Chapter 8

Matt

"You didn't miss me, Matt." Mallory replies quietly. She left the window, but I can tell that she likes my impromptu drop-by.

"I did, baby. Didn't you miss me?" I ask, my heart pounding at the possible answers Mallory could give me. I hope I am not too late.

"I missed you, Matt. I don't anymore." I hear her say and my heart breaks a little. "You replaced me so quickly?" I roar, instantly regretting my words. I roll my eyes and pinch the bridge of my nose, praying I didn't ruin everything with my outburst. Way to ruin everything in the first two minutes, jackass.

"Mallory, please, I didn't mean that." I mutter when she doesn't respond, trying to salvage the situation. "Please, baby..."

"Don't call me baby" she sobs and my heart sinks even further, and a deep sense of regret washes over me. I wish I could reach through the phone and hold her, to wipe away those tears and make things right again.

"You will always be my baby. Please let me in... or at least come down" I breathe and look at her window hopefully.

"Okay" she sighs after a few moments of silence. "I will come down, but only for a few minutes"

"Okay" I beam. "I'm waiting right here, baby"

I put the phone in my pocket and turn my gaze to the night sky. The stars twinkle above, painting a tapestry of shimmering lights in the inky canvas of the night. So far so good, I think as my hand combs through my hair. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, filling my lungs with the crisp, floral-scented air. As I open them again, I see Mallory coming out of the front door and I can't help but smile; the biggest smile in my face the last months.

Mallory approaches me and I take a moment to appreciate her; her long blonde hair falling in waves on her back, her long, toned legs are on display. She is wearing a silk robe, tied in the front but unable to hide the gorgeous figure beneath. I feel my cock coming to life at the thought of my hands under that robe, roaming her hot body, caressing her soft skin.

I watch as Mallory steps closer, her presence captivating and her beauty undeniable. She stops just a few feet in front of me, her piercing gaze locking onto mine, her arms crossing in front of her, pressing those perfect tits together. My erection is now painfully pressing against my jeans and I struggle to keep my thoughts in line.

"What do you want, Matt?" she demands and I realize that she may not be that happy to be out here with me. I try to reach her, but she takes a step back. "Why are you here?"

"I missed you" I whispered and she rolls her eyes. "I missed you so much, babe. I was a fool; I know that now. I've been thinking about you, about us, non-stop. I can't stand the thought of you not being in my life. Please, baby, I..."

"Don't call me baby" she hisses and my eyes widen. "You don't get to call me baby, okay? You don't get to show up at my house in the middle of the night." Her eyes fill with tears as she spats angrily at me.

Without thinking, I reach out and grab her wrist, gently but firmly, pulling her close to me. She resists at first, but then her strength seems to wane, and she collapses into my arms, sobbing uncontrollably. Her body trembles as I hold her tight, her tears soaking my shoulder. I curse myself under my breath, unable to stand the pain I've caused her.

"Shh, baby, it's okay" I soothe her. "I'm here now, baby, I'm not going anywhere"

"No" she sniffles and she pushes my chest with her hands, trying to create some distance between us. She takes a step back and wipes the tears off her face. "No, Matt, I don't want you to be here."

Anger courses through my body and I feel jealousy taking control of my actions. I want to fix this, to make things right, but it seems like every word I say only makes it worse. My hands clenched into fists at my sides, I turn on my heel and take a few steps away from her, trying to calm myself unsuccessfully with deep breaths.

"I told you I made a mistake." I seethe and I turn to look at her, her eyes red, her skin flushed. I seethe, my voice laced with frustration. I turn to look at her, her eyes red, her skin flushed. I can't bear the thought of her with someone else. The mere idea sends a surge of possessiveness through me. I lunge at her and grab her wrist, pulling her close to me. "Who is he, Mallory?" I roar, my anger uncontainable. "Who is that guy that made you throw away the two years we were together?" My voice trembles with fury, and I search her eyes for answers.

Mallory's eyes darken with anger, and I feel her pull her arm back from my grip. She takes two steps back, her words cutting deep. "This is not about Adam, okay? You hurt me and for what? To live your life! Do you know how much that hurts? To know that the person you love feels you are weighing them down? To know that they love you but they choose not to be with you, because they won't "experience life the way they want to"? Do you have any idea what that did to me? I mourn and miss our relationship, Matt, but not you. Because everything was real to me, but it seems it that it wasn't real for you. And to top it all off, you come back the minute you see me with someone else? Not to mention crashing Kylie's party. I won't let you play with my feelings, Matt. Go, live your life to the fullest without me." Mallory rants and I am left speechless.

Before I can utter a word, she gracefully pivots away from me and gets back into the house. I turn my gaze to her window, and a few moments later I see her standing there. We look at each other for a brief moment, before she closes her curtains and her bedroom light goes off.

I turn and make my way back to my car, feeling the weight of my foolishness pressing down on me. Mallory's words ring in my ears, and I can't deny that I had been selfish in my pursuit of "living my life to the fullest" without considering her feelings. I know I can't force Mallory to take me back, but I'm willing to do whatever it takes to win her back.

As I drive away from her house, the night sky still filled with stars, anger simmers within me. I can't help but feel resentful towards Adam, the man who seems to have replaced me in her life. It feels like a betrayal, even though I was the one who initially walked away.

I will win her back; I am not ready to give up on Mallory yet.