Chapter 69

Mallory

We make our way towards the front door, the key turning in the lock with a comforting click. As the door swings open, the scent of aged wood and memories fills the air. The interior is cozy and inviting, with sunlight streaming in through large windows that frame a breathtaking view of the lake.

The living room is adorned with comfortable furniture, and a stone fireplace stands as a centerpiece. Adam guides me towards the back, where a spacious deck overlooks the lake. The water sparkles in the afternoon sunlight, its gentle ripples creating a mesmerizing dance. Adirondack chairs are strategically placed, inviting us to sit and savor the view.

The dock stretches out into the water, a silent invitation to dip toes into the cool embrace of the lake. Trees surround the property, offering a sense of seclusion and peace. It's a place where time seems to slow, and worries are left at the door.

As I soak in the serene beauty, Adam wraps his arms around me from behind. His embrace is a balm, and I feel the tension of the past days slowly melting away. He murmurs in my ear, "I wanted so much to bring you here."

"It's beautiful," I reply, turning in his arms to face him. He leans down, and our lips meet in a deep, longing kiss. His hug tightens, as if trying to convey the depth of his emotions.

As we break the kiss, Adam sighs, resting his forehead against mine. "I was going crazy, Mallory. I was afraid that Matt hurt you."

Hesitatingly, he asks, "Did he hurt you?"

His vulnerability tugs at my heart, cupping his face in my hands. "No, Adam. I'm okay. I'm here now, with you." A tender smile curves my lips. "I was afraid I would never see you again."

Adam pulls me into another tight hug, and I bury my face in the crook of his neck. The sense of security in his arms is a balm to the lingering scars of fear. After a few moments, he reluctantly pulls away, his concern lingering. "I should probably set up the bedroom. You need to rest."

"I'll help you," I offer, following him back into the lake house.

We ascend the stairs, his hand in mine, and the subtle creak of the wooden steps adds to the charm of this rustic haven. As we reach the hallway, Adam opens a door to reveal a linen closet. He grabs some sheets, and together, we make our way to the bedroom at the end of the hall.

We enter the master bedroom, and I'm immediately struck by the breathtaking view it offers. The room is bathed in soft, natural light pouring in through large windows that frame a panoramic display of the lake. The bed, positioned to maximize the view, adorned with a luxurious duvet, in soothing shades of azure and ivory.

Adam and I change the sheets together, and as we finish, Adam opens a dresser, offering me a shirt to change into. "Here, this should be more comfortable."

"Thanks," I reply, taking the shirt from him. A sense of normalcy settles in, even as the events of the past days linger in the background. As I change, I glance around the room, taking in the details—the muted colors, the subtle decor that echoes the tranquility outside.

"We're going to need some clothes," I suggest, the realization dawning on me. "Maybe I could ask Melanie to bring us some?"

Adam's expression tightens, and he shakes his head. "No, I can't risk Matt following Melanie here. I'll take care of it."

Before I can protest, he continues, "I'll take care of it. For now, change into the shirt and get some sleep."

I acquiesce, feeling the exhaustion catching up to me. Changing into his shirt, I crawl onto the bed. Adam pulls the curtains closed, dimming the room. He lies down beside me, and I nestle into the warmth of his embrace. His arms wrap around me, a shield against the residual fears that linger.

"Sleep, Mallory," he murmurs, his voice a soothing lullaby. I close my eyes, the weight of the past few days finally catching up. Adam holds me until the steady rhythm of his breathing becomes a gentle anchor, guiding me into a peaceful slumber.

I wake up a few hours later, the room bathed in the soft glow of evening light. Panic grips me momentarily; Adam isn't beside me. I sit up abruptly, scanning the room with wide eyes. Where is he? A surge of anxiety propels me out of bed, and I rush downstairs in search of him.

As I descend the stairs, I spot Adam's back in the kitchen. Relief floods through me, and I release a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. "Adam," I call out, my voice still heavy with sleep.

He turns around, a warm smile spreading across his face. "Baby, you're up," he says, approaching me with open arms. I step into his hug, needing the reassurance of his presence.

"I didn't see you next to me, and I freaked out," I admit, my voice muffled against his chest.

"I'm sorry," he murmurs, squeezing me. "I thought you'd be hungry when you woke up, so I had to prepare something."

"What are you making?" I ask, the aroma in the air tempting my appetite.

"Well, there wasn't much to choose from, but we were lucky. I found a tray of frozen lasagna in the freezer," he says, a hint of pride in his voice. "I've also made arrangements for groceries and clothes."

I smile, genuinely touched by his thoughtfulness. "Thank you for taking care of me."

Adam kisses me gently, and as he pulls away, he asks, "Take a seat at the table; I'll set it up."

I comply, settling into one of the chairs, watching Adam move around the kitchen with a sense of ease. The clinking of plates and the gentle hum of activity fill the air, creating a comforting background melody.

As Adam sets the table, I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt for the worry I must have caused my parents. "Did you talk to my parents?"

He nods, placing the last fork on the table. "Yeah, I did. I let them know that we're out of town because Matt posted bail. They were relieved to hear that I took you away."

A mixture of emotions swirl within me—gratitude for Adam's consideration, concern for the strain this must be putting on my family. "I hope they're okay," I say, my gaze fixed on the table.

Adam joins me at the table, squeezing my hand reassuringly. "They're worried about you, Mallory. But they trust me to keep you safe."

His words wrap around me like a protective shield, and I'm grateful for the support he provides in this tumultuous time. "Thank you, Adam. For everything."