Chapter 88

Adam

The next morning, I enter the café and spot Marcus waiting for me. We exchange a quick bro hug, and I take a seat across from him. "What's up, man?" he asks, a casual greeting that feels out of place for the serious conversation ahead. I sigh and run a hand over my face, steeling myself for the difficult discussion. "Marcus, there's no right way to say this, so I'll get to the chase; Melanie saw you with some other girl," I say, watching Marcus's eyes widen in shock.

"What?" he stammers, genuine surprise and confusion etched on his face. "Adam, I would never do something like that. I care about Melanie a lot," Marcus protests, his eyes pleading for understanding.

I lean forward, my elbows resting on the table, and my gaze intent on Marcus. "Some of her friends saw you with other girls too. She didn't believe it until she saw you herself. She's convinced you're two-timing her, and I need to understand what really happened," I explain, my voice firm but empathetic.

"Adam, I would never do something like that. I care about Melanie a lot," Marcus says earnestly, his eyes wide and sincere.

"I need to know your side of the story. What happened on the day Melanie saw you with this girl?" I press, trying to unravel the mystery.

Marcus rubs his forehead, clearly frustrated by the situation. "I'm telling you, I don't know what she saw. I was really hoping things would work out between us, man. She's incredible," he insists.

"So, what the hell happened then?" I demand more answers.

Marcus rubs his face with his hands, his frustration escalating. "I have no idea. Is that why she disappeared? Why wouldn't she just talk to me?" he wonders aloud, confusion etched on his face.

"I don't know, man. Mallory told me yesterday that she had a very toxic man in her past. I guess she felt like you were like him?" I share the information, hoping to shed light on Melanie's perspective.

Marcus runs his fingers through his hair, frustration evident on his face. "I really like Melanie, Adam. I do. I don't understand..." he starts, his eyes widening once again.

"Did she say what she saw me doing with that other girl?" Marcus asks, desperation creeping into his voice. I shake my head. "Just that you were walking with your arm around her shoulder," I reply, a hint of sympathy in my tone.

Marcus facepalms hard, a loud curse escaping his lips. "Fuck. She must have seen me with one of my sisters!" he exclaims, leaning back and shaking his head. As soon as the words leave his mouth, a realization hits me like a ton of bricks. Marcus has three sisters. Three sisters whom he cares for deeply, protective and nurturing. How did I not think of this yesterday?

"There's more," I say, drawing Marcus's attention back to me. He turns to look at me, a mix of anticipation and concern on his face.

"Remember that toxic guy I was telling you about? He's back, and Melanie is seeing him," I reveal, watching Marcus's reaction carefully.

His eyes widen in disbelief, and a tense silence hangs in the air. "What? He is back? Why would she get involved with him again?" Marcus asks, his voice a mix of concern and frustration.

I rub my temples, feeling the weight of the situation pressing on me. "I don't know all the details, but it seems like he reached out to her, and she's given him another chance. Mallory told me about it yesterday," I explain, my voice tinged with exasperation.

Marcus leans back in his chair, a deep sigh escaping him. "This complicates everything." He says, running a hand over his face. "I need to make things right with Melanie. I can't lose her over a misunderstanding."

"You will, but we have to be smart about this. I was thinking about maybe having everyone over at my place, so you and Melanie can talk," I suggest. Marcus nods thoughtfully, considering the idea. "I could bring my sister with me, if we can figure out which one she saw me with," he proposes.

"That should do the trick," I say, feeling a weight lifted off my chest. I knew Marcus wouldn't do anything to jeopardize his relationship with Melanie. We continue discussing the plan and spend a couple more hours at the cafe. I fill Marcus in on the situation with my mother, and he's pleased to hear how well Mallory has been handling things. We say our goodbyes, and I make my way back to my apartment.

Entering the apartment, a wonderful smell wafts through the air. The scent of freshly baked brownies fills my nostrils, instantly lifting my spirits. I follow the enticing aroma to the kitchen, where Mallory is loading the dishwasher and tidying up.

"Hey, baby," I greet her, a smile forming on my face.

Mallory turns to me, and her eyes light up. She kisses me sweetly and says, "Hi," holding my gaze.

I spot a tray of brownies on the kitchen counter and notice another batch baking in the oven. Unable to resist, I reach for a brownie and take a bite. The taste is heavenly—rich, moist, and perfectly sweet.

"So? What did Marcus say?" Mallory asks, her curiosity evident.

I manage to swallow the delicious bite before responding. "My God, Mallory, these are delicious," I exclaim, my taste buds still reveling in the chocolatey goodness. Mallory raises an eyebrow, her impatience growing. "Yeah, sorry, babe. Melanie must have seen Marcus with one of his sisters. He has three, you know," I explain, taking another bite of the brownie.

Mallory's eyebrows shoot up, and she reacts with surprise, "Seriously? All of this because she saw him with his sister?" The disbelief in her voice is palpable.

I nod, savoring the last bits of the brownie. "Yep, that's the gist of it. It was a big misunderstanding, but Marcus is willing to set things right. I suggested having them over again and he'll bring his sister along next time, so Melanie can see for herself," I explain.

"Well, I'm glad it's sorted out. The sooner we have them over, the better. Now, do you want to help me with the next batch of brownies, or are you just here for the sweets?" she teases.

I grin, wiping imaginary crumbs off my face. "I'm definitely here for the sweets, but I can offer moral support while you work your baking magic," I reply, playfully wrapping my arms around her.