Chapter 104

Mallory

This day truly took an unexpected turn. I was still overly excited about my internship when Adam's call interrupted my joy. The news about his father, Julian, was heart-wrenching. Julian is truly a wonderful man, kind and generous, such a great father. My heart broke when I saw Adam's face upon entering the hospital—his expression pained and broken. I wish I could make everything alright for him, but I can't. Thank God, I thought about calling Dr. Bennet. He will definitely let us know more details, given his close relationship with Adam's father.

Adam and I follow Dr. Bennet to his office and take our seats in front of him. The atmosphere is heavy with uncertainty, and I find myself holding onto Adam's hand for support. Dr. Bennet begins, "As you know, your father had a terrible heart attack. If he wasn't already in a coma, I would have him in a medically induced one. But I think he is going to be okay." I exhale, feeling a mix of relief and concern. I glance at Adam, and he looks visibly relieved.

"Go home, Adam. He is not waking up tonight. There is not much you can do here, except exhaust yourself. I'll call you if there are any more updates," Dr. Bennet advises.

"Thank you, Ted," Adam says, gratitude evident in his voice. Dr. Bennet waves him off with a reassuring smile. "It's my job. And your father is one of my closest friends. I'll make sure he recovers fully."

Leaving Dr. Bennet's office, relief floods over me. I squeeze Adam's hands, seeking a connection and offering silent support. He glances at me, a small, appreciative smile forming on his lips. Together, we walk outside, and I lead Adam to the car.

As we get into the car, I take the driver's seat, ready to navigate the journey back to the hotel. The atmosphere inside the car is heavy with unspoken emotions. I steal a glance at Adam and notice the exhaustion etched on his face. "How are you feeling?" I ask, trying to provide some comfort.

There's a brief pause before Adam responds, "Numb."

I steal a glance at him, my eyes meeting his momentarily before focusing back on the road. The numbness he describes must be a fragile shield against the storm of emotions that will inevitably follow. I can't fathom what he's going through; the mere thought of something happening to my father makes my heart ache.

A sudden squeeze on my thigh startles me, and I turn to see Adam looking at me. His eyes hold a mixture of gratitude and vulnerability. "Thank you for being here today," he says, and I offer a soft smile.

"Where else would I be? Of course, I would be by your side," I respond, my eyes remaining fixed on the road. The rest of the drive is filled with a contemplative silence, the weight of the day settling between us.

We arrive at the hotel, and I park the car. Both of us step out, I slide under Adam's arm, and he holds me close as we walk towards the hotel entrance. The lobby is quiet, and the receptionist greets us with a polite nod. We make our way to the elevator, its doors opening with a soft ping.

As we ascend to our floor, Adam leans against the elevator wall, his eyes closed. I reach for his hand, intertwining our fingers, offering silent support. The ding of the elevator signals our arrival, and we step into the hallway, the soft glow of the hotel lights guiding our way.

We get in our hotel room and Adam, worn out and emotionally drained, sinks onto the bed, his back meeting the soft mattress. He rubs his face with his hands, and my heart aches at the weight he's carrying. I join him, lying down next to him. Gently, I start stroking his hair, offering what little comfort I can.

Adam lowers his hands from his face, his pain-laden eyes meet mine. He leans up on his elbows, studying my face intently. I instinctively cup his face, my thumb tenderly caressing his cheek. Adam takes my hand, bringing it to his lips, and the sensation sends tingles through my skin. "Thank God you are here," he whispers, leaning into my touch, and a soft smile graces my lips.

"You ground me, make me think straight. I was ready to give in to my mother's crazy demands until I saw your face," he confesses, his voice barely audible. The depth of his pain is palpable, and it hurts to see him bear the burden of his mother's actions.

His eyes reveal a vulnerability that tugs at my heartstrings. "Don't you ever think that, Adam, ever again," I say, determined to banish any doubt from his mind.

"It's too much. Sometimes, I fear you'll get tired, and..." he starts, but I interrupt him with a kiss. It's not just any kiss—it's fervent, desperate, as if trying to convey emotions that words cannot capture. Adam responds with equal intensity, his hands pulling me close to him. The warmth of his body is a comforting anchor, his scent intoxicating.

We finally break the kiss, and Adam looks deep into my eyes. "Adam, I have never felt like this with anyone. I want to see where this takes us. I won't leave you because of your mother. I love you, baby. I'm all in," I say, pouring my heart into the words. Adam has proved himself to me time and again, I won't let him think that I will give up on him.

Adam's smile is a balm to my soul as he pulls me into another tight hug. "All in, baby. All in," he whispers, his words sinking deep within me, warming my heart. He pulls back, kissing my forehead with a tenderness that makes my heart flutter. "We should get something to eat," he suggests, and I nod in agreement.

Rising from the bed, he grabs his phone, but a groan escapes his lips. "Shit, I missed the call from the realtor," he says.

Curious, I ask, "You found a realtor?"

"Actually, my dad set us up with his realtor. I'll call him back," Adam explains, already dialing the number. I observe him pacing around the room, engaged in conversation with the realtor.

"Hey, it's Adam. Sorry, I missed your call. Yeah, we're still interested in checking out some apartments. Tomorrow works for us. Great, looking forward to it. Thanks."

Adam eventually hangs up and informs me, "He has some time tomorrow to show us some apartments."

I step closer, wrapping my arms around his neck, and Adam's hands find a comfortable place on my waist. Rising on my tiptoes, I plant a gentle kiss on his lips. "Okay, we'll drop by the hospital, and then we go check out the apartments," I suggest, and a smile forms on his lips.