Chapter 18

Mallory

The night has fallen, and I'm sitting on my bed with Kylie. She was dying to know what happened, so I invited her for a sleepover to spill all the details. We're both wearing comfortable pajamas – I'm in a set of soft, pale-blue cotton pajamas with a delicate floral pattern, and Kylie is in cozy flannel pajama pants with a matching T-shirt. We're nestled under a sheet, and the room is bathed in the soft glow of a lamp on my nightstand.

I have shared every moment of my hike with Adam, from the motorcycle ride to the forest to our passionate rendezvous by the stream. She's been hanging on to every word with an eager smile.

"Wow, Mallory," Kylie says, her eyes shining with excitement, "how was the sex? Tell me all the juicy details!"

I can't help but laugh at her enthusiasm. "It was amazing, Kylie. Seriously, the best I've ever had. Adam is just... incredible."

Kylie's face lights up and claps her hands in delight, genuinely happy for me. "I'm so glad to hear that, Mallory. You deserve all the happiness in the world."

We continue chatting about the hike, sharing details of the serene forest, the sounds of nature, and the sense of freedom we both felt. The beauty of the experience still lingers in my mind, and I'm grateful for every moment we spent together. Soon, our conversation shifts to the strange mix-up with our phones.

Kylie wonders aloud, "Who could have done something like that, Mallory? It's just so bizarre."

I shrug, perplexed by the whole situation. "I have no idea, Kylie. It's just so strange that someone would mess with my phone." I admit, the frustration evident in my voice.

Kylie frowns, deep in thought. "We need to find out who did this, Mallory. Maybe it was someone who didn't want you and Adam to be together. And if they've done it once, who's to say they won't try to sabotage your relationship again."

I sigh, feeling a hint of frustration. "I know," I reply. "It has to be someone we know. Only my phone was messed with, so it has to be someone from our group of friends."

Kylie says sarcastically, "Well, that narrows it down, doesn't it?" We both share a nervous chuckle. "Could it be Matt?" she suggests.

I shake my head. "It can't be Matt. He didn't have access to my phone."

We both think in silence for a few moments, trying to pinpoint any potential culprits. Then it dawns on me that I hadn't mentioned running into Nick at the café during our date. I quickly fill Kylie in on that part of the story, and she listens, her eyes widening in surprise.

"Nick was probably texting Matt, Mallory. It's a good thing that Adam reacted quickly and took you out of there." she says.

I let out a heavy sigh, my worry for the situation growing. "I can't keep running every time Matt shows up somewhere. But I'm terrified of his reaction when he sees me with Adam."

"What does Adam think about all this, Mallory?" Kylie asks me

I smile, recalling Adam's response. "He said that Matt won't scare him away from me."

Kylie exclaims with a grin, "That's the spirit, Adam! I love that guy, he's a keeper."

I can't help but scold her gently, "Remember what happened between Matt and Sean, Kylie. I can't risk something like that happening again."

She waves off my concerns. "Sean's fine, and you can't stop living your life just because of Matt."

Before I can respond, my phone buzzes on the nightstand. I reach for it and see a text from Adam, a simple "Goodnight" with a heart emoji. I quickly type a response, "Goodnight, Adam. Sweet dreams." Then, I set my phone aside and sink back on the bed next to Kylie.

She giggles and nudges me. "You're totally smitten, Mallory."

I chuckle and don't deny it. "Yeah, I guess I am."

"So, when are you seeing Adam again?" she asks, clearly invested in my budding relationship.

I smile at the thought. "We have plans for dinner on Friday night," I reply. "But after that, I think we'll have to wait until after the final exams. We both need to focus."

Kylie scoffs playfully. "Well, that's some bad timing, isn't it? Meeting someone right before exams. But I'm glad he came into your life."

I nod in agreement, grateful for her understanding. "Yeah, it is, but he's worth it. Actually, he suggested we take a trip together during the summer."

Kylie's eyes light up with excitement. "A trip together? That sounds amazing! There are so many romantic destinations to choose from. You guys could go to Paris, Venice, or Santorini!" She continues to suggest dreamy locations, her enthusiasm contagious. "And we should all go on a double date. It would be so much fun!" she adds.

Just as we're discussing the double date idea, my phone buzzes again, and Kylie teases, "Adam can't seem to get enough of you."

I chuckle, reaching for my phone, but as I read the text, my heart drops. It's not from Adam; it's from Matt. The message simply reads, "What are you doing still up, baby?"

I take a deep breath and turn to Kylie. "Actually, Kylie, this text is from Matt."

Kylie's smile fades, her eyes widening in surprise. "What?!" she exclaims.

I hand her my phone, and she quickly reads Matt's message. "What does he want now?" she asks, a hint of annoyance in her voice.

I shrug, equally puzzled. "I have no idea. How does he even know that I'm up?"

Just then, my phone buzzes again with another text from Matt. This time, it says, "Talk to me, baby."

Kylie's anger flares. "He's got some nerve calling you 'baby' after everything. That's just disrespectful. What a jerk. "

I agree, feeling a mix of frustration and irritation. I type a text to Matt, my tone firm and demanding. "Stop calling me 'baby' and leave me alone."

Seconds later, Matt's response comes in, and it sends a chill down my spine. "I'm outside your house. Can I come up?" My reply is swift and clear: "No."

Kylie is seething beside me, her arms wrapped around me in a comforting hug. She asks softly, "How are you feeling, Mallory?"

I sigh, feeling the weight of unease pressing on me. "It's nerve-wracking, Kylie. Matt showing up everywhere, uninvited, is driving me crazy."

Kylie hugs me even tighter, offering support and comfort as we wait in tense silence. A few minutes pass with no response from Matt, and we both lie back on the bed, feeling a mixture of relief and uncertainty.

"I can't believe he just left," I finally say, breaking the silence.

Kylie agrees, her voice tinged with surprise. "Yeah, it's strange."

I ponder the situation for a moment, then continue, "Maybe I was wrong. Maybe he won't react as badly as I thought if he sees me with Adam."

As the words leave my lips, a soft knock on my window startles us both. We turn towards the source of the sound, and my heart drops when I see Matt's face outside the window. His expression changes from a mischievous smile to confusion when he spots Kylie with me.