Chapter 42

Matt

The riverside café buzzes with activity as I sit across from Nick. The sun casts a warm glow over the cafe by the river, a serene backdrop to my less-than-serene conversation with Nick.

"You know, it was the right choice, giving up on Mallory," he declares, oblivious to the storm brewing in my eyes.

I shoot him an incredulous look, my annoyance palpable. "What? I didn't give up on Mallory, you moron," I retort, my frustration bubbling to the surface.

Nick raises his eyebrows, a look of confusion etching his features. I roll my eyes, exasperated. "After my father talked to me, I couldn't go back to her house, right? And even if I did, something tells me she wouldn't be there," I explain bitterly. "Where the hell am I supposed to find her? She blocked my number, I don't know where she is, and it's well over a month until classes start again," I add, my groan punctuating the sense of helplessness that has settled in.

Nick whistles, a nonchalant reaction to my predicament. "Maybe Mallory is sending you a message, man. You should leave her alone," he suggests, seemingly indifferent to the turmoil in my chest.

I shake my head vehemently. "No way. That's not happening," I declare, my determination unwavering. "I just have to see her."

Nick, ever the voice of reason—albeit a misguided one—asks, "What good will that do? She'll probably be with Adam."

A smirk plays on my lips at the mention of Adam. "Even better," I reply, the thought of finally confronting him bringing a semblance of satisfaction. "I'll take care of Adam and show Mallory what she's been missing."

Nick's eyes widen with a mixture of surprise and concern. "Dude, come on. What's with the aggression? You're not going to solve anything by starting a fight."

I lean forward, locking eyes with Nick, my determination radiating from every pore. "Sitting idly by isn't going to solve anything either," I assert, my voice steady despite the fire burning within me. "Adam needs to understand that he can't just swoop in and take what he wants. He needs to back off"

Nick leans back, sizing me up with a skeptical expression. "Man, you're asking for trouble. Just let it go."

I clench my jaw, frustration bubbling beneath the surface as I meet Nick's skeptical gaze. "Let it go? You think I can just let this slide?" I scoff, my voice edged with determination.

Nick sighs, his expression one of resignation. "Look, man, I get it. You're hurting, and you want her back. But this might not be the best approach. Give it time. If she wants to talk, she'll reach out."

I clench my fists, the desire to take control of the situation overwhelming me. "I can't just wait around." I say. I close my eyes, pinch the bridge of my nose and sigh.

"Maybe you don't have to," Nick says, interrupting my spiraling thoughts. Irritated, I open my eyes and shoot him a look. He subtly points his head in a certain direction, prompting me to turn my gaze.

My jaw drops.

There she is, jogging by the river – Mallory. The sight sends a jolt through my entire being. She is jogging by the river, clad in black yoga pants and a coral sports bra, her figure captivating even from a distance. "Is it really her?" I wonder aloud, unable to believe my luck. Nick chuckles, "Maybe the universe is on your side," he remarks, shrugging.

I pull some money out of my wallet, my eyes never leaving Mallory. "I'll see you around," I mutter to Nick, my determination reignited. I leave the cafe and begin to follow her. Mallory continues her oblivious jog, her focus solely on the path ahead. She deviates from the river, her trajectory leading away from its calming flow. My mind races to comprehend her destination. Where is she going? And then it hits me — she's heading to wherever she's staying.

Finally, she reaches an apartment building and disappears through the entrance. My heart pounds in my ears as I approach the front door, scanning the names on the doorbells. Anger simmers within me as I read a particular name—Adam Christensen.

The revelation hits me like a punch to the gut. Mallory is living with him, with Adam. The reality of it sends shockwaves through me, and for a moment, I feel like the air has been sucked out of my lungs. So soon? My mind races, trying to process this unexpected turn of events.

Stumbling backward, I take a few deep breaths, attempting to steady myself. I can't let this unravel me. She's moved on, and the fact that it's so quickly with Adam twists the knife deeper. The brief flicker of hope that she might still be available, still within my reach, is extinguished.

I memorize the address, etching it into my memory like a brand, and leave quickly. This can't be happening. I had entertained the thought that she might be staying with him, but I refused to believe it. I convinced myself that Melanie's story about her staying with relatives was true. But it was a lie. A cover-up.

Fuck. What now? The reality sinks in, and my mind becomes a chaotic mess of emotions. Anger, frustration, and a tinge of desperation vie for dominance. I can't accept that she's moved on so swiftly. I can't accept that she's with him.

As I walk away from the apartment building, I realize that I need a plan. I can't let this be the end. I can't allow her to slip through my fingers so easily. Mallory belongs with me, and I won't let Adam stand in the way.

The first step is to understand the dynamics of their relationship. How serious are they? Does she really want to be with him? A plan starts forming in my mind. I need to gather information, figure out their situation, and find a way back into her life.

The fire of determination burns brighter than ever. I won't let Adam take her away from me without a fight. Mallory is mine, and I won't rest until she realizes it. The game is on, and this time, I won't lose.