Chapter 29

Adam

The campus cafe buzzes with the energy of students engaged in lively conversations, a familiar backdrop to my meeting with Marcus. After spending a couple of intense hours finalizing details on my thesis with Professor Turner, Marcus and I planned to catch up over coffee.

Marcus, always the playful one, raises an eyebrow as I join him at our chosen table. "Well, look who decided to disappear for a while. What happened? Did you find a secret hideout?"

I chuckle, settling into the chair. "Not a secret hideout, just some important business to take care of."

His eyes light up with curiosity. "Business, huh? Do tell."

A grin spreads across my face as I divulge the details. "I managed to get in touch with Mallory."

Marcus's excitement is palpable as he leans in, eager for more information. "Alright, spill the beans. How's it going with you two?"

"It's going great, actually," I reply, feeling a sense of contentment. "She's staying at my place."

Marcus nearly chokes on his coffee, and I pat him on the back, chuckling. "You sure move fast, my friend."

I nod, enjoying the playful banter. "Couldn't stand being away from her for too long. Plus, this way, we get to spend time together and study."

Marcus raises an eyebrow, his expression teasing. "Are you sure she won't misinterpret the situation? Living together, studying together, it sounds pretty serious."

I lean back in my chair, contemplating his question. "There's nothing to misinterpret. I feel like there's something real with Mallory."

Marcus smirks, "Smitten, my friend. You're officially smitten."

I can't help but smile at the accuracy of his observation. "Guilty as charged."

He shifts gears, his tone turning more serious. "How old is Mallory, anyway?"

"She'll be 20 in August," I reply, anticipating the reaction that follows.

Marcus raises his eyebrows, "You're 23, man. You're both pretty young to be getting this serious, don't you think?"

I sigh, contemplating his words. "I don't see it that way. If Mallory is the one, I consider myself lucky to have met her so early in life. Age doesn't matter when you find something real."

Marcus squeezes my shoulder playfully. "You're a romantic, my friend. Smitten and a romantic. Who would've thought?"

With a grin, I shake my head. "Crazy, right?"

"So, when do I get to meet this mysterious Mallory?" Marcus asks.

"We're planning a small gathering of close friends soon," I explain. "You'll have the chance to meet her, and I can her friends."

His eyes light up with anticipation. "Sounds like a plan. I can't wait to meet the girl who's managed to capture Adam Christensen's heart."

"You are going to love her" I smile, beaming with pride.

"So, does Mallory have any good-looking friends?" he inquires with a sly grin.

I shake my head, a knowing smile on my face. "There's Kylie, her best friend. But she's happily in a relationship. And there's this girl, Emma, but I haven't seen her yet."

Marcus raises an eyebrow suggestively. "Better ask for a photo of Emma, mate. Gotta be prepared."

I laugh, agreeing with his teasing advice. "I'll consider it. But remember, behave yourself with Mallory's friends."

Marcus feigns innocence, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Me? I'm the epitome of gentlemanly behavior."

I roll my eyes at his over-the-top declaration. "Sure you are."

With a quick glance at his watch, Marcus curses under his breath. "I've got to run, man."

"Alright, catch you later. I'll take care of the bill." I say, waving him off.

As Marcus hastily departs, I signal the waitress over. She approaches with a suggestive smile, fluttering her eyelashes in a feeble attempt to capture my attention. Unfazed, I don't even spare her a glance as I settle the bill. Once paid, I stand up and head for the exit.

Outside, the crisp air hits me, and I take a deep breath. I stroll through the bustling campus, the familiar sound of students chatting and the occasional laughter filling the air. The sun casts a warm glow on the pathways as I make my way to the motorcycle parked at the edge of the university grounds. Thoughts of Mallory linger in my mind, and I can't help but feel a sense of contentment knowing she's waiting for me.

As I approach the motorcycle, a voice calls out behind me. "Hey, Adam? It's Adam, right?"

I turn around to find Rachel making her way toward me. I raise an eyebrow, feigning mild surprise. "Oh, hey. Yeah, Adam. What's up?"

She grins, her eyes gleaming. "We met at Kylie's party. I'm Rachel."

I maintain a neutral expression, acting as if I'm racking my brain to place her. "Right, right. Rachel. How've you been?"

Her smile widens. "I've been good, thanks. How about you?"

I offer a casual shrug. "Can't complain. Just navigating through the usual chaos of university life."

Rachel laughs, a sound that seems a touch too rehearsed. "Tell me about it. Anyway, I was wondering if you'd be up for grabbing coffee sometime. I've heard this place near campus has the best lattes."

I pause for a moment, contemplating her invitation. "Sure, why not?" I reply, playing along with her suggestion, a plan forming in my head.

She looks pleased with my response. "Great! How about tomorrow afternoon?"

I nod in agreement, keeping my demeanor easygoing. "Sounds good. Meet you here?"

"It's a date" she winks at me. "See you, Adam".

Rachel places her hand momentarily on my arm, caressing it and I bristle at her touch. She turns to leave and I exhale a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding. I mount my motorcycle, the engine roars to life beneath me, the familiar hum providing a reassuring soundtrack. The campus gradually fades into the distance as I navigate through the familiar streets on my motorcycle. As I approach my apartment, a mix of anticipation and apprehension lingers in the air.

Pulling up to the curb, I park the motorcycle and swing my leg over. The soft purr of the engine dies down as I dismount, my eyes instinctively scanning the surroundings. It's a quiet afternoon, and the subtle warmth in the air hints at the approaching evening.

Ascending the stairs to my apartment, I unlock the door and step inside. The scent of Mallory's perfume wafts through the air, a familiar and comforting presence that instantly puts me at ease. Closing the door behind me, I find her sitting on the couch, engrossed in a textbook.

"Hey," I greet her, a genuine smile gracing my face. "How's the studying going?"

Mallory looks up, her eyes brightening at the sight of me. "Hey! It's going okay. What about you? How was your day?"

I approach the couch and settle down beside her. "Productive. Had a meeting with my professor about the thesis, and then I caught up with Marcus at the campus cafe. And I saw Rachel."