Chapter 39

Mallory

The engine hums softly as Adam navigates the familiar streets, driving towards my house. The anticipation of seeing my parents swirls with a hint of worry, a nagging thought that Matt might be lurking in the shadows. Glancing at Adam, I find reassurance in his focused demeanor, his eyes fixed on the road ahead.

My mind flashes back to our conversation last night, when I recounted the unsettling incidents involving Matt. Adam's understanding and empathy became a balm, soothing the unease that had nestled in my heart. He listened, his expression shifting with every detail, and when I admitted my reluctance to burden him with these troubles, he simply held me closer.

As Adam parks the car outside my house, I draw in a deep breath and exit the car. The front yard, bathed in the warm glow of streetlights, seems both familiar and slightly surreal. I link my arm with Adam's as we make our way to the front door. I put my key into the lock, and with a creak, the door swings open.

The living room is aglow with the soft illumination of lamps, my parents are seated on the couch, engrossed in conversation. As the door closes behind us, their heads turn, and wide smiles break across their faces.

"Mom, Dad, I'm home!" I announce with a cheerful lilt, releasing Adam's arm to rush forward.

My mom rises from the couch, her eyes sparkling with joy as she opens her arms for a hug. "Honey, it's so good to see you," she says, squeezing me tight. My dad shakes hands with Adam and I break away from my mom's hug.

I turn to Adam, a wide grin on my face. "This is Adam," I say proudly.

My mom's eyes light up as she looks at him, a twinkle of approval in her gaze. "It's nice to meet you, Adam," she says warmly.

Adam, in his characteristic charm, replies, "The pleasure is all mine."

"And my, isn't he gorgeous!" she remarks, eliciting an awkward smile from Adam.

I groan, playfully rolling my eyes. "Mom, seriously?" I protest, but the corners of my lips betray the amusement I feel.

Mom just laughs, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "What? I can't appreciate a handsome young man when I see one?" she teases, giving Adam an approving once-over.

I shake my head, unable to suppress my smile. "You can't just say stuff like that," I say, glancing at Adam, who's clearly amused by the exchange.

My dad's eye roll in response to my mom's teasing is a familiar sight, a dance they've perfected over the years. "Why don't the both of you go upstairs and start packing? Adam and I will have a drink; I really think he needs it," my dad suggests, a grin playing on his lips. Adam chuckles and agrees.

My mom and I make our way upstairs to my bedroom. I head to my closet, reaching for my suitcase as my mom settles onto the bed. Her eyes sparkle with curiosity, and with a sly smile, she playfully asks, "So, how's it going with you and Adam?"

A genuine smile lights up my face. "It's going really well, Mom. He's amazing," I reply, my voice carrying a warmth that mirrors my feelings.

As I start filling my suitcase with clothes, she watches with a twinkle in her eye. "He seems like a nice guy. Your father likes him a lot, and that's saying something. He never liked Matt," she comments.

I beam at her words, pleased to know that Adam has won my father's approval. "I truly believe Adam is a great guy. He makes me happy."

While sifting through my wardrobe, I pull out a dress, its delicate fabric catching my eye. The dress is a flowy, floral sundress with shades of lavender and hints of peach. Holding it up, I show it to my mom.

"What do you think? Should I take it with me?" I ask, a playful smile on my face.

She admires the dress and nods approvingly. "Absolutely. It's perfect for a romantic dinner in Greece."

I place the dress carefully in the suitcase, grateful for my mom's advice. The conversation takes a turn, and her next words catch me off guard.

"I talked to Matt's father," she says casually, her tone betraying an underlying weight.

I freeze for a moment, the mention of Matt's name casting a momentary shadow over our cheerful atmosphere. Turning to face her, I inquire cautiously, "What did you talk to him about?"

"After Matt confronted Melanie, I couldn't just stand by," she explains, a hint of determination in her voice. "I called Matt's dad and told him everything Matt has put you and our family through. He was appalled, Mallory. Appalled. He assured me he would address the issue with Matt," she shares, her eyes reflecting a mix of determination and concern. "And, well, we haven't seen Matt around the house these past few days, so I'm guessing he had a talk with him."

"Thank God," I say sincerely, giving her a grateful smile.

As I fold clothes and neatly place them in my suitcase, my mom, in her typically candid manner, changes the topic abruptly. "Are you going to pack some sexy underwear?" she asks with a playful grin.

"Mom!" I scold her, my cheeks flushing with embarrassment. Her laughter rings through the room, and I roll my eyes at her teasing.

"Oh, come on, honey!" she continues, unabashed. "You're going to Greece with a man who looks like a Greek god; you might as well have some fun!"

Admitting defeat, I confess, "Okay, fine, I bought some."

My mom feigns shock, placing a hand on her chest. "You scandalous girl!" she says and we laugh. "Where did you even find him? He's a masterpiece," she adds with a playful grin.

Blushing even more, I scold her again. "Mom, please!"

With my suitcase now filled, I close it and place it on the floor. My mom gets up from the bed and, with a mischievous glint in her eye, asks, "So, are you and Adam planning to stay for dinner?"