Chapter 52

Adam

The journey home feels longer than usual, my hands gripping the steering wheel as the miles pass beneath the tires. An unsettling feeling tugs at the edges of my mind, but I force it away. It's just nerves, I tell myself. Going back home after months away is bound to bring up some anxiety.

Three and a half hours on the road have passed, and the thought of being just thirty minutes away from my childhood home tightens the knot in my stomach. My mind is a whirlwind of thoughts, racing through the possibilities of what my mother might want.

Mallory's face flashes in my mind, her laughter, the way she looks at me with those sparkling eyes. I miss her already. It's a strange sensation, the physical ache of being away from someone you care about deeply. Mallory has become a vital part of my life, and the prospect of spending even a few days without her seems daunting. Love, I muse, recognizing the emotion that has woven its way into my heart. It might be too soon for those three little words, but I've never been more certain about anything in my life.

My mother's face invades my thoughts, a jarring contrast to the warmth that Mallory's image brings. The scars of my past break-ups, orchestrated by my mother, still linger. I can't fathom the pain it would bring if she were to repeat that pattern with Mallory. The mere idea of Mallory being driven away sends a shiver down my spine, and I clench the steering wheel.

A deep breath steadies my nerves as the sight of the mansion appears on the horizon. The looming structure holds a wealth of memories—some happy, others less so. My parents' home, an imposing testament to the wealth and influence of the Christensen family. I pass through the gate, waving at the guard who greets me with a grin. The car glides over the smooth granite driveway, and I pull over in front of the grand entrance. Stepping out of the car, I take a moment to absorb the sight of the mansion in all its glory.

The mansion stands proudly amidst lush, manicured gardens, a grand testament to opulence and luxury. Massive columns flank the entrance, their Corinthian capitals supporting a regal balcony that overlooks the front grounds. The windows, large and adorned with intricately designed shutters, reflect the sunlight in a dazzling display. Vines of ivy climb the walls, adding a touch of nature's elegance to the architectural masterpiece.

I reach for the doorbell, my finger hesitating before pressing it. The sound resonates through the mansion, announcing my arrival. The door swings open, revealing a familiar face—James, one of the long-serving house staff.

"Master Adam, welcome home," the butler, James, greets me with a polite nod.

"Thanks, James," I reply, my voice steady despite the underlying tension. I proceed further into the mansion, glancing around at the familiar surroundings that hold memories of a life I left behind.

"Your mother is waiting for you in the study, Master Adam," James informs me, leading the way. I follow him through the vast halls, my footsteps echoing in the silence that pervades the mansion.

As I enter the study, my mother looks up from her desk, a practiced smile on her face. "Adam, dear, it's been too long," she says, rising to greet me with a formal hug. I reciprocate, the tension in the air palpable.

"Hello, Mother. How have you been?" I inquire, my tone polite but guarded. I take a seat, and she follows suit, her gaze scrutinizing me.

"I've been well, Adam. I've missed having you around," she says and I suppress a sigh.

"You said you wanted to talk about something," I say, the gnawing anxiety growing stronger with each passing moment. My mother, ever the master of delay, clicks her tongue disapprovingly.

"Straight to business, just like your father. Well, can't I take a moment to enjoy having my son home?" she says with a feigned sweetness that only adds to my frustration.

I try my best not to roll my eyes. "You did say it was important," I retort, my patience wearing thin.

"I know. But it can wait one more day. I'll tell you all about it tomorrow," she declares, dismissing me with a wave of her hand.

Before I can protest, she presses a button on her desk, summoning James. He appears promptly, awaiting her command.

"Yes, madam?" he says with a respectful nod.

"James, dear, please serve dinner," she instructs him casually.

"Yes, madam," James replies with a nod before leaving to attend to his duties.

I stand up, the tension in the room palpable. "Will you tell me what it's about?" I ask, trying to hide the frustration in my voice.

My mother walks towards me, seamlessly linking her arm to mine. We begin walking towards the dining room, "Adam, don't you worry. You know mommy always has the best intentions," she says, her tone overly sweet.

I scoff, unable to contain my disbelief. "I know a couple of girls who would disagree," I mutter under my breath, unable to suppress the bitterness.

She rolls her eyes, seemingly unfazed by my bitterness. "Are you still on that, honey? If it makes you feel better, you were never supposed to find out," she says dismissively, as if me finding out was a mere inconvenience.

"No, actually, it doesn't, Mom. Why would it?" I ask incredulously, the frustration bubbling to the surface.

"One day you'll realize that everything I have done was for your own benefit. You'll see. I'm a patient woman," she declares as we reach the dining room, her tone tinged with a hint of condescension.

My mother gracefully takes a seat at the table, motioning for me to join her. I oblige, my frustration simmering beneath the surface. Whatever this conversation is about, it can't be good. As I settle into my chair, my father enters the dining room with a warm greeting. "Son, I missed you," he says, approaching me. I stand up, and he pulls me into a heartwarming hug that momentarily eases the building tension. He takes his place at the head of the table, nodding at the staff to begin serving dinner.

The house staff, clad in impeccable uniforms, move silently and efficiently. They serve each course with practiced precision, their movements synchronized. An air of formality hangs in the room as we eat in near silence, the only sounds being the clinking of cutlery and the occasional clearing of a throat.

After dessert, my mother rises from her seat, coming close to cup my cheeks with feigned affection. "I will retire. See you tomorrow, honey," she says, her words dripping with a layer of sweetness that does little to mask the underlying tension. Once the door closes behind her, I release the breath I didn't realize I was holding.

My father turns to me, concern etched on his face. "Did she say anything?" he inquires, his voice low.

I shake my head, frustration still lingering. "No. She said we'll talk about it tomorrow," I reply, uncertainty clouding my expression.

My father sighs, his brow furrowing as he stands up. He motions for me to follow him, and we make our way to the living room. We take our seats on plush couches, facing each other.