Chapter 87

Adam

"I did," I reply, uncertainty tingeing my words. I'm not quite sure where this conversation is headed. Marcus is more than just a good guy; he's a great guy. Mallory snuggles closer to me, and her next words catch me off guard.

"Well, he is not," Mallory asserts, her tone carrying a hint of frustration. I'm left bewildered. What happened? How could anyone say that Marcus isn't a good guy? Is it opposite day or something? I need to understand what's going on.

"What happened?" I ask, my concern evident.

"Marcus was going out with other girls while he was dating Melanie," Mallory reveals, and my shock intensifies.

"Marcus? Are you sure?" I ask, struggling to reconcile this information with what I know about Marcus. It doesn't add up.

Mallory nods, her expression serious. "Melanie saw him walking with some girl. He had his arm around her shoulders, holding her close."

I pinch the bridge of my nose, processing this revelation. Damn it. This isn't good. I've always considered Marcus to be a stand-up guy. How could he do something like this?

"Are you sure Melanie got it right?" I ask, hoping for some kind of mistake or misunderstanding. "Mallory, Marcus was crazy about Melanie. He talked to me about it a while back, saying she was pulling away, and after a while, she stopped responding to him. He was very disappointed because he really liked Melanie," I explain.

"She's certain it was Marcus. Why didn't you say anything?" Mallory asks, frustration evident in her voice.

I sigh, rubbing my temples. "Marcus asked me not to. He was trying to figure out what went wrong. Damn it, I hope for his sake that he didn't do anything stupid."

Mallory looks at me, her eyes searching for answers. "Adam, I don't get it. How could he do that to Melanie?"

"I don't know," I reply honestly. "But I'm going to talk to him. Find out the whole story. This doesn't make sense."

Mallory nods, her expression a mix of concern and disappointment. "I thought he was a good guy. He seemed so genuine."

"He is," I say, my mind racing to understand the situation. "Something must have gone wrong. I need to hear his side of the story before jumping to conclusions."

Mallory leans into my side, seeking comfort. "It's just disappointing. Melanie doesn't deserve this."

"I agree," I say, wrapping my arm around her shoulders. "Let me talk to Marcus first. Maybe there's more to this than we know."

As I contemplate the situation, a mix of frustration and confusion swirls within me. Marcus was supposed to be a reliable friend and a trustworthy person. If the accusations are true, it's a significant betrayal not only to Melanie but also to our friendship.

The thought of confronting Marcus weighs on me, but it's necessary to understand the truth. I owe it to Melanie, to Mallory, and to Marcus himself. I can't let this situation spiral out of control without trying to salvage something.

"I'll talk to him tomorrow," I tell Mallory, squeezing her shoulder reassuringly. "We'll figure this out."

Mallory looks up at me, her eyes reflecting a mix of emotions. "I just hope it works out. Because something else happened too."

"What happened, baby?" I ask Mallory, concern etched across my face. It seems like the challenges just keep piling up, and we can't catch a break.

Mallory shifts in my arms and sits up, her expression a mix of frustration and disappointment. "Melanie had a huge crush on this guy, Daniel. He was playing with her, though—just wanted her around. She cut him out of her life a year and a half ago, but now he's back. She told me that this time around, they are in a relationship," Mallory explains, her voice tinged with frustration.

Understanding dawns on me. If Marcus had been with Melanie during this time, perhaps it could have prevented Daniel from re-entering Melanie's life. The complexity of emotions on Mallory's face tells me how deeply this situation has affected her.

"Melanie is just so disappointed with guys. She said that after Daniel, she only felt something with Marcus. But then she saw him with that other girl," Mallory adds, her voice carrying a hint of sadness.

I put my hands on her shoulders and give them a reassuring squeeze. "I'll talk to him. We'll get to the bottom of it, don't worry, baby. I am certain it's some big misunderstanding," I assure her, pulling her in for a comforting hug.

Mallory snuggles into the hug, her warmth grounding me. "Thanks, Adam. I just hate seeing her like this. She doesn't deserve to be treated this way."

"I know, baby," I say, my mind already planning the conversation with Marcus. I grab my phone and shoot him a text, asking him to meet me at our usual coffee shop first thing tomorrow morning. His prompt response confirms our meeting at 10:00 a.m. I sigh, feeling the weight of the impending conversation.

Pulling Mallory closer, I bury my face in her hair, breathing in her soothing scent. She's my anchor, and in moments like these, she's all I need. "I will meet Marcus tomorrow morning," I inform her.

Mallory sighs, her fingers gently tracing circles on my back. "Great. I can't wait to hear what he has to say about all this mess," she responds.

I kiss the top of her head and respond quietly, "Me too." Mallory tilts her head up, locking eyes with me. "I was thinking about going shopping with Kylie tomorrow, for the banquet. What's the dress code?" she asks.

I smile at her, my fingers gently brushing a strand of hair away from her face. "It's black tie, but don't worry about it. I've taken care of it," I reassure her.

Mallory's eyebrows knit together, and she shoots me a curious look. "What?" she asks.

"You'll see," I reply, a mischievous smile playing on my lips. I love surprising her, and I'm sure she'll be thrilled with my choice.