Chapter 26

Matt

Nick leans back in his chair, eyeing me critically. "You really fucked up confronting Mallory's father like that," he states, a mix of frustration and concern in his voice.

I roll my eyes at him, brushing off his comment. "No shit, Sherlock. Couldn't help it, though. Drove me mad that she was out all night, doing god knows what." I let out a heavy sigh and glance around at my surroundings. We're at a cafe by the riverbank, the gentle breeze and the distant sound of flowing water creating a somewhat calming atmosphere, a stark contrast to the turmoil in my mind.

Nick leans forward, concern etched on his face. "Man, you need to chill. Acting like this won't help your case."

"Mallory showed up with Adam while I was fighting with her father," I confess, frustration evident in my voice.

"Holy shit," Nick exclaims. "They spent the night together?"

I growl in response, the memory of Mallory stepping out of Adam's car and him positioning himself between us still vivid in my mind. "Yeah, apparently they did."

Nick leans back in his chair, processing the information. "What happened next?"

I grit my teeth, recalling the moment. "I saw red, man," I admit. "I walked towards her, screaming, and he just steps in front of me like he owns the place. Her father talked some sense into me, and I left before things got ugly."

"Thank god," Nick says with a sigh of relief.

I sigh, feeling a twinge of frustration. That was a lie. It wasn't Mallory's father who stopped me. The reality is, I didn't expect them to have spent the night together so soon, and that unexpected development disarmed me more than her father's interference. I can't shake the image of Mallory in that prick's arms since yesterday, making the sounds that I know so well. Her whimpers and moans as she slowly reaches her climax, her screams as her tight pussy was pulsating around mine.

And now those sounds, that sight, wasn't mine to see. It's his.

Nick leans back, studying me. "So, what's your plan now?" he asks.

I run a hand through my hair and shrug. "I have no idea."

"Have you talked to Rachel about it?" he suggests.

I scoff at the suggestion. "No. She won't be any help, trust me."

Nick raises an eyebrow. "You never know. Considering the mess she created with their phones, maybe she'll help."

"What good did that do, Nick?" I snap. "They eventually got in touch. Dumb idea."

He shakes his head. "It wasn't a dumb idea. It's weird they managed to get in touch at all."

Rolling my eyes, I remain unconvinced. The silence hangs between us for a few moments before Nick speaks again.

"Maybe you should let Mallory go," he suggests, his tone cautious.

My eyes shoot daggers at him. "What are you talking about?"

He raises his hands defensively. "You broke up with her for a reason, and that reason still exists. Did you expect her to wait around forever?"

Nick presses on. "You wanted to experience single life, Matt. Remember? You broke up with your girlfriend of two years for, what, three months' worth of experiences?" His tone is sarcastic, challenging.

I scoff at Nick's words, dismissing his advice. "You don't get it, Nick." He points in the direction of a beautiful woman sitting at a nearby table. I glance at her, finding her staring directly at me. A subtle smile plays on her lips as our eyes meet.

Nick smirks, saying, "She hasn't taken her eyes off of you since you walked in"

I divert my gaze, brushing off the attention, but Nick scoffs. "You'll regret it if you keep pursuing Mallory," he warns. "You were afraid it was getting too serious for your age before. If you win her back, then it's 100% serious." he adds, trying to inject some sense into my stubbornness.

I take a moment to consider Nick's words, then turn to glance at the woman who's been eyeing me. She's an elegant brunette with striking blue eyes, and her confidence is evident in the way she carries herself. Taking a deep breath, I decide to take a chance.

Standing up, I leave Nick at our table. He grins and mutters, "Lucky bastard," as he pulls out his wallet to settle the bill. I walk over to the woman, who seems pleasantly surprised by my approach. As I reach her table, I flash a charming smile, taking her hand and bringing it to my lips.

"I'm Matt," I introduce myself with a confident demeanor.

She returns the smile, revealing a set of perfect teeth. "Hi Matt, I'm Claire." she motions for me to take a seat next to her and I oblige. "So, Matt, what has gotten you in such a bad mood?" she inquires.

Before I can respond, a clearing throat interrupts the moment. I turn to see Rachel standing there, looking angry and perturbed.

I return my attention to Claire and reply, "Nothing that should concern you," attempting to sound sweet and carefree.

Rachel clears her throat pointedly, and Claire looks between us, sensing the tension. I roll my eyes and apologize to Claire, asking her to excuse me. Standing up, I approach Rachel and grab her arm, forcefully dragging her away from the table.

"What the fuck, Rachel?" I ask, frustration evident in my tone.

"What the fuck, Matt?" she retorts, mocking me. "I thought we had an understanding."

"Me too," I reply sharply. "Except you disappeared for a week, and guess what? Mallory spent the night with Adam last night." I drop the bomb, and Rachel's jaw drops in disbelief. "You were supposed to give me inside information. What the fuck happened?" I demand.

Rachel stammers, "I don't know. I talked to Mallory yesterday. She said she was going to stay in to study. I even asked her when she was going to see Adam again, and she didn't know."

I release her arm and run my hands through my hair in frustration. "Get your shit together, Rachel," I growl. "Come up with something fast."

She retorts, "Getting your dick wet won't help you get Mallory back."

Unable to contain my anger, I lunge at her, grabbing her shoulders. "I'll do whatever the fuck I want!" I snap. Without another word, I turn on my heel and head back to the table, only to find that Claire has left.

"Fuck", I curse under my breath, frustration boiling within me.