Chapter 67

Adam

The sterile scent of the hospital surrounds me as I pace the small waiting room, my footsteps echoing the erratic rhythm of my anxious heart. Mallory is in there, undergoing examinations, and every second feels like an eternity. I clench and unclench my fists, the urge to know if she's okay gnawing at me.

They threw me out of the exam room, claiming I was interfering. Interfering? How could I stand by while they poked and prodded her, as if she hasn't been through enough? It takes all my self-control not to barge back in there and demand answers.

The minutes stretch into an agonizing stretch of uncertainty, and I find myself pressed against the glass door, straining to catch a glimpse of Mallory through the narrow window. The muted hum of activity in the hallway provides a stark contrast to the turmoil inside me.

Suddenly, I hear quick steps approaching, and I turn to see Mallory's parents and Melanie walking toward me. I greet them with tight hugs, their faces a mix of anticipation and concern.

"How did you find her?" Mr. Hartley's voice is a mix of curiosity and gratitude as we break the hug.

I fill them in on the events that led to Mallory's rescue, the information Nick provided, and the subsequent collaboration with the police. Mr. Hartley claps me on the back, a gesture of approval and acknowledgment. "You did good, Adam. We can't thank you enough."

Mrs. Hartley hugs me, her eyes glistening with unshed tears. "Thank you for finding our girl, Adam. We were losing hope, but you brought her back to us."

I feel a lump in my throat, their gratitude both humbling and overwhelming. "You should be thanking Nick," I say, trying to redirect the praise where it's due.

Melanie, never one to miss an opportunity for sarcasm, chimes in, "So modest, our hero." But her tone softens as she looks at me. "Seriously, Adam, thank you for not giving up on Mallory."

The weight of the moment is palpable, a mixture of relief, gratitude, and the lingering uncertainty of what comes next. The hospital's ambient sounds create a backdrop to our collective sighs, each of us processing the gravity of the situation in our own way.

After a moment of quiet, Melanie breaks the silence. "How is she?"

I rub my temples, the tension lingering. "I don't know. They kicked me out of the exam room. Said I was interfering."

Mr. Hartley's expression tightens, his concern mirroring my own. "Is she okay?"

"I don't know," I repeat, the frustration evident in my voice. "They're running tests, checking her over. I just want her to be okay."

Melanie puts a comforting hand on my shoulder. "She's strong, Adam. She'll get through this."

I nod, grateful for the reassurance but unable to shake the worry that lingers beneath the surface. We settle into an uneasy wait, the minutes dragging on as we exchange small talk to distract ourselves from the looming unknown.

The waiting room door swings open, and a nurse steps out, her eyes scanning the room. "Family for Mallory Hartley?"

We all nod, and she gestures for us to follow her. The doctor wants to update us on Mallory's condition. We file into a small consultation room, the air heavy with anticipation.

The doctor, a middle-aged woman with a calm demeanor, greets us and begins explaining Mallory's physical condition. "Physically, she appears to be in stable condition. We've conducted initial tests, and while there are signs of dehydration and fatigue, there don't seem to be any immediate concerns. However, we'll be keeping her under observation for a while."

Relief washes over me, a weight lifting from my shoulders. Mrs. Hartley asks about any potential long-term effects, and the doctor reassures her that they'll conduct further tests to ensure Mallory's well-being.

The doctor concludes her explanation, and a sense of relief settles over the room. "You can visit her for a little while," she says, and I'm on my feet before the words fully register. Melanie, Mallory's parents, and I follow a nurse through the labyrinthine hallways of the hospital until we reach Mallory's room.

As we enter the room, Mallory lies there, looking tired but with a spark in her eyes. A wave of emotion washes over me, and a genuine smile lights up her face when she sees us. Melanie rushes to her side, hugging her with care. "You scared the hell out of us, you know."

Mallory offers a weak smile. "I'm sorry, Mel. I didn't mean to."

Mrs. Hartley leans in, tears streaming down her face. "We're just glad to have you back, sweetheart."

Mr. Hartley places a comforting hand on Mallory's shoulder. "You gave us a scare, kiddo."

Mallory smiles at her father, and then her eyes lock with mine. "Hey, you," she says, her voice a gentle greeting that feels like a lifeline.

I move closer to her bed, unable to hide the mix of emotions swirling within me. "Hey, yourself," I reply, my voice soft.

We spend a few precious moments together, talking and sharing in the relief that Mallory is safe. A nurse gently reminds us that visiting hours are limited, and reluctantly, we begin to prepare to leave. As we say our goodbyes, I linger by Mallory's side. "I'll be back tomorrow, okay?" I promise, squeezing her hand.

She smiles, her eyes reflecting a mixture of gratitude and affection. "I'll hold you to that."

Melanie gives Mallory a hug, whispering something in her ear that makes her laugh. Mallory's parents each give her a final hug, their expressions a blend of love and relief.

I step back, taking one last look at Mallory before turning to leave. Leaving Mallory alone in that hospital room is harder than I thought. I want to stay by her side, to assure myself that she's really safe, but I know she needs rest. The ache of being apart from her again gnaws at me, but I try to calm the swirling storm of emotions within.

"She's in good hands," Melanie whispers, as if she is sensing the conflict within me. I nod, acknowledging the truth in her words. Mallory is safe now, and that's what matters most.

As we make our way to the hospital exit, I steal a glance back at Mallory's room, a silent promise echoing in my mind. Tomorrow, I'll be back. Mr. Hartley offers me a ride home, and I accept with gratitude. We step outside into the cool night air, the hospital's imposing structure gradually fading into the distance.