Chapter 66

Mallory

Darkness greets me as I wake, the blindfold still tight over my eyes. My body aches from the stillness, muscles numb from being confined in this space for far too long. My neck protests, a dull ache from sleeping upright against the cold, hard wall. I lean my head back, seeking a momentary reprieve.

"Good morning, sleepy head. You overslept today," Matt's voice startles me, his tone unnervingly casual.

"I couldn't sleep last night, Matt. I can't sleep like this anymore. I'm exhausted," I reply, frustration evident in my voice.

Matt clicks his tongue dismissively. "Well, maybe if you were a good girl, I'd let you sleep on a proper bed. My bed."

I shake my head defiantly. "No, Matt."

"Suit yourself," he responds, his voice carrying a subtle threat.

"Why do you keep me blindfolded, Matt?" I ask, my patience waning.

"Mind your own business, Mallory. If you stop behaving like a brat, I'll take the blindfold off. I might even let you out of here if you come to your senses," he spats.

The room falls into a heavy silence. As I contemplate the idea of pretending to go along with Matt, my mind racing with the possibilities of escape, I hear a noise that startles me. Matt suddenly covers my mouth, his warning clear. "Not a word."

The door creaks open slowly, and I strain to hear Matt's footsteps. Panic sets in as I hear the muffled sounds of a struggle. Fear grips me as I try to make sense of the chaos unfolding around me.

Suddenly, my blindfold is yanked away. The sudden flood of light blinds me momentarily. A voice breaks through the haze. "Mallory, I'm Officer Thompson. You are safe."

My vision slowly clears, and I see Matt in a violent struggle with policemen, desperate to break free. My heart races as I witness the chaos. Matt pulls a knife from his pocket, and I can't contain a scream, fearing the worst. But, thankfully, he doesn't manage to hurt anyone. The policemen overpower him, handcuffing him and escorting him out.

Officer Thompson turns to me, concern etched on his face. "Can you get up? Can you walk?"

I nod weakly, still trying to process the abrupt turn of events. With his help, I struggle to my feet and follow him outside. The cool air hits me, and the realization begins to sink in—I'm free. Is this a dream?

As I step outside and glance around, I see that we're in the middle of a forest. The air is crisp, and the sunlight filters through the leaves. A hot bath sounds like a luxury I've forgotten. My thoughts swirl, and then I hear a familiar voice.

"Mallory!" Adam's voice calls my name, a lifeline in the midst of this surreal moment. I turn towards the sound, and there he is, his eyes wide with a mix of relief and disbelief.

Then, amidst the bewildering mix of sensations, I hear a familiar voice calling my name. "Mallory!"

I turn, and my eyes meet Adam's. He's running toward me, and I can't believe my senses. Is this real? "Adam!"

In an instant, he's beside me, enfolding me in a tight hug. I collapse against him, my body yearning for the comfort of his presence.

Adam kisses me, his lips pressing against my forehead, a gentle affirmation of the reality we've longed for. He holds me tightly, his words a soothing balm. "You're safe now, Mallory. I've got you, baby. You're safe."

I look up at Adam, tears streaming down my cheeks, and manage a shaky smile. "I missed you so much," I admit, my voice barely a whisper against the backdrop of the surrounding forest.

Adam's eyes glisten as he kisses me on the lips, a tender reassurance that we've made it through the darkness. He rests his forehead against mine, and I can feel the weight of his emotions. "I missed you too, Mallory. I thought I'd never see you again."

A tear escapes Adam's eye, and I gently wipe it away, our lips meeting in a sweet kiss that speaks volumes. We break the kiss, but Adam doesn't let go. He hugs me tighter, as if ensuring that I'm real, that this moment isn't just a fleeting dream.

Detective Reynolds approaches us, a genuine smile on his face. "I'm happy it all ended well," he says, the relief evident in his voice.

He continues, filling us in on the situation. "Matt is being escorted to the police precinct. Ms. Hartley, you need to be taken to a hospital for some tests."

Adam looks at Detective Reynolds, a hint of concern in his eyes. "Can I take Mallory to the hospital?"

The detective considers for a moment before responding, "She should be escorted by the police, but you're welcome to join us."

Adam thanks Detective Reynolds, expressing his gratitude for their efforts. As he turns around to thank someone else, my gaze follows his, and I'm shocked to see him extending his gratitude to Nick. Panic tightens my chest, and I grab Adam's arm. " What... why are you thanking him?" I ask, my voice edged with fear.

Adam turns back to me, his eyes softening. "Mallory, Nick helped find you. He played a crucial role in getting us here."

I look at Nick in disbelief, the weight of the situation sinking in. Nick, who had been a part of the nightmare, had also played a role in its resolution. He meets my gaze, and there's remorse in his eyes. "I'm sorry, Mallory. I didn't realize how troubled Matt's mind was."

I take a deep breath, the conflicting emotions swirling within me. Slowly, I nod, accepting the apology. Nick gives me a small, sad smile and says goodbye to everyone before leaving.

Adam and I follow Detective Reynolds to a waiting squad car, and we get inside. The detective drives us to the hospital, the rhythmic hum of the engine a backdrop to the whirlwind of emotions inside the car. I steal glances at Adam, his presence a comforting anchor in this sea of uncertainties.

Adam and I follow Detective Reynolds to a waiting squad car and get inside. The engine roars to life as Detective Reynolds takes the wheel, driving us to the hospital. Adam holds my hand tightly, a constant reminder that I'm not alone.

As we navigate through the forest, Adam takes out his phone and glances at Detective Reynolds. "Do you mind if I call Mallory's parents to let them know we found her?"

Detective Reynolds nods. "Go ahead."

Adam dials my father's number. As the call connects, he speaks with a calm yet hopeful tone, "Mr. Hartley, it's Adam. We found Mallory. She's safe. We're on our way to the hospital."

Relief floods over me as I hear Adam's reassuring words. He provides details about the situation, assuring my father that I'm okay. The quiet sobs of relief on the other end of the line are almost palpable.

I mouth a silent "thank you" to Adam, grateful for the compassionate way he's handling the situation. He is so thoughtful and kind. The call ends with a promise to meet at the hospital, and as Adam puts his phone away, a weight lifts from my chest. The journey to healing has begun, and for the first time in what feels like an eternity, I allow myself to believe that there might be light at the end of this dark tunnel.