Chapter 129

Mallory

The soft glow of the study's lamplight bathes the room in a warm embrace, casting a cozy ambiance over the space. Adam is immersed in paperwork, diligently going through the documents spread across the desk. I, on the other hand, am nestled in a plush armchair, engrossed in a book that Dr. Bennett recommended. Despite the fascinating world within the book's pages, my eyes keep drifting towards Adam.

Two months have passed since the tumultuous events surrounding Adam's parents' divorce, and our lives have settled into a tranquil rhythm. The storm has passed, leaving behind a welcome calm. It's a stark contrast to the chaos that had defined our existence not too long ago.

Two months—a period that has seen the restoration of normalcy to our lives. I received an email from the university I had been attending, informing me that I can continue my studies next year. However, I opted to stay in this town - I got accepted into the local university, and I've chosen to stay here with Adam.

It's almost amusing to think about the whirlwind of events that unfolded just three months ago. My life had been turned upside down, and now, everything is better than ever. The scars from the past are healing, making room for a future that holds promise and serenity.

I steal another glance at Adam, unable to contain the smile that tugs at my lips. He catches my gaze, and our eyes lock. "I'm almost done," he says, smiling warmly at me.

"Take your time," I assure him, trying to immerse myself back into the pages of the book.

My eyes, however, drift to the bookshelves, settling on a familiar title—Pride and Prejudice. It's amazing to think that the solution to Adam's problems was within arm's reach all this time. If only he had decided to revisit the book, he would have uncovered the hidden truth himself. But dwelling on what could have been serves no purpose now. What matters is that the letters were found, the truth revealed, and closure achieved.

Adam looks up again, meeting my gaze. "All done," he declares with a triumphant smile.

I mark my place in the book and set it down, standing up to join him. "Great. Anything interesting?"

Adam chuckles. "Not really, just some boring paperwork. But it's done."

I approach Adam, and he pulls me onto his lap. My arms instinctively snake around his neck as I settle in. "Call me crazy, but everything your mother put us through has made me appreciate the hell out of these quiet moments," I confess.

Adam nods, exhaling deeply. "Yeah, me too."

We sit in silence for a moment, relishing the peace that envelopes us. I press a tender kiss to Adam's temple. Adam tilts his head and looks at me, his gaze deep and full of emotion. "What should we do tonight?" he asks.

I shrug, suggesting, "We could stay in, watch a movie, or go out to dinner."

Adam considers the options. "Let's go out to dinner," he decides.

"Great," I say, smiling. I lean in, kissing his lips gently. Standing up, I tug him by the hand, leading him towards our bedroom to get ready for the evening ahead.

"So, what are you going to wear tonight?" he asks, his voice carrying a hint of curiosity.

I shrug, feeling a slight pang of indecision. "I don't know yet," I reply honestly, glancing around our bedroom for inspiration.

Adam glances at me with a playful twinkle in his eyes. "How about that dress you wore the night we met?" he suggests.

I chuckle at the suggestion, picturing the elegant dress in my mind. "I'd be a tad overdressed; don't you think? Not to mention that it's a summer dress."

He shrugs nonchalantly. "So what?" he says with a mischievous grin.

I shake my head, laughter bubbling up. "You're insistent, aren't you?"

"Absolutely," he replies, still grinning.

I decide to indulge him a little. "Well, fun fact, I wasn't even going to wear that dress that night."

His eyes widen, jaw dropping in disbelief. "You're joking, right? Why wouldn't you wear that dress?"

I sigh, reminiscing about that peculiar night. "Well, this dress belonged to Melanie. She literally undressed me to wear my clothes. So, I borrowed that dress from her."

Adam chuckles, shaking his head. "Sisters," he mutters with a knowing smile. "But you know what? I'm grateful for that, because that dress was truly amazing on you."

A warmth spreads through me at his compliment. "Well, I'm glad you think so," I tease.

He looks at me with a sincerity that takes my breath away. "Mallory, I knew you were the one for me from the moment I saw you."

I raise an eyebrow, feigning disbelief. "You didn't even know me."

Adam's expression turns serious. "I knew," he insists. "And I was right."

His words linger in the air, and my heart skips a beat. I find myself approaching him, drawn to the depth of emotion in his eyes. Rising on my tiptoes, I press my lips to his, savoring the sweetness of the moment.

"I'm so glad you knew," I murmur against his lips. Adam tucks a strand of hair behind my ear and gazes deep into my eyes.

In that intimate moment, as the world fades away, my phone starts buzzing, and we both groan in unison. "Moment ruined," I mutter, turning to get my phone and see who's calling. It's Melanie.

"Speak of the devil," I say, grinning, as I tap the answer button. "Hey, sis. We were just talking about you."

"All good things, I hope," Melanie replies playfully.

"Always," I chuckle. "How are you?"

Melanie pauses, and I can sense a hint of excitement in her voice. "I'm good. Actually, I have some news. Haven't told anyone yet."

"What is it?" I ask impatiently.

Melanie pauses for a moment and then the words she utters make my heart sink, my stomach tightening in a knot.

"I'm pregnant."