Chapter 125

Mallory

The past days have been unbelievably good. Since Adam's parents got divorced, everything changed for the better. I was so happy to hear that my father's clients are returning to him; his business took a major hit after they left him because of Adam's mother. Slow and steady, everything is going back to normal. I really feel bad for Adam and his father that it should come to this to be freed from Adam's mother, but I am also very happy and relieved that our lives feel normal again. No threats, no impending doom, no fear. Just us, living our life.

I twirl my food on my plate as I think about my conversation with my dad last night. He was so relieved about his business and happy for me as I told him about my internship. Suddenly, someone sits at my table, startling me.

"Sup, blondie?" I turn and see Chloe sitting across from me, and I smile at her. Chloe is a nurse working at the hospital. She is three years older than me, petite, with brown hair and mesmerizing green eyes. We have become close since I started working here. I really needed a friend here.

"Hey, Chloe," I say, smiling at her.

"Tom is sad," she says, tugging her lips downward mockingly. I chuckle, "Oh, really?" I ask.

Chloe nods, "Well, it seems that he took a huge ego hit when he found out that you really do have a boyfriend," she says.

I scoff, "Ugh, men. Why can't they just take no for an answer? Why does it matter that I have a boyfriend? I wouldn't date Tom even if I didn't," I say, frustrated. Chloe shakes her head, "I know, right?" she says.

I heave a sigh, "Anyway," I say.

"Anyway," Chloe echoes, "I heard something else too," she says, wiggling her eyebrows. I furrow mine, "What?" I ask. A wide grin spreads on her face, and she leans in, "Well, I heard that Dr. Bennet is very pleased with you. Keep it up, and he will offer you a part-time job next year, so you'll be able to attend classes too," she whispers.

My eyes widen, and my jaw goes slack, "Really?" I ask. Chloe nods, and I lean back in my chair. A part-time job under Dr. Bennet. This will definitely be an absolute dream. My internship with him is going great, and I love it so much. I don't know what to say or what to think. I haven't given much thought to next year. First, I need to know what Adam thinks about all this. Does he want to go back? Does he want to stay here? Do I want to go back? I guess I should expect an email from my university informing me that I can continue my studies, but then I won't be able to work here if Dr. Bennet suggests it. Everything is so complicated.

"What's the matter, blondie? I thought you'd be happy," Chloe says.

I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts. "No, no, I am happy. It's just... a lot to process, you know? I didn't expect all this to happen," I say, feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety.

Chloe leans back in her chair, understanding in her eyes. "Yeah, change can be overwhelming, but it sounds like good news to me. Dr. Bennet offering you a part-time job is incredible! You've worked hard for it," she says, giving me an encouraging smile.

"Thanks, Chloe. It's just that there are so many things to consider. Adam and I haven't really talked about what we want for the future," I admit, feeling a bit vulnerable.

Chloe leans back in her chair, understanding etched on her face. "Ah, the complexities of life. I get it. But hey, it sounds like a fantastic opportunity. I'm sure Adam wants the best for you. Just talk to him," she advises.

"Yeah, you're right. I need to talk to him," I say, nodding.

Chloe and I chat for a little longer, exchanging stories about work and the latest gossip around the hospital. As our conversation winds down, we both get up, ready to return to our respective duties.

The hours pass quickly as I attend to patients, double-checking charts, and assisting Dr. Bennet with various tasks. Before I know it, I'm going through the hospital doors, the day's responsibilities behind me as I head home.

The city streets are bustling with activity as I navigate my way through the crowd. The air is filled with the scent of street food and the distant sounds of car horns. I pull my jacket tighter around me, the evening breeze carrying a hint of chill.

As I stroll along the familiar route, my thoughts drift toward the future. Next year holds uncertainties for me—whether I'll continue my studies, whether Dr. Bennet will offer me a part-time job. But one thing remains clear: I want to be with Adam. I want our future to be intertwined, no matter where it leads us.

Entering the apartment, I head straight for the bedroom. I undress and step into the ensuite bathroom, letting the warm water wash away the remnants of the day. After the shower, I dry myself and return to the bedroom to slip into something comfortable. My after-work routine usually helps distract me from the uncertainties, but as I settle into the living room, everything comes rushing back.

I can't plan my life around the possibility of Dr. Bennet offering me a job. And there's the matter of returning to university next year. What if Adam decides his life is here now, and I have to go back? What if Adam wants to return home, and Dr. Bennet offers me the job? Ugh, this is causing me a headache.

I stand up, deciding to distract myself, and quickly enter the bedroom. Grabbing the book on my nightstand, I return to the living room and sink into the couch. The words on the pages offer a temporary escape, and I lose myself in the story, trying to push away the looming questions about our future.

The rhythmic sound of the front door opening pulls me back to reality. I look up to see Adam walking in, and I offer him a smile.

"Hey, how was your day?"

"It was okay. Can we talk about something?" he asks, and I notice a hint of nervousness in his demeanor.

"Of course, what's on your mind?" I reply, my heart rate picking up a little.