Chapter 74

Adam

"Maybe it's time to tell her about Mallory."

I snap my head at him, incredulous. "Are you crazy? You know how she operates. She'll try to drive Mallory away, just like she did with my previous girlfriends."

My father leans back in his chair, a thoughtful expression on his face. "I know, Adam, but this time is different. You've never been this serious about someone before. Maybe this time, she won't succeed."

I rub my face with my hands, frustration evident in my voice. "I don't want to subject Mallory to this. My mother will make her life a living hell."

He tilts his head, studying me carefully. "From what it seems, you'll have to sooner or later. If your mother is as relentless as she's always been, keeping Mallory a secret won't work forever. It might be better to face it head-on. And Mallory, she might be stronger than you think."

The thought churns in my stomach, the prospect of introducing Mallory to my mother feeling like a storm on the horizon. But as my father suggests, maybe this time is different.

I glance at my father, the weight of his words settling in my mind. "I'll think about it," I finally say, uncertainty coloring my tone.

He stands up, grabbing my shoulders and giving me a gentle shake. "Whatever you decide, Adam, I'll be by your side. No matter what."

"Thanks, Dad," I reply, grateful for his support.

My father pulls away, looking around. "Where's Mallory? I'd love to meet her."

"I'll go get her," I reply, turning to leave but pausing. "Oh, and by the way, it's Mallory's birthday today."

A grin spreads across my father's face, and he nods in understanding. Upstairs, I enter the bedroom, finding Mallory sitting on the bed, wearing a beautiful mint sundress. She stands up when she sees me, concern in her eyes.

"Is everything okay?" she asks.

I lean in, kissing her gently. "Everything's great. My father wants to meet you."

Mallory blushes and stammers, "Are you sure?"

"Absolutely," I assure her, placing a hand on the small of her back to lead her downstairs.

On the deck, my father turns to us, curiosity in his eyes. "Dad, this is Mallory. Mallory, meet my father, Julian Christensen."

My father steps toward Mallory, taking her hand and kissing it. "It's lovely to meet you, Mallory."

She replies with a warm smile, " The pleasure is mine."

"And Adam told me it's your birthday. Happy birthday, Mallory."

"Thank you, Mr. Christensen," Mallory says, a polite tone in her voice.

He chuckles, "Please, sweetheart, you can call me Julian."

Mallory looks taken aback for a moment and stammers, "Okay."

I turn to my father. "Will you stay for lunch?"

He shakes his head, regret in his eyes. "I have to get back soon."

I understand, though I wish he could stay longer. We exchange pleasantries, and as my father prepares to leave, he pulls me aside. "Think about what we discussed, Adam. It might be time to face this head-on."

I nod, watching as he heads to his car. Mallory and I stand on the deck, waving goodbye, and as his car disappears down the road, I can't shake the feeling that the storm on the horizon is inching closer.

I shake off the ominous thoughts clouding my mind. Today is Mallory's day, and I won't let anything dampen the celebration. I'll talk to her about meeting my mother tomorrow. For now, I want to focus on making the rest of her birthday memorable.

Glancing at the clock, I realize time is slipping away. "Mallory, we should get going, or we're going to be late," I say, a playful glint in my eyes.

She snaps her head in my direction, curiosity written all over her face. "Late for what?"

A mischievous grin plays on my lips. "You'll see," I reply, taking her hand and leading her out to the car.

As we get in, Mallory can't help but ask, "Where are we going?"

I wink at her, savoring the suspense. "It's a surprise."

Her eyes light up with excitement, and she squeezes my hand. "I love your surprises."

As we drive, the scenic landscape unfolds, and after a turn, a picturesque winery comes into view. The sprawling vineyards stretch along the rolling hills, bathed in the warm hues of the setting sun. The winery itself is a charming blend of rustic and modern architecture, with ivy-covered walls and inviting outdoor seating.

Mallory's eyes widen as she points to the winery. "Is that where we're going?" she asks, excitement bubbling in her voice.

I grin, nodding. "Yes, it is."

Mallory claps her hands together, the joy evident on her face. I pull over outside the winery, and we step out of the car, the air fragrant with the sweet scent of ripening grapes. Inside, the air is filled with the rich scent of aged barrels and the soft notes of classical music playing in the background. The tasting room is adorned with wooden barrels, wine bottles displayed like works of art, and large windows that offer a breathtaking view of the vineyards.

Our day at the winery unfolds in a delightful blend of wine tasting and exploration. We sample an array of wines, each sip accompanied by the winemaker's passionate explanation of the flavors and aromas. The sun hangs lazily in the sky as we stroll through the vineyards, hand in hand, taking in the breathtaking scenery.

The winery offers a wine and cheese pairing, a delectable assortment of local cheeses complementing the rich flavors of the wines. Mallory's eyes light up with each new taste, her enjoyment adding to the pleasure of the day.

We find ourselves immersed in the winemaking process, learning about the art and science behind each bottle. The winery's staff is friendly and knowledgeable, enhancing our experience with anecdotes and recommendations.

As the afternoon unfolds, we decide to indulge in a picnic on the winery grounds. A blanket spread beneath a blooming tree provides the perfect spot. We share laughs, stories, and, of course, more wine.

The winery tour concludes with a stunning sunset, the sky painted in hues of orange and pink.

As the sun dips below the horizon, casting a warm glow over the vineyards, Mallory and I find a spot to sit and watch the breathtaking sunset. Wrapped in each other's arms, we share a quiet moment, the sky ablaze with hues of orange and pink. The air is still, filled with the gentle rustle of leaves and the distant sounds of nature.

Mallory takes a deep breath, and I can't help but notice a thoughtful expression on her face. "Are you okay, baby?"

She turns to look at me, a soft smile on her face. "More than okay. Adam, this has been the best birthday of my life. Thank you for everything."

I kiss her forehead, my heart swelling with happiness. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself today, Mallory."

As the last glimmer of sunlight disappears, I press a gentle kiss on the top of Mallory's head. "We should get back," I suggest, a hint of reluctance in my voice.

Mallory nods, her hand finding mine as we make our way back to the car. The evening breeze carries with it the scent of the winery, and as we drive away, I glance at Mallory; I love her so much. I still can't believe that she is in my life; I'll do whatever it takes to keep her in it.