Chapter 44

Mallory

"What the actual fuck?" Kylie's eyes widen in disbelief as I recount the unexpected brawl between Matt and Adam. I let out a heavy sigh, my mind still processing the chaotic scene. "Matt has completely lost it," Kylie remarks, shaking her head.

"I just... I can't wrap my head around how he found us," I admit, frustration tinging my voice.

"How the fuck did he find you?" Kylie mutters, her brow furrowed in disbelief.

"I wish I knew," I respond, the mystery of Matt's intrusion adding another layer of unease to an already unsettling situation. My gaze drifts toward the window, as if searching for an answer in the city beyond.

Kylie's next question is more pointed, her concern evident. "And Adam? How is he handling all of this?"

I glance at the closed bedroom door. "He seems... unshaken," I say slowly, choosing my words carefully. "But I worry, Kylie. This isn't fair to him. I never wanted to bring this kind of drama into his life."

Kylie takes a seat next to me, her expression softening with understanding. "Mallory, you can't control what Matt does. And Adam... well, he seems like a guy who can handle his own. You're not causing trouble; Matt is."

I let out a long exhale and stand up, pacing the room. "Look around you, Kylie. Adam is put together, he has goals, he aims high, he works hard." I gesture to the neatly arranged room, the semblance of order in Adam's life. "And then there's me, causing unnecessary trouble, dragging him into a mess he shouldn't have to deal with."

Kylie's eyes lock onto mine, her tone firm. "Don't you dare undermine yourself, Mallory. You're not causing anything. Matt's actions are on him. Adam chose to be with you, knowing everything. You're not a burden."

I glance at her, gratitude flickering in my eyes. Kylie has a way of cutting through the chaos and offering a perspective I often overlook.

"I just don't want him to regret being with me," I admit, finally saying out loud the words that torment my mind.

Kylie's perceptive gaze is fixed on me, and I can feel her probing the depths of my thoughts. "Mallory, I'm going to take a wild guess here and say you are projecting Matt's shitty behavior onto Adam," she says, her words hitting uncomfortably close to home.

I shift my gaze away, focusing on some imaginary spot on the floor. I can't deny the truth in her words, even if admitting it feels like peeling away a layer of protection. "I know he is not Matt," I confess, my voice barely above a whisper. "I keep saying that to myself, over and over again."

Kylie remains silent, giving me the space to voice what I've been grappling with internally. After a moment, I continue, my vulnerability exposed. "It's just that... Matt broke up with me for less, you know? He didn't have to deal with a crazy ex. Adam is not Matt, but if Matt keeps this up, maybe he'll decide that he doesn't want that in his life."

Kylie's expression softens, understanding the complexity of my emotions. "Honey, Adam is a grown-ass man. He knows what he does and doesn't want," she reassures me. "Very put together, as you pointed out. And if he doesn't realize you are worth the trouble, maybe you'll be better off without him."

"Until I meet someone else and Matt drives him away too?" I say sarcastically, my skepticism coating the words like a protective shield.

Kylie scoffs, rolling her eyes at my cynicism. "You know what I mean. Everyone puts on their best behavior in the beginning. Matt was a freaking gentleman; he only had eyes for you. Look how well that turned out," she remarks, her tone laced with a mixture of frustration and exasperation.

I lean back against the couch, crossing my arms defensively. "I know that you feel that Matt is going to ruin your relationship, but it's only going to happen if it wasn't going to last anyway," Kylie declares, her words cutting through the tangled web of my thoughts.

I sigh, running my hands through my hair before covering my face with my palms. "God, you're right," I admit, the weight of reality settling over me like a heavy shroud.

"Duh, I know," Kylie smirks, her confidence evident.

I nudge Kylie playfully and tease, "When did you get so wise?" She chuckles in response, replying, "I just have a clearer perspective, Mal."

I sigh, my gaze wandering to her now-empty mug. "More coffee?" I ask, and she nods with a grateful smile. I gather the two empty mugs from the coffee table, and Kylie follows me to the kitchen. As I pour the rich, steaming liquid into the mugs, I can't help but feel a sense of comfort in the routine. I hand one to Kylie, who leans against the counter, lost in thought.

"Everything okay?" I ask, concern etching my features as I study her.

She shakes her head, as if trying to clear her thoughts. "Yeah, everything is fine," she mumbles, but her unconvincing tone tells me otherwise.

I reach for her hand, offering a reassuring squeeze. "Hey, I'm here for you. What's going on?"

Kylie looks into my eyes, a vulnerability shining through. "Sean has been distant the past few weeks," she admits, her voice carrying a hint of sadness.

My brows furrow with worry. "Oh, Kylie, I'm so sorry. Have you talked to him about it?"

She nods, taking a sip of her coffee before responding. "Yeah, but he brushes it off, says he's just busy with work. But I don't know, Mal, something feels off."

I squeeze her hand reassuringly. "If something's bothering you, it's valid. Trust your instincts. Maybe you need to have a more serious conversation with him, get to the bottom of it."

Kylie sighs, her shoulders slumping with the weight of her emotions. "You're right. I just hate feeling like I'm prying, you know?"

I give her a sympathetic smile. "You're not prying if you're genuinely concerned about the person you love. Communication is key in any relationship."

Kylie sighs deeply, her gaze distant as she stirs her coffee absentmindedly. "Sean just doesn't seem to want to communicate right now," she admits, her voice tinged with frustration.

I offer a sympathetic nod, understanding the turmoil she must be feeling. "Maybe he just needs some time," I suggest gently, hoping to provide some semblance of comfort.

"Yeah, maybe," Kylie responds, her tone uncertain. "Or maybe it's all in my head?"

I shake my head, meeting her eyes with reassurance. "Kylie, you and Sean are honestly the best couple I know," I affirm, sincerity coloring my words. "And you're not the type to invent unnecessary drama. I don't think it's all in your head. Just try to stay calm, give him some space, and I believe everything will work out."

Kylie offers a weak smile, her shoulders visibly relaxing at my words. "Do you really think so?" she asks, searching my face for reassurance.

"I do," I respond firmly, returning her gaze with confidence. "You two will figure it out, I'm sure of it."