Chapter 25

Mallory

The drive back to Adam's apartment is a mix of emotions. Matt's unexpected visit still echoes in my mind, but with Adam by my side, the turmoil inside me begins to settle. I've always prided myself on not being a damsel in distress, but there's something comforting about how Adam stepped in front of me protectively when things got tense.

As Adam navigates the streets, I steal glances at the handsome man next to me. His strong profile, the way his fingers grip the steering wheel with confidence – it's all so reassuring. He catches me staring and flashes a charming smile, his eyes briefly leaving the road. The warmth in his gaze makes my heart flutter.

He takes my hand in his, his touch sending a comforting shiver down my spine. His lips press a gentle kiss onto my hand, his eyes still focused on the road ahead. "What's up, baby?" he asks, his voice a soothing melody that eases the tension within me. The endearment sends a warm shiver down my spine, and I can't help but smile in response.

"I just... I wasn't expecting Matt to show up like that," I admit, my gaze drifting to the passing scenery outside the window. "I didn't expect that he would pick a fight with my father."

Adam tightens his grip on my hand, his eyes reflecting a mixture of concern and frustration. "If he wants you back, he's doing it all kinds of wrong," he remarks, a hint of anger in his tone. "He's not getting you back either way, but I'm sorry that he's putting you and your family through all this."

"I'm glad you were with me today," I sigh, leaning back into the seat.

Adam smiles at my words. "I told you he's not going to scare me away."

"He punched Sean," I remind him. "I don't want anything bad happening to you because of me."

Adam maneuvers his car into a designated parking space at the apartment building, and then turns to look at me seriously. "Mallory, he's not going to scare me away. I really like you, and I feel that there is something real here, don't you?" he says, sincerity lacing his words. "These past few days with you meant more to me than anything else I have experienced in my life. I'm not giving up on us."

His words resonate in my heart, and my pulse quickens. I feel a surge of warmth, a mix of gratitude and affection. I lean in, wrapping my arms around his neck, and kiss him. The soft press of his lips against mine is reassuring.

I rest my forehead against his, our breaths mingling. "I have never felt anything like this either," I confess, my voice soft. "I'm not giving up on us."

"Good," he says, a genuine smile spreading across his face as he pulls me closer.

Adam's lips meet mine again, a soft and reassuring kiss that lingers briefly before he pulls away. "We should probably get inside," he suggests, his voice warm. I nod in agreement, and we both step out of the car. Adam retrieves my textbooks and duffle bag from the backseat, he wraps an arm around my shoulders and we make our way toward his apartment.

Once inside, Adam heads to the study to leave my textbooks, and I follow him. "You can have my desk to study," he offers, glancing at me.

I shake my head, a grateful smile on my face. "I can't take your desk from you. I'll study on the armchair or something."

Adam insists, "No, really, take the desk. I want you to be comfortable."

"I don't want to impose," I respond, genuinely appreciating his gesture.

Adam thinks for a moment, his face lighting up with an idea. Without a word, Adam exits the study, leaving me curious about his sudden disappearance. After a few minutes, he returns, a wide smile on his face, holding something in his hands.

"This is the desk I had during my first years of college," he reveals, setting up a folding desk in front of the armchair. "I saved it when I bought the new one. Now you have your own space."

I arrange my study materials on the desk, feeling the weight of Adam's gaze on me. When our eyes meet, I sense the desire in his stare, and an instant surge of heat pools within me, making me wet. I shake my head, trying to dismiss the tempting thoughts that threaten to distract me. "No way, mister. It's time to study," I say, attempting to assert some semblance of control.

Adam grins in response, his eyes still filled with longing, and I press my thighs together, attempting to suppress the yearning building within me. "Okay," he agrees, approaching me. "Do you need anything else?" His hands trail along my arms, a gentle caress that sends shivers down my spine.

I swallow hard, my heart pounding, and manage to whisper, "No."

"Okay," he says, leaning in to kiss me softly. "Tell me if you need anything," he murmurs, turning away and settling into his chair at the desk. Opening his textbooks, he glances my way, shoots me a playful wink, and begins to focus on his studying.

I sink into the armchair, feeling hot and bothered, and force my attention onto my own books. How am I supposed to concentrate now? My gaze lingers on Adam, already lost in his studies, and I take a deep breath, attempting to regain my focus.

I shake my head, trying to chase away the naughty thoughts that threaten to distract me. Opening my own textbook, I force myself to concentrate on the material in front of me.