Chapter 100

Mallory

I step into the hospital, the sterile scent of antiseptic hitting me as I walk through the sliding glass doors. The polished floors gleam under the bright overhead lights, and the hum of activity surrounds me. Nurses in scrubs rush past, patients in wheelchairs navigate the hallways, and the low murmur of conversations echoes through the expansive lobby.

Navigating through the labyrinthine corridors, I follow the signs leading me to Dr. Bennet's office. The steady beep of monitors adds a rhythmic backdrop to the hospital's ambiance. Finally, I reach Dr. Bennet's door, adorned with a small brass nameplate. I take a moment to collect myself, then take a deep breath and knock.

"Come in," I hear a voice from the other side of the door, and I turn the handle, stepping into Dr. Bennet's office. The room is neat and organized, with medical textbooks lining the shelves and a desk cluttered with paperwork. The large window offers a view of the hospital courtyard, and the sunlight streams in, casting a warm glow.

"Ah, Mallory! It's good to see you," Dr. Bennet greets me with a warm smile, rising from behind the desk. "Please, have a seat."

"Thank you, Dr. Bennet," I respond, taking a seat in the chair across from the desk. "I'm really excited about the internship," I express, genuine enthusiasm bubbling beneath the surface. Dr. Bennet returns the sentiment with a nod.

"It's always a pleasure to have eager minds on board. Now, tell me, what sparked your interest in medicine?" Dr. Bennet begins, his eyes curious and attentive.

I take a moment to gather my thoughts before answering. "Well, ever since I can remember, I've been fascinated by the complexity of the human body and the ways in which it functions. I want to be a doctor because I believe in making a difference in people's lives, helping them through their struggles"

Dr. Bennet nods, his interest evident. "A noble pursuit. And do you have a specific area of medicine that you're passionate about?"

I nod enthusiastically. "Yes, I'm particularly interested in oncology, neurology, and cardiology."

Dr. Bennet leans forward, his eyes showing a spark of curiosity. "That's quite a range. Why these three specialties?"

I take a moment to consider his question. "I've seen the impact that diseases in these areas can have on individuals and their families. The resilience and strength it takes to face such challenges inspire me. In oncology, the fight against cancer is a battle that requires not just medical expertise but also emotional support. Neurology fascinates me with its intricate workings of the brain, and cardiology, well, the heart is at the center of so much in our lives."

Dr. Bennet seems pleased with my response. "Well put, Mallory. It's clear you've put a lot of thought into your aspirations. Now, let's talk about your internship. You'll be starting in two weeks. I trust you're ready for the challenges that lie ahead?"

A surge of excitement courses through me. "Absolutely, Dr. Bennet. I'm eager to learn and contribute in any way I can."

He nods, his eyes reflecting a sense of mentorship. "Fantastic. I look forward to having you on the team, Mallory. You'll find the world of cardiology to be both rewarding and demanding. Now, let's get you acquainted with the intricacies of the heart."

The next hour with Dr. Bennet is a revelation. As he delves into the intricacies of cardiology, sharing the challenges and detailing some of his most notable medical cases, I find myself hanging on to every word. The world of medicine unfolds before me, a vast expanse of knowledge and possibilities. Despite the unexpected detour of a gap year, I can't help but feel a spark of excitement for the journey that lies ahead.

Dr. Bennet's passion for his field is contagious, and as I listen intently, I envision myself navigating the complexities of medical cases, making impactful decisions, and contributing to the well-being of patients. The challenges he describes only serve to fuel my determination, and the prospect of gaining hands-on experience becomes a beacon of hope, considering everything that has transpired.

Maybe a gap year won't be so bad after all, I reflect inwardly, even though the choice wasn't mine. The unexpected turn of events has led me to this moment, a meeting with a mentor who will play a pivotal role in shaping me as a professional.

As I leave Dr. Bennet's office, a huge grin graces my face. The internship, which initially seemed like a silver lining, now shines with the promise of growth and learning. I exit the hospital, the crisp autumn breeze invigorating me as I take a deep breath. The world feels full of possibilities.

Walking towards Adam's car, I reflect on the unexpected turns life has taken. Adam's revelation about taking over his family business and the subsequent move back to his hometown left me momentarily stunned. The idea of him stepping into such a significant role, and the implications it might have for us, took time to fully grasp.

Adam suggested that I join him, at least for the semester I won't be attending college. His father, recognizing my interest in medicine, offered to set me up with an internship at the local hospital under one of his childhood friends. The prospect is both exciting and intimidating. I've never lived away from the town where I grew up. The thought of navigating unfamiliar territory stirs a mix of excitement and apprehension within me.

I get into the car and set the GPS to the hotel where Adam and I are staying for now, and start driving. I'm so grateful to Adam; he and his father have gone above and beyond to make up for his mother's actions. Dr. Bennet is one of the best cardiologists in the country, an internship under him will do wonders for my resume.

Arriving at the hotel, I park the car and make my way inside. Adam is waiting for me in the lobby, a warm smile on his face.

"How was it?" he asks, his enthusiasm palpable.

I can't help but beam. "It was amazing, Adam. Dr. Bennet is incredible, and the stories he shared were fascinating. I can't wait to start the internship."

Adam pulls me into a hug, his support and pride evident. "I knew you'd love it."

"I still can't believe your father did that for me," I confess, my voice filled with genuine appreciation.

"He's always been supportive, Mallory. He sees potential in you, just like I do," Adam replies, his expression filled with pride.

"Thank you, Adam. Please thank your father for me," I say, my gratitude extending beyond the confines of words.

Adam leans down and places a gentle kiss on my forehead. "He was happy to help, baby."