Chapter 50

Adam

"Good morning, son. I hope I didn't wake you," my father's voice greets me through the phone.

"No, I was already up. What's up?" I inquire.

"I talked to your mother, Adam. She won't tell me why she wants to talk to you. She said that if you won't talk to her, she will come to your apartment to see you," my father explains, concern evident in his voice.

My heart skips a beat at the thought of my mother showing up uninvited. "No! No, no, no," I respond quickly, my anxiety escalating. "Don't let her come here, Dad. I'll come home for a few days," I add, my mind racing with the need to shield Mallory from my mother's scrutiny.

"Calm down, son. I will tell her you'll be here. What's going on?" my father inquires, his tone soothing.

I take a deep breath. "Please, don't tell Mom; I am dating someone. It's getting serious," I confess.

"Don't worry, Adam. I won't let her come there. So, what's her name?"

"Mallory. She's great, Dad. I can't wait for you to meet her. She's incredible; you'll love her," I say, a smile playing on my lips as I glance at the closed bedroom door.

"I'm happy to hear that, son," my father responds, genuine warmth in his voice. "Thanks, Dad. It means a lot."

"I'll be there next Thursday after work, I'll take Friday off," I add with a sigh, anticipating the impending visit.

"Okay, son, I'll let your mother know. Take care," my father says.

"You too, Dad," I reply before ending the call. The weight of the conversation lingers as I sit on the edge of the bed.

Why the fuck won't she tell him what she wants? Frustration courses through me, and I run a hand up my face, letting out a grunt. At least she won't be showing up here, I think, glancing around my room. Should I move? Change my address so she can't find me? I shake my head. I can't run away from my mother forever. I just have to be strategic, cautious.

Getting off the bed, I make my way towards the kitchen, my mind racing with thoughts. It was a good decision to tell Mallory about my mother; at least, she can be prepared now, at least mentally. I sigh, realizing that I should probably fill her in on how my mother drove away my other girlfriends. She needs to know what she's up against. We'll get through this, though. It's Mallory for me. She is the one; I'm sure of it. I've never felt like this before.

Entering the kitchen, I see Mallory setting plates on the table. "Hey, handsome," she greets me with a warm smile.

"Hey," I respond, smiling back. This—us—is worth fighting for. Whoever comes our way—Rachel, Matt, my mother—will stand no chance. I approach Mallory, kissing the top of her head before taking a seat at the table. She brings two glasses of freshly squeezed juice and sits across from me. I keep my gaze fixed on her, absorbing every nuance of her movements.

"Everything okay?" she inquires as she takes a bite of her mouth-watering pancakes.

"I spoke to my father. My mother wants to talk, but she won't say why. I told my dad I'd go home for a few days to avoid her coming here," I explain. Mallory nods in understanding, her mouth still partially full.

I dig into the fluffy pancakes she prepared, savoring the perfect combination of taste and texture. "Oh my god, these are the best pancakes ever," I exclaim, earning a giggle from Mallory.

"Thank you," she says proudly as I continue devouring the delightful breakfast.

"So, when are you going home?" she asks between bites.

"I'll take Friday off, and I'll drive there Thursday after work. I'll be back Sunday night," I reply, my focus still on the amazing pancakes.

"I'll miss you," Mallory admits.

"I'll miss you too, baby," I respond, a genuine smile forming on my face. "I told my dad about you. He can't wait to meet you," I say, a sense of excitement bubbling within me. Mallory's cheeks flush with a rosy hue as she processes my words. "Oh, I... um. Really?" she stammers. She's so adorable.

"Yeah, baby. He wants to meet the woman who is making me happy," I say, my tone filled with affection. Her blush intensifies, adding a charming innocence to her expression.

"Happier than I ever thought possible," I add, reaching out to hold her hands.

"Oh, Adam... you make me unbelievably happy too, you know that, right?" she says, her eyes filled with sincerity.

"I do now," I reply, and she grins back at me. So fucking adorable. "Come here," I say, gently tugging her hand.

Mallory stands up, and with a playful smile, she settles onto my lap. I wrap my arms around her, and she snakes her arms around my neck. Looking into her eyes, I take a deep breath.

"Baby, I was thinking... maybe I should tell you about my mother and ex-girlfriends? You know, just so you know what she is capable of," I say, my voice softening. Mallory nods, her expression serious. "Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, actually," she replies, and relief washes over me that she sees the necessity of knowing this part of my past.

"Okay," I say, holding her even closer to me. A heavy sigh escapes me as I mutter under my breath, "Fuck. I can't believe I'm going to ruin our Saturday by talking about my mother and exes."

"Well, start talking then. Get it over with. Then we can have some fun," Mallory says, a mischievous glint in her eyes as she wiggles her eyebrows.

"Anything particular in mind?"

"A hike, maybe? I really liked the one we did on our first dates," she suggests with a playful smile.

A smile creeps across my face as I remember our tryst in the woods.

"You got it," I say, giving her a playful squeeze on the ass.

I take a deep breath, preparing to share the less-than-pleasant details of my past. "So, to cut a long story short..."