Chapter 14

Adam

The early morning air is crisp as I lace up my running shoes, preparing to head out for a jog. The sun is just beginning to cast its warm, golden glow on the world, and the world is waking up with me. As I step out the door, I take a deep breath and let the cool breeze fill my lungs.

The rhythm of my footfalls matches the beat of my heart as I start down the familiar path that winds through the nearby woods. Each step is a calming cadence, a meditation that centers me and clears my mind. Nature is my solace, and on mornings like this, it feels like the world was created solely for my enjoyment.

I pass by towering oak trees, their leaves rustling in the gentle morning breeze. The birds above sing a cheerful symphony, their melodies weaving through the air like a comforting embrace. It's moments like these that remind me of the simple beauty in the world, and the stress of daily life fades away.

As I round a bend, the woods give way to a lush clearing. In the center of it all, a crystal-clear pond glistens like a gem beneath the rising sun. At the far end of the pond, a waterfall tumbles gracefully over a rocky outcrop. It's an enchanting sight, one that feels like a secret haven hidden from the rest of the world.

The cool mist from the waterfall kisses my cheeks, and I reach down to cup the water in my hands. It's refreshingly cold, and I splash it on my face, washing away the sweat of my morning run. I take a seat on a moss-covered rock near the water's edge, appreciating the way the sunbeams filter through the canopy and dance on the surface of the pond. My thoughts, however, turn to a different kind of warmth, a different kind of need. Mallory.

I can't get her out of my head. Mallory's long, flowing blonde hair cascading down her back and her plump, red lips are etched in my memory. Her presence, her captivating smile, and those deep blue eyes held me captivated. The images of our encounter keep replaying in my mind like an addictive film, each scene etched in vivid detail. The way her lips felt against mine, the warmth of her breath mingling with mine—it was a rush of need and hunger that left me wanting for more, and I could tell she felt the same.

We had shared a connection, a chemistry that sparked between us from the moment we met. It was as if the universe had conspired to bring us together that evening, if you believe in those things. Our conversation flowed effortlessly, like old friends catching up after a long absence. Her laughter was infectious, and her eyes sparkled with a mischievous charm that drew me in.

We're supposed to go on a hike tomorrow, a plan we made before parting ways last Saturday. But we agreed to discuss the details over the phone. The sound of the waterfall nearby seems to echo the cascade of thoughts and emotions swirling in my mind.

With a sigh, I pull out my phone and check for any new messages. Nothing. My thumbs hover over the keyboard, and I contemplate sending another message, wondering if she's just been busy or if I've somehow misunderstood our connection. Did I misread her signals? Was I too forward in my approach? These questions torment my mind refusing to let me relax.

I put my phone back in my pocket and lean back on the rock. My fingers trace the texture of the rock beneath me, feeling the ancient, patient presence of the earth. I close my eyes, allowing the sounds of nature to envelop me. The gentle babble of the waterfall and the whisper of leaves in the breeze become a soothing lullaby.

Just as I surrender to the serenity of the moment, my phone vibrates in my pocket, and I startle, my eyes snapping open. My heart races as I fumble to retrieve it, hoping for a message from Mallory. The name on the screen, however, isn't hers. It's a message from Logan, a jarring intrusion into my peaceful reverie.

I open the message and read it with a furrowed brow, my confusion deepening with each word. Logan's words are both blunt and perplexing: "Why haven't you texted back Mallory, you numbnuts?"

I jolt up from the rock, staring at the message in disbelief. Why is he asking this? I did text her, but she hasn't responded. My fingers frantically fly across the screen as I reply to Logan, asking what he's talking about.

Seconds later, my phone pings with his response: "Cut the crap, Adam. Why haven't you texted back Mallory? She's my friend, you idiot."

My heart pounds, and my mind races as I re-read his message. Why is the matter with Logan? I quickly type back, explaining that I've tried to reach her, but she hasn't responded. My thumbs fly over the keyboard, anxiety gnawing at me. "I've tried to reach her, but she hasn't responded. I don't know what's going on."

Logan's reply appears almost instantly, "Mallory just texted me, asking why you haven't replied to any of her messages. What's going on, Adam?" I stare at my phone, disbelief washing over me. I haven't received a single message from Mallory, and I had no idea she was trying to contact me. My thumbs race across the screen, and I reply to Logan, "I don't know what's going on, Logan. I haven't received any messages from Mallory. I texted her, but she never replied."

Logan's next message arrives quickly, and I read it with a growing sense of bewilderment. "Mallory hasn't received any texts from you, Adam," he writes. I stare at the screen, my mind racing. How is this possible? I've been eagerly waiting for her response, convinced that she hasn't replied because she's been busy. But to hear that Mallory hasn't received any of my messages makes my heart sink.

Frustration gnaws at me, and I quickly reply to Logan, my fingers trembling as I type, "I have no idea why my messages haven't reached her, Logan. Please, can you help me set up a date for tonight? I need to talk to her and figure this out."

The minutes that follow feel like an eternity, each second ticking by as I anxiously wait for Logan's response. My mind races with a mix of hope and worry. Did Mallory think I had ignored her? Was she upset or disappointed in me for not responding? The whole situation feels like a terrible misunderstanding, and I'm desperate to clear things up.

Finally, a message from Logan lights up my screen. "Alright, Adam, I've talked to Mallory. She's willing to meet you tonight at the Blue Willow Café. She'll be there at 7:00 PM. Don't mess this up, buddy."

Relief floods through me, and I can't help but smile at the prospect of seeing Mallory again. I type back a quick "Thank you, Logan. I won't mess this up. I'll be there." I put my phone away, my mind still racing with questions.