calm me. "Hey, hey, it's going to be okay. I have a plan."

I look at him, a mix of anxiety and curiosity in my eyes. "What plan?"

He takes a deep breath, as if preparing himself for my reaction. "We have to confront her, right? About the phone thing. What if we turn tomorrow's coffee into an opportunity to get some answers?"

I hesitate, absorbing his words. "Confront her? Just like that?"

Adam nods, his eyes unwavering. "We need to be strategic. If she suspects anything, we might lose our chance to find out what she's up to."

His logic sinks in, and I take a deep breath, attempting to steady my racing thoughts. "Okay, but how do we do it? I can't just sit there and accuse her without any evidence."

"I'll get her to admit messing with your phone without needing any evidence."

My eyebrows knit in skepticism. "How on earth are you going to manage that?"

He leans in, lowering his voice as if sharing a secret. "I'll explain, but first, call Kylie and Sean over. I need them for this plan."

I nod, my mind already racing with questions and concerns. I grab my phone and dial Kylie's number, my fingers tapping anxiously as I wait for her to answer. I steal a quick glance at Adam, who offers me a reassuring smile.

"Hey, Mallory! What's up?" Kylie's cheerful voice comes through the phone.

"Kylie, I need you and Sean to come over to Adam's place. Something important has come up. I'll text you the address." I explain, the urgency evident in my tone.

"Sure thing. We'll be there in a bit," she responds before hanging up.

My fingers fly on my phone, texting Adam's address to Kylie. Pressing send, I turn to Adam, I let out a heavy sigh. "Kylie and Sean will be here shortly"

He pulls me into a hug, and I melt into the warmth of his embrace, inhaling his comforting scent. His fingers run through my hair, a soothing gesture that somehow eases the tension within me. "Everything will be okay, Mallory. This time tomorrow, we'll have one less thing to worry about," he reassures me.

I look up at him, a soft smile playing on my lips. Adam leans down and places a tender kiss on my forehead, his lips lingering for a moment. He then rests his forehead against mine, but as he gazes into my eyes, the smile fades from my face.

"What's going on, Mallory?" he asks, his eyes searching mine.

I take a deep breath before voicing the thoughts that have been lingering in the back of my mind. "Adam, it feels like you're going through so much drama just to be with me. I can't help but feel guilty."

He looks at me, his expression serious. "Mallory, you're worth it. Every bit of it, don't ever doubt that." he says, sincerity lacing his words.

He seals his words with a deep, passionate kiss that leaves me breathless. The intensity of the moment overwhelms me, and I melt into his arms. He holds me tighter, as if trying to reassure me through the strength of his embrace.

"I think we could use something to munch on," I suggest, breaking the silence.

Adam nods in agreement. "Good idea. Let's prepare something for Kylie and Sean."

Together, we make our way to the kitchen, determined to craft a distraction in the form of a charcuterie board. With precision, we arrange the assortment of cheeses, cured meats, fruits, and nuts. Adam, with his knack for pairing flavors, selects an oaky chardonnay from his collection of wines.

With the charcuterie board, glasses, and wine in hand, we make our way back to the living room. Just as we settle everything on the coffee table, the doorbell chimes.

Adam strides to the door and opens it, and Kylie and Sean enter the apartment. Kylie's eyes light up, and she immediately envelops me in a tight hug.

"Mallory, I missed you," she exclaims.

"I missed you too, Kylie," I reply, holding onto the hug for a moment longer.

Sean offers a friendly smile as he steps inside. "Hey, Adam, good to see you again," he greets, extending a hand for a firm handshake.

"Likewise, Sean," Adam responds, returning the handshake. "Come on in, make yourselves at home."

"Wow, what's all this?" Kylie exclaims, her eyes widening as she takes in the spread on the coffee table. Adam gestures proudly to the charcuterie board.

"We thought we'd make a little something to snack on while we catch up," he explains.

"Oh, he's a good one" Kylie says, while nudging me with her elbow. Adam and I exchange glances. "I know", I say simply.

The four of us sit around the coffee table, glasses of wine in hand. Adam pours wine into the crystal glasses, notes of caramel and butter fill the air.

Kylie's impatience is palpable as she leans forward, her eyes darting between Adam and me. "So, what's the reason behind the sudden invitation?" she asks, a playful smirk dancing on her lips. "Not that I'm complaining, of course," she adds, chuckling.

"Something happened today," I begin, my gaze shifting between Kylie and Sean. "Adam ran into Rachel at the campus."

Kylie's eyes widen in surprise, and Sean raises an eyebrow, curious.

"Rachel? Seriously?" Kylie exclaims, disbelief coloring her features. Sean leans back, folding his arms, waiting for more details.

I nod, confirming the unexpected encounter. "Yeah, and here's the kicker. He pretended not to remember her, acted casual. She suggested grabbing coffee, and they arranged to meet tomorrow."

Kylie and Sean snap their heads towards Adam, looking at him incredulously. "I have a plan to confront her about the whole phone situation. Make her admit everything.", he tells them.

Kylie leans back, crossing her arms. "Alright, I'm listening. What's the plan?"