Chapter 65

Adam

The engine of Nick's car growls to a halt somewhere deep in the forest, the air filled with the quiet rustle of leaves and the distant hum of nature. The dense canopy above filters the sunlight, casting a dappled pattern on the forest floor. Nick turns off the ignition and faces me, a serious expression etched on his features.

"We can't go any further by car," Nick says, his eyes scanning the surroundings. "We'll have to go on foot from here."

I nod in agreement. "Probably for the best. We don't want to attract too much attention."

Nick steps out of the car, and I follow suit. The forest embraces us with its quiet beauty, the stillness broken only by the occasional bird song. We tread cautiously, mindful of our surroundings. The urgency of our mission hangs in the air, an unspoken understanding that each step brings us closer to Mallory.

"Follow me," Nick instructs, and we embark on the trek through the forest, navigating the uneven terrain with a shared determination.

As we approach the old mill, the scene unfolds before us. Policemen strategically position themselves, taking cover around the mill, preparing for the operation. The gravity of the situation hits me, and a knot tightens in my stomach. This is it—the culmination of weeks of uncertainty, sleepless nights, and the relentless pursuit of Mallory's whereabouts.

"We should probably find a good place to hide," I suggest to Nick, my eyes scanning the area around the mill.

He nods in agreement, leading us to a concealed spot with an uninterrupted view of the mill. We settle in the shadows, hidden from prying eyes but with a clear line of sight to the action unfolding.

My gaze remains fixed on the old, dilapidated structure. The mill stands as a silent witness to the unfolding drama, its weathered walls echoing the secrets it has harbored. My mind races with conflicting emotions—hope, fear, and an overwhelming desire to see Mallory safe.

"You okay, Adam?" Nick's voice breaks through my thoughts, and I glance at him.

I exhale slowly, the tension evident in my voice. "Yeah, just anxious. This is a lot to take in."

Nick places a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Everything's going to be okay. We're getting her back today."

I want to believe his words, to embrace the optimism that radiates from him. The officers around the mill move with purpose, their expressions serious and determined. The air crackles with anticipation as we await the resolution to this agonizing chapter.

Time stretches, each moment an eternity as we watch and wait. The forest seems to hold its breath, the leaves whispering secrets only they can understand. The sun casts long shadows, painting the scene with a surreal quality. My fingers drum an anxious rhythm on my thigh, the urgency of the situation pressing on me like a weight.

Finally, movement near the mill catches my eye. The police officers shift, signaling a heightened state of readiness. My heart races, hope and fear entwined in a tumultuous dance. The forest holds its breath as we await the climax. And then, the first echoes of commotion. Voices raised, the distant sounds of a struggle.

The sounds of struggle continue, intensifying with each passing moment. I clench my fists, the desire to be in there, to confront Matt and ensure Mallory's safety, almost overwhelming. "I should be in there," I mutter, my voice tense with frustration.

Nick places a firm hand on my shoulder, his grip unwavering. "You going in there would probably endanger Mallory more. Let the police handle it," he advises, his gaze steady. I shoot him a frustrated look, torn between the urge to take action and the realization that impulsivity could make things worse.

Minutes stretch into an agonizing eternity. The forest seems to echo with the sounds of the unfolding confrontation. And then, a woman's scream pierces the air. My blood freezes, and every fiber of my being jolts into action. It's Mallory. Without a second thought, I spring to my feet, the urgency propelling me toward the mill.

But before I can take another step, Nick tackles me to the ground, a forceful intervention to prevent me from charging into the unknown. I struggle against his hold, fueled by the desperation to reach Mallory. "Let me go, Nick! That's Mallory in there!" I shout, my voice a mix of anguish and determination.

Nick's grip tightens, his voice cutting through the chaos. "I know you want to help, Adam, but you can't go in there. You'll make things worse. Let the police do their job."

I stop struggling, panting with the exertion and frustration. Nick releases his grip, and I sit back on the forest floor, my hands shaking. The distant sounds of the ongoing struggle haunt me, a relentless reminder of Mallory's peril.

"I can't just sit here!" I exclaim, my voice strained.

Nick looks at me with a mix of understanding and concern. "I get it, Adam. I do. But running in there won't help Mallory. We need to trust the police to handle this. They're trained for situations like these."

I nod, begrudgingly accepting the truth in his words. Deep down, I know he's right, but the helplessness gnaws at me. The forest seems to close in, the silence between us heavy with unspoken fears. We both listen to the distant chaos, grappling with the uncertainty of Mallory's fate.

"We need to wait," Nick says, a shared sentiment of anxiety etched on his face. "Believe me, I want to storm in there too, but it's not the way. We have to trust the process."

I clench my fists, the minutes dragging on like hours. The screams dissipate into an eerie silence, leaving us with nothing but our thoughts and the distant rustle of leaves. The forest holds its breath, and so do we, suspended in a moment of agonizing anticipation.

And then, a crackling voice over the radio breaks the silence, the words carrying a weight of their own. "We've secured the area. Matt is in custody. Repeat, Matt is in custody."

A wave of relief washes over me, a mix of gratitude and disbelief. They got him. The nightmare might be over. My eyes meet Nick's, and for a moment, we share the unspoken realization that this chapter, however painful, might be coming to an end.

"They did it," Nick says, a weary but genuine smile playing on his lips.

I rise to my feet, my gaze fixated on the old mill. The forest remains in hushed suspense, the air thick with the aftermath of the struggle. Policemen begin pouring out of the mill, and my heart pounds in my chest. Among them, two officers lead Matt, his hands cuffed behind his back. The sight of him stirs a surge of anger, my fists clenching involuntarily.

My eyes follow Matt as the policemen escort him to a waiting squad car. The satisfaction of seeing him in handcuffs is undeniable. The officers efficiently secure him in the back of the car, and I can't tear my eyes away. Justice, albeit delayed, is being served.

But my focus shifts back to the mill, my eyes searching for Mallory. A few anxious steps forward, and there she is—a policeman assisting her out of the mill. Her appearance startles me; she looks thinner, worn down by whatever ordeal she endured inside. The relief floods through me like a tidal wave, and without a second thought, I run towards her.

"Mallory!" I call out, my voice choked with emotion. She turns, her eyes locking onto mine, and she calls my name. The world narrows down to that moment, everything else fading away as I reach her.

I pull her into a tight embrace, my arms holding her as if she might vanish. Mallory collapses against me, and I feel the weight of her exhaustion. Tears well up in my eyes as I kiss her forehead, my lips lingering in a silent promise.