Chapter 72

Mallory

The night has settled over the lake, cloaking everything in a tranquil darkness. Adam and I have returned to the lake house after our walk, and the comforting scent of dinner still lingers in the air. We stand side by side, loading the dishwasher, the clinking of plates and silverware echoing in the quiet kitchen.

"How long do you think we'll stay at the lake house?" I ask, breaking the silence that has settled between us.

Adam pauses, thoughtful. "I hadn't really thought about it. I mean, our coming here was a bit abrupt, and I haven't made any plans."

I nod, understanding. "It's just that... I don't have much to do here. I miss my family and Kylie."

Adam looks at me, his dark blue eyes reflecting a mixture of understanding and concern. "Are you not having a good time?" he asks.

I assure him quickly, "No, no, I am having a great time. It's just that I find myself with a lot of free time, and I miss the people back home."

He sets down a plate and turns to face me, wrapping his arms around me in a comforting hug. "I get it, Mallory. You spend a lot of time alone because I have to work."

I bury my face in the crook of his neck, feeling the warmth of his embrace. "I don't want to seem ungrateful. I really appreciate your quick thinking, bringing us here."

He pulls away slightly, looking down at me with a soft smile. "You could never seem ungrateful, Mallory. I promise I'll make it up to you."

He winks playfully, and I can't help but smile. "How are you planning to do that?" I tease.

"Ah, that's a surprise," he says, his tone mischievous. "But trust me, it'll be worth the wait."

With a quick peck on my forehead, he returns to loading the dishwasher. He finishes up, and dries his hands on a kitchen towel. "Why don't we relax for the rest of the evening? We can watch a movie or just enjoy the quiet."

I agree, and we move to the living room, settling onto the couch as we decide on a movie. Adam wraps an arm around me, and I lean into his embrace, feeling the steady rhythm of his heartbeat. As the movie progresses, time slips away unnoticed. Adam and I share laughter and whispered comments, immersed in the story unfolding on the screen. The cozy warmth of the living room and the soft glow of the fireplace create an intimate atmosphere that wraps around us like a comforting blanket.

At some point, the realization dawns on me that midnight is approaching, and my birthday is about to begin. I glance at the clock, feeling a mix of anticipation and curiosity. I wonder if Adam remembers, but I don't want to bring it up. The night has been so peaceful, and I'm content just to be here with him.

Suddenly, Adam suggests, "How about we take a break and get some snacks? I think I saw some ice cream in the freezer."

I nod in agreement, appreciating the idea of indulging in a midnight treat and Adam disappears briefly into the kitchen. When he returns, he carries a small cake adorned with flickering candles, their flames dancing in the darkness. The sight steals my breath, and I'm momentarily at a loss for words.

"Happy birthday, Mallory," he says, his voice tender and sincere.

"Adam, you remembered."

He nods, his eyes reflecting the sincerity of his emotions. "Of course, I did. It's a day worth celebrating."

With a soft hum of the birthday song, Adam places the cake in front of me. I make a wish and blow out the candles, a silent thank-you to whatever forces brought us to this moment. Adam grins, clearly pleased with his surprise.

"Wait, there's more," he adds, reaching behind the couch and producing a wrapped gift.

I take the present, the excitement bubbling within me. "You really didn't have to, Adam."

"But I wanted to," he insists, his eyes gleaming with anticipation.

Carefully unwrapping it, I discover a delicate necklace, a small pendant shaped like a star. The silver chain glints in the candlelight, and the pendant seems to capture the essence of the night sky.

"Adam, it's beautiful," I breathe, my eyes meeting his.

He smiles, his gaze unwavering. "I thought you might like it."

Touched beyond words, I lean in, pressing a soft kiss to his lips. I pull away from the sweet kiss, feeling the warmth of Adam's fingers gently stroking my cheek. His eyes are filled with affection as he asks, "Did you really think I would forget your birthday?"

A blush creeps onto my cheeks, and I admit, "Well, we hadn't really talked about it, with everything that happened."

Adam chuckles, the sound resonating like a soothing melody. "I had so many plans for your birthday, Mallory. But you know what? I'm just happy we're celebrating it together."

He points to the delicate necklace in the small box on the table and asks, "May I?"

I nod, a soft smile playing on my lips. Adam takes the necklace, delicately handling it, and carefully fastens it around my neck. The cool metal rests against my skin, and I run my fingers over the small star.

"It's perfect," I whisper, my eyes meeting his.

Adam smiles, his thumb tracing a gentle path along my jawline. "Just like you."

"So, what's the plan for the rest of the night?" I inquire, a playful gleam in my eyes.

Adam smirks. "Well, we have the movie, the cake, and a birthday present. Anything else you'd like?"

I pretend to ponder, tapping my chin. "Hmm, maybe a dance?"

He raises an eyebrow. "A dance, right here in the living room?"

"Why not?" I challenge, standing up and extending a hand. "It's my birthday; I can make whimsical requests, can't I?"

Adam laughs, the sound filling the room, and takes my hand. We sway to the imaginary music, caught in a moment that feels both surreal and heartwarmingly real. The lake house becomes our private dance floor, and as we twirl and sway, I realize that this is precisely what I needed—a simple, joyful celebration with the man who has become my anchor.

Adam's lips meet mine in a soft, lingering kiss. I open my mouth, welcoming the gentle exploration, feeling the warmth of his desire. The connection deepens, and for a moment, it's just Adam and me, lost in the intimacy of the kiss. I feel his erection on my stomach and I moan softly in his mouth.

But then, much to my disappointment, he pulls away.

My brows knit in confusion. What just happened? The desire lingering in the air contrasts with the abrupt end of the kiss. Thoughts race through my mind, and a nagging worry takes root. Is he not interested anymore? It's been a while since we've been intimate, especially after everything with Matt, and doubt creeps in.

But I push those thoughts away, determined not to let them overshadow the joy of the moment. Adam has gone out of his way to make my birthday special, and I won't let insecurities ruin it. He's made me so happy, and the surprise celebration was beyond anything I expected. And to think, I thought he had forgotten.