Chapter 55

Mallory

The room is bathed in the soft glow of my bedside lamp as I go through the familiar motions of getting ready for bed. I slip into my pajamas, the fabric a comforting touch against my skin. The day's events swirl in my mind, and as I lay on my bed and close my eyes. God, I wish Adam was here.

Despite the fatigue that tugs at my eyelids, sleep eludes me. I sigh, turning to my side and gazing out the window. The moon hangs in the night sky, casting a silvery glow over the world. I try to let the tranquility of the night settle my restless thoughts.

But then, the memory of Matt's face at the window creeps back, a chilling specter that sends shivers down my spine. Anxiety tightens its grip, and I turn to my other side, exhaling deeply in an attempt to shake off the unsettling images.

Closing my eyes again, I focus on willing myself to sleep, but it remains an elusive visitor. Time seems to stretch endlessly as I lie in bed, the silence of the night punctuated only by the hushed whispers of my own thoughts.

My phone buzzes on the nightstand, breaking the stillness of the room. I sit up quickly and grab it, my heart fluttering at the sight of Adam's name on the screen. "Are you up?" his message reads. I smile and type a quick response, "I'm up, baby. How did it go? Are you okay?"

His reply comes after a few seconds, "Could be worse. I'll know tomorrow what all this is about. I'll step into the shower, I'll call you when I get out, okay?" I reply, "Okay," and lean back, waiting for his call.

After a few minutes, my phone buzzes again. I grab it eagerly, expecting to hear Adam's voice on the other end, but it's not him. Kylie's name flashes on the screen. I answer, "Hello?"

"Mallory? Are you up? Can you come here, please?" I hear Kylie's voice through the phone, and my heart sinks. She's crying. "Kylie, where are you? What happened?" I ask, my mind racing as I hastily get out of bed.

"I'm at the 'Pulse.' Sean broke up with me, Mallory," she says, her voice choked with tears.

"I'll be right there," I assure her before hanging up, my thoughts now consumed by the urgency of reaching out to my friend in need.

I hurriedly type a message to Adam: "I'm sorry, baby. I have to go get Kylie. Something happened with Sean. I miss you so much."

Swiftly, I change into something more presentable. As I enter Melanie's bedroom, she's peacefully asleep. I silently grab her car keys, not wanting to disturb her. I slip out of the house, closing the door softly behind me.

I get into Melanie's car, the engine purring to life as I navigate the familiar streets. Damn it, I have to get my own car. The 'Pulse' comes into view, its usual vibrancy replaced by the shadows of the night. I arrive outside the club, grateful to find a parking spot quickly. The neon lights flicker, casting an eerie glow on the pavement. I get out of the car, my steps quickening as I approach the entrance. Pulling my phone out of my pocket, I dial Kylie's number, my heart pounding with worry.

The phone rings, and after a few moments, Kylie's voice comes through, shaky and subdued. "Mallory?"

"Yeah, it's me. I'm here. Where are you?" I ask, scanning the area for any sign of her.

"In the back corner, near the DJ booth," she replies. I navigate through the dimly lit club, the distant thump of music creating an incongruous backdrop to the heaviness in the air.

I find Kylie huddled in a corner booth, her eyes red and swollen. The sight of her pain tugs at my heart. "Kylie," I say softly, sliding into the seat beside her. "I'm here for you. What happened?"

"He just said he needed space, Mallory. He said he couldn't do this anymore," she says, her words carrying the weight of the abrupt end to her relationship.

I reach for her hand, offering whatever comfort I can. "I'm so sorry, Kylie. You don't deserve this."

"Let's get you out of here," I say to Kylie, wrapping my arm around her shoulder. We navigate through the club, the thumping music fading as we step outside. Kylie's voice breaks the silence, "I don't want to go home."

"Then, I won't take you there. Do you want to come back to my place?" I suggest, and she nods, a silent agreement in her tear-filled eyes. We walk to the car when a voice behind me shatters the moment, "Mallory!"

My heart stops as I turn around to see Matt coming closer. "We have to get to the car," I urgently tell Kylie, and we quicken our pace. Matt catches up to us, grabbing my shoulder and turning me around. "Mallory, wait!"

"What do you want, Matt?" I say angrily, my patience thin with the events of the night.

"Please, hear me out," he pleads, desperation etched across his face.

"Matt, this isn't a good time," I say, my focus on getting Kylie out of here.

He scoffs, a bitter laugh escaping his lips. "It never is! Is it?" he shouts at me, frustration taking over him.

"Matt, please calm down. I need to get Kylie home," I urge, trying to diffuse the tension.

"Kylie can find her way home on her own. You are a big girl, aren't you, Kylie?" he says, his words dripping with venom. Kylie looks at him with a mix of confusion and hurt, and I step between them.

"Matt, now is not the time," I implore, my voice firm.

"That's where you are wrong, Mallory. This is the perfect time," Matt says, his laughter sending shivers down my spine. There's an unsettling darkness in his eyes, he's not himself. He grabs my shoulders, his grip tightening. "Now that I've found you alone, you and I are going to talk about us," he declares.

"We have nothing to talk about, Matt; there is no us!" I assert, attempting to free myself from his hold. But he tightens his grip, his fingers digging into my shoulders. "You are hurting me!"

"Let her go, you asshole!" Kylie screams, her voice laced with both concern and anger, as she tries to intervene and pull me away from him.

"Kylie, stay out of this," Matt roars, his attention momentarily shifting to her. "You are coming with me, whether you like it or not, Mallory," he insists.

Before I can react, he hoists me over his shoulder, my attempts to escape futile against his strength. I scream and hit him, Kylie echoing my pleas with her own desperate cries. "Let her go!" she screams, but someone holds her back. I can't tell who it is amid the chaos.

Matt carries me away, his grip unrelenting. I scream for help, but the night conceals my cries. He shoves me into the trunk of his car, the cold metal biting into my skin. "Please, don't do this!" I plead, but my voice is muffled by the closing trunk door.

Fear consumes me as the darkness engulfs my surroundings. The thud of the closing trunk echoes in my ears, sealing me in a space where the only sound is my own erratic breathing. I feel a sense of helplessness, the weight of the unknown pressing down on me as I struggle to comprehend the nightmare unfolding before my eyes.