Chapter 28

Mallory

"Last time I talked to you, you were just going on a date with Adam! Jeez, you guys move fast," she teases, and I can't help but chuckle.

"Well, it's practical, you know? We get to spend time together and study at the same time," I explain, trying to sound casual about our accelerated pace.

"I bet all the sex makes studying more bearable," Kylie says sarcastically, and I burst into laughter. She has a way of cutting through any seriousness with her humor.

" Well, it does add a certain... incentive," I admit with a grin. "But it's not just about that. Adam and I have a good connection, and it feels right."

"It's a good thing we decided to spend some days here," I continue, "When we got to my house yesterday to get my things, we found Matt screaming at my father because I was out all night."

"Mallory, that guy's an idiot if he thinks his outbursts will get him anywhere. Seriously, he needs to get a grip," Kylie remarks.

I sigh in agreement. "I don't understand why he's doing all this."

"Men and their egos," Kylie mutters. "Why did he think he had the right to yell at your dad? What's wrong with him?"

I can almost see Kylie shaking her head in disbelief. "I have no idea. I guess he's just losing it."

"Hey, did you keep that number that was saved to your phone as Adam's?" she asks suddenly, changing the topic.

Surprised by the shift, I confirm, "Yeah, I kept it. Why?"

Kylie hesitates before explaining, "I suspect something, and I want to check it out. Can you send me the number? I'll call it and see if my hunch is right."

I raise an eyebrow, curious about Kylie's detective work, but I trust her instincts. After quickly locating the number on my phone, I send it over to Kylie.

"Got it. Will call you back soon. Love you!" Kylie says, and a warm smile tugs at my lips.

"Love you too. Thanks for doing this." I say and we hung up.

Heading to the kitchen of Adam's apartment, I find him engrossed in the culinary artistry of preparing a meal. The sizzling sounds and aromatic fragrance indicate that he's cooking up something delightful.

"Hey," I greet him, leaning against the doorway.

He glances up from chopping vegetables, a welcoming smile spreading across his face. "Hey! How's Kylie?"

"She's okay," I reply, moving closer to the counter. "Actually, she came up with an interesting idea. She wants to call the number saved as yours in my phone and see who answers."

Adam sets the knife down, his expression thoughtful. "That's a great idea. It might help us figure out what's going on."

I nod. "Yeah, I think so too." As he keeps working on the dinner, my stomach growls in response to the delicious smells wafting through the kitchen. "What are you making?" I ask him impatiently.

"Lasagne," he replies with a grin.

My eyes light up. "No way! I love lasagne!"

He chuckles, pleased with my enthusiastic reaction. "Well, you're in luck then."

"Can I help with anything?" I offer, eager to contribute to our dinner.

He considers for a moment. "How about you prepare a salad? We'll have a complete meal then."

"Deal!" I agree, walking over to the fridge to gather the necessary ingredients.

While I chop vegetables, Adam orchestrates the lasagne creation, layering pasta, savory meat sauce, and creamy béchamel with precision. The rhythmic sounds of chopping and the comforting aroma of cooking food fill the kitchen, creating a sense of domestic tranquility.

As the lasagne goes into the oven, Adam walks over, his hands dusted with flour. He wraps his arms around me, and I lean into his embrace. The steady beat of his heart aligns with mine, creating a moment of tranquility amidst the storm.

"Thank you for helping," he murmurs, pressing a gentle kiss to my forehead.

I look up at him, a soft smile on my lips. "Thank you for cooking. It smells amazing."

Adam chuckles, the sound vibrating through his chest. "Well, I hope it tastes as good as it smells." He tightens he grip and then lets me, turning to the wine shelf. "Want some wine?"

"Do you have a preference?" he asks.

"Chianti, if you have it," I reply.

A grin spreads across his face as he pulls out a bottle of Chianti from the cabinet. "As a matter of fact, I do."

Adam pours the rich red liquid into two glasses, and I set the salad on the table, arranging plates and cutlery in anticipation of our dinner. He hands me a glass, and we clink them together.

"To success on our exams," he proposes, his eyes locking onto mine.

I nod in agreement, "To success."

We take a sip, reveling in the flavor, when the familiar tune of my phone's ringtone interrupts the tranquility. "Sorry" I apologize to Adam, and he nods with a gracious smile. I set my glass down and retrieve the phone from my pocket, glancing at the caller ID. It's Kylie.

"Hey, Kylie. What's up?"

Her voice sounds urgent as she says, "You're not going to believe this."

"Believe what? What happened?"

"The number, Mallory. It belongs to Rachel," she reveals, dropping a bombshell that leaves me stunned.

"What?" I gasp, my mind struggling to comprehend what she just told me. "Rachel? Are you sure?"

"I'm afraid if I call her, she'll just deny everything. But, Mallory, only Rachel had access to your phone. Not to mention that she had incentive. Remember? Adam turned her down at my party."

The realization hits me like a ton of bricks. I grip the phone tightly, my gaze locked on a point in the distance. Adam senses the tension and approaches me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

Adam's presence offers comfort, his embrace grounding me in the moment. I finally respond to Kylie, "I agree. It has to be Rachel. She's the only one who could've done this."

Adam squeezes me reassuringly, and Kylie's voice breaks the silence. "We need to meet up soon, discuss everything, and come up with a strategy to confront Rachel."

A heavy sigh escapes me as I agree, "Yeah, we do."

Kylie adds, "Okay. I love you, Mallory. We'll figure this out together."

"I love you too, Kylie," I respond before hanging up.

Adam gently places a soft kiss on my head. "What happened?" he asks.

I turn slightly, leaning into his embrace, and take a deep breath. "It's Rachel. She's the one who set up that number to mess with us."

Adam's grip tightens in a protective response. "Rachel? Why would she do that?"

"Remember that girl who was interested in you at Kylie's party? That was Rachel. And you rejected her."

Understanding dawns on Adam's face. "So, this is her way of getting back at us?"

"Seems like it. She probably thought stirring up drama between us would somehow make her feel better? Or that she would have a chance with you? I can't believe she would stoop so low."

"I'm sorry, Mallory. You don't deserve any of this drama."

His support is a comforting anchor amidst the chaos. I turn within his embrace and look into his eyes. "Thank you, Adam. I appreciate your understanding."

He brushes a strand of hair from my face, his expression filled with sincerity. "We'll figure this out together. No one messes with us."

I smile at the handsome man in front of me. How did I get so lucky? Or is it too good to be true? I chase that last thought away; I am not messing this up by being afraid. Adam leans in and kisses me on the lips, causing a surge of electricity through my body. He breaks the kiss and grins at me, "More wine?"

"Yes, please"