Chapter 56

Adam

The first stirrings of consciousness gently pull me from sleep. It takes a moment before I realize where I am. As reality settles in, I sigh and sit up, the events of the previous night returning like an unwelcome visitor.

I reach for my phone on the nightstand, the absence of messages from Mallory causing a pang of unease. I tap her contact and call, but there's no answer. She must be still asleep. A hint of worry lingers as I get off the bed and I decide to check on her later.

I get off the bed and head to the kitchen, where James greets me with his usual cheerfulness. "Master Adam! Good morning! I'll prepare your breakfast right away," he announces.

I wave him off. "No, James, thank you. I can do it myself." I grab the coffee pot, pouring a cup for myself before heading to the garden.

I know my mother is already there. As I step outside, there she is, seated at the table, wearing a large hat that shields her from the morning sun.

"Good morning, Mom," I say, taking a big sip of my coffee and settling into the chair.

"Good morning, honey. How did you sleep?" she asks.

"Okay," I reply, keeping my response vague. I don't want to delve into the complexities of my restless night.

"Just okay? I'm sure your bed here has a better mattress than whatever you have at your apartment"

"Tactful as always," I remark, and she clinks her tongue.

I glance around the garden, vibrant flowers bloom in a myriad of colors, and the sweet fragrance of blossoms fills the air. The sound of a gentle fountain adds to the peaceful ambiance. Mallory would love it, I think to myself, a smile tugging at my lips.

Interrupting my thoughts, my mother speaks up, "Well, Adam, dear, you should get ready. Our guests will arrive in about half an hour." She checks her watch and stands up, motioning for a member of the staff to clean up the table.

"What guests?" I ask, caught off guard. My mother leaves the garden, her voice carrying over her shoulder, "The Vanguards, of course."

I sit back, speechless. The Vanguards? Seriously, Mom? I can't believe she is still on that. I finish my coffee, the bitterness of the situation lingering on my tongue, and return the mug to the kitchen. Washing it, I place it to dry, trying to compose myself.

Returning to my bedroom, fury courses through me, and I slam the door behind me. I pace the room, the walls feeling like they're closing in. I can't believe it. I can't go along with this. My phone buzzes on the nightstand, a brief reprieve from my internal turmoil. I rush to answer it, expecting Mallory's voice, but it's Logan on the other end. "Hello?" I answer, attempting to sound calm.

"Adam? Hey, man," he says, a hint of hesitation in his voice.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask, my nerves already on edge.

"Look, man. Don't freak out. It's Mallory," he says, and my heart sinks. The room feels suddenly colder.

"What about Mallory?" I ask, my voice more urgent now, my heart beating in my ears.

He sighs heavily on the other end. "She went to the 'Pulse' yesterday to get Kylie. Matt was there, and he took her."

Took her? The panic rises within me. "Took her? Where?" I ask, desperation seeping into my words.

"I don't know, man. Kylie said that he shoved her in the trunk of his car and left. Nobody has heard from her since."

"I'll be there in a few hours, Logan. Please, call me as soon as you hear anything," I say, my voice tight with concern.

"Sure thing. Drive safe," Logan responds before hanging up.

My hands tremble as I gather my things and hastily get dressed. I sit on the edge of my bed, I take a few deep breaths, attempting to steady myself. I can't drive in this state. If Matt has laid a finger on Mallory, he's a dead man. The thought intensifies the anger coursing through me, but I focus on bringing my heart rate back to a manageable level. I grab my bag and head downstairs.

As I reach the top of the stairs, I hear my mother's voice, "Welcome, darling. You look so beautiful. Adam is so excited to see you again." I roll my eyes, irritation bubbling beneath the surface, as I get down the stairs.

"Adam, just in time," my mother says, a smile playing on her lips. However, her expression fades when she notices the bag slung over my shoulder. "Where are you going?"

"I have to go back home. Something came up," I announce, my tone leaving no room for argument.

"Mrs. Vanguard, Eleanor," I nod toward the two ladies in greeting and move toward the door.

"Adam Harrison Christensen! Where do you think you are going?" My mother squeals, her high-pitched voice echoing in the driveway as she follows me to my car. I open my trunk and toss my bag inside.

"I told you, I'm going home," I grunt, closing the trunk with more force than necessary.

"We have guests," she says, trying to reason with me.

"No, Mom. You have guests. You! Not me! I don't want to see the Vanguards, you do. I was never excited to see Eleanor, Mom. You should stop lying and stop meddling in my personal life!" I shout at her, my frustration boiling over.

"This is for your own good, Adam! Eleanor is perfect for you; she is beautiful and well-mannered—" she begins, and I interject.

"Not to mention filthy rich, right? Because that's what you care about, isn't it?" I retort, the bitterness in my tone mirroring the resentment I feel.

"Adam, it is strategic that you marry her. But the girl has a lot of good qualities!" she insists, a futile attempt to justify her actions.

I've had enough. I open the car door and get in, determined to put an end to this absurd discussion. "Then you should marry her," I say, slamming the door shut. I start the engine, drowning out her protests, and drive away, leaving my mother shouting my name in the distance.

There's no way I'm staying here. I have to go home. I have to find Mallory.