Chapter 106

Mallory

The room is filled with the rustling of clothes and the occasional sound of a hanger clinking against the metal rod. My mind, however, is preoccupied with thoughts of Adam's mother and the unsettling encounter at the hospital. What could she possibly do next? It feels like a twisted game with no clear rules, and I can't shake the sense of impending chaos.

I take a deep breath, attempting to ground myself in the mundane task at hand. Folding clothes becomes a meticulous ritual, each item carefully smoothed and creased. The suitcase on the bed gradually fills with neatly folded shirts, pants, and a few carefully chosen dresses.

"My baby is moving away," my mother's voice interrupts my thoughts. I glance over at her; her eyes welling up with tears.

I set down the shirt in my hands and sit next to her on the bed, wrapping my arms around her. "I thought you would be happy, Mom"

She wipes away a tear and waves her hand dismissively. "Of course, I am. I am so excited for you. Adam is wonderful, and that internship sounds fascinating. I'm going to miss you, though," she says, her voice tinged with a hint of nostalgia.

"I'll miss you too. So, so much," I admit, holding her tighter. The impending move is both thrilling and bittersweet. Leaving the familiar behind is daunting, but the prospect of a new chapter with Adam is exhilarating.

Standing up, I return to the task at hand, resuming the packing process. I gather more clothes from my closet, carefully folding each item before placing it in the suitcase. The room is filled with the rustle of fabric and the occasional sigh as my mother watches me work.

"Are you going to help me, or what?" I tease her, a playful grin on my face. My mother shakes her head, adopting a mockingly dramatic tone. "Nope. I'm going to sit here and watch you and reminisce on the time you and Melanie were just little babies," she declares and I chuckle.

Returning to my closet, I select more clothes to fold and place into suitcases. My parents don't deserve any more trouble from Adam's mother. They've been through enough this summer – first with Matt relentlessly pursuing me and kidnapping me, to the ongoing saga with Adam's mother meddling in their lives, they've weathered more than their fair share of challenges. The toll is visible, particularly on my father, whose hair appears to have gained a considerable amount of gray since the summer began.

"How is Adam's father?" my mother inquires as I zip up a suitcase. I take a deep breath before responding, "Still in a coma."

"I hope he wakes up soon. He seems to be a very good man," my mother remarks, and I offer a small smile. "He is. He has always been very kind to me," I share, appreciating the genuine concern in her words.

Closing the last suitcase, I cast a final glance around my room. "This will do for now," I declare, a mixture of excitement and uncertainty swirling within me.

"When is Adam picking you up?" my mother asks, and I check my watch. "Um... in half an hour," I reply, taking a seat beside her.

"I like him a lot. I wish Melanie would find someone like him," my mother says wistfully.

"Well, she almost did, but there was a... misunderstanding," I disclose.

My mother raises an eyebrow, intrigued. "What kind of misunderstanding?"

"This guy, Marcus, is Adam's best friend. They went out, and she was very excited. But she saw him outside with a girl and thought there was something going on between them. Turned out that girl was Marcus' sister," I explain, recounting the mix-up.

My mother's eyes widen in understanding. "Oh... well, that was unfortunate," she observes.

"To put it mildly, yes, it was unfortunate. And the worst part is that by the time I found out about all this, she was back together with Daniel," I sigh, a hint of regret coloring my tone.

My mother shakes her head, her expression thoughtful. "You should tell her," she suggests.

"I tried, Mom. I even tried to invite her for dinner; Marcus would be there too, with his sister! It was the week Daniel was supposed to be away. And then he invited her to the wedding," I explain, emphasizing the word 'invited' with air quotes.

"Doesn't matter, you should try again," she insists.

"Mom, I want him out of her life too, but she wants to come with Daniel," I counter, frustration evident in my voice.

My mother looks into my eyes with a determined gaze. "Doesn't matter, honey. She doesn't have to talk to Marcus; she only needs to meet his sister. Can't you stand being around Daniel for one evening, if it means he is out of her life?" she asks.

I sigh deeply, contemplating the suggestion. She's right. "Okay. I'll talk to Adam. We can have a little get-together before we move out of the apartment," I concede.

My mother nods enthusiastically. "Yeah, a 'farewell party'!"

"Yeah, Mom. A 'farewell party,'" I affirm, and she wraps me in a warm hug. I'm not entirely convinced it will work; Melanie seems deeply entangled in Daniel's web. Still, it's worth a try.

Just as we begin to discuss the logistics of the 'farewell party,' my father enters the room with a serious expression. "What's wrong, Dad?" I inquire.

"Detective Reynolds just called. Matt is out of prison," he reveals, his words landing like a weight in the room. The unexpected news sends a shiver down my spine, and I exchange worried glances with my mother.

"What do you mean, out? Did he escape?" my mother demands, her worry etched on her face.

My father shakes his head solemnly. "No, they set him free," he reveals.

I jolt upright, anxiety coursing through me. "They did what? Why? How?" I ask, but even before the words leave my lips, the answer hits me. Adam's mother. How did she manage to pull this off?

"Detective Reynolds said that due to some undisclosed information, they were ordered to let him go. He is going to try to rectify the situation, but since Matt is out, he thought we should know," my father explains, his voice heavy with concern.

I rub my temples with my hands, trying to process the information. This can't be happening. This nightmare is supposed to be over. The wounds Matt inflicted on our lives are still fresh, and the prospect of him being released sends a wave of fear through me.

My father walks over to me, his hands gripping my shoulders. "Who knows that you are moving away?" he asks with urgency.

"Just you and Kylie," I respond, feeling a sense of vulnerability and dread creeping in.

My father nods resolutely. "Good. Keep it that way," he advises.

My mind races, contemplating the seemingly endless challenges that keep cropping up. What's next? Adam's mother needs to be stopped, but I'm at a loss as to how we can shield ourselves from her relentless interference. The unpredictability of our situation leaves me feeling vulnerable and anxious.

"When are you leaving town?" my father inquires.

"We were supposed to stay and pack Adam's apartment, but I don't think we'll stay the night," I respond, exchanging a worried glance with my mother. Damn it. This means we won't have the chance to invite Melanie over to meet Marcus' sister, a plan that was supposed to help redirect her attention away from Daniel.

My mother nods in understanding and adds, "You should go back tonight."

The chime of the doorbell startles us, and I mutter, "This must be Adam."