Chapter 90

Adam

The week leading up to the banquet has been a whirlwind of drama, thanks to Melanie and Marcus. While dealing with their issues, I haven't had much time to dwell on the impending event. It's been a welcome distraction for me, a way to shift my focus from one set of problems to another. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Mallory. Already burdened with the situation with my mother, finding out about Melanie and Daniel pushed her over the edge. Nightmares plague her sleep, and the sound of her waking up screaming tears at my heart. I've never seen her so rattled, and it worries me to the core.

Reluctantly, I start undressing, preparing for the banquet. As I button up the shirt, I can't shake off the worry about my mother making a scene. Dad assures me she won't, but I've witnessed her unpredictable behavior enough times to remain skeptical. Her disapproval of Mallory is clear, and attending the banquet with her will likely be seen as an act of defiance.

Adjusting the tie, I glance at myself in the mirror. The reflection stares back, and for a moment, I contemplate the potential repercussions of my choices. My father believes that bringing Mallory to the event will send a clear message to the Vanguards, signaling that I have no intention of marrying their daughter. I hope he's right.

The Vanguards, a family with whom my mother is eager to align me, will be at the banquet. They're influential in the business world, and my mother has grand plans for a strategic partnership. However, my vision for my life doesn't align with theirs, and attending the event with Mallory is a subtle act of rebellion against their expectations.

As I fasten the cufflinks, my mind races through scenarios of my mother's reaction. Will she unleash her wrath in public, or will she reserve her displeasure for a private confrontation? Either way, I know there will be consequences.

I take a deep breath, trying to quell the unease. Tonight is not just about me; it's about Mallory, who has faced enough challenges and doesn't need my mother's judgment. I want to shield her from any unnecessary conflict. It all seems so unnecessary; I wish my mother would start behaving logically.

Once fully dressed, I take a final glance in the mirror, hoping to find a sense of confidence. The tuxedo fits perfectly, a tailored armor for the evening ahead. Mallory enters the bedroom wearing the silk champagne dress I bought her. The fabric drapes over her figure elegantly, catching the light in a way that emphasizes its luxurious texture.

Her hair is styled in an intricate updo, showcasing the graceful curve of her neck. The dress reveals her shoulders, and the sight of her bare skin sends a shiver down my spine. My chest fills with pride that I will walk in with Mallory on my arm, a vision of grace and beauty. Her makeup is flawless, a touch of class that accentuates her features. The red lipstick she chose adds a bold contrast to her fair complexion, making her lips somehow seem fuller. As my eyes trace the lines of her face, I can't help but marvel at her beauty.

"You are so damn beautiful," I murmur, my hands involuntarily going over my heart as if trying to contain the swell of emotion within. I approach Mallory, unable to resist the gravitational pull she has on me. She smiles at me, and I'm a goner; I am head over heels for that girl.

"You look handsome as well," she compliments, her eyes shining with affection. I wrap my arms around her waist, savoring the warmth and closeness. I press a soft kiss on her lips.

"Hmm, maybe we should just skip it and spend the night on the bed?" I suggest with a playful grin.

Mallory chuckles, her laughter like music to my ears. "I wish we could do that, but we promised your dad, remember?" she teases, a twinkle in her eyes. I sigh in mock disappointment.

"Yeah, you are right. Are you ready?" I ask, taking her hand gently in mine.

Mallory nods, a mixture of excitement and nerves evident in her expression. "Let's go," I say, leading her out of the bedroom and out of the apartment.

Mallory and I arrive at the banquet. The grand reception hall is adorned with elegant decorations, and the ambient hum of conversations fills the air. We each take a welcome drink, and the eyes of the attendees are drawn to Mallory. She looks stunning, and I can feel the collective gaze upon her.

Taking a sip, I scan the room, searching for my father. Spotting him in a corner, I take Mallory's hand, and we make our way toward him. He greets me with a handshake and Mallory with a warm welcome, expressing his happiness that we are both in attendance.

"Everything is so beautiful," Mallory remarks with a genuine smile.

"Thank you, sweetheart. It's just a small gesture to thank my employees for all their hard work," my dad says, a proud smile on his face. His eyes shift to a different direction, and he adds, "Excuse me," before leaving us momentarily.

I wrap my arm around Mallory's waist, pulling her closer, and plant a soft kiss on the top of her head. She looks up at me with adoration, and her smile warms my heart. The blissful moment is interrupted by a throat clearing behind us.

We both turn to find my mother standing there. "Mother," I greet her.

"Adam," she acknowledges me and then turns her gaze to Mallory. "Mallory," she says slowly and menacingly.

"I must say, I expected you to show more discretion," my mother remarks, her disapproval evident. "Bringing a guest like her to an event like this—quite bold, Adam."

"Mom, Mallory is an integral part of my life. I won't hide that," I assert, my gaze unwavering.

"Well, let's not overshadow the event with personal matters. Enjoy the evening," my mother says dismissively before leaving. I watch her retreating figure, a mix of frustration and determination settling in my chest.

At least my mother won't make a scene. Or at least, it seems that way. A steady stream of people approaches us, greeting me warmly, and I take the opportunity to introduce Mallory to them. She handles the interactions with grace, smiling and exchanging pleasantries effortlessly.

After a while, the Vanguards approach us. "Adam, so good to see you," Lawrence Vanguard says, extending a hand. I shake his hand, offering a polite smile. "Good to see you too, Mr. Vanguard. Mrs. Vanguard," I nod in acknowledgment.

"Adam, you and your date look lovely tonight," Mrs. Vanguard comments, her expression unreadable. She must be a master of maintaining a poker face because I can't discern her thoughts on Mallory being with me.

"I should introduce you; this is Mallory Hartley," I say, turning to Mallory with a wide grin. She glances at me momentarily before extending her hand. "Mallory, meet Lawrence and Josephine Vanguard."

"Nice to meet you," Mallory says, her smile genuine.

"Likewise," Mrs. Vanguard replies, her smile taking on a mysterious quality. I can't help but feel a twinge of confusion. What's going on here?

"We should get to our table," Mr. Vanguard suggests, and they nod before leaving us. Mallory and I exchange puzzled glances.

"That was strange," Mallory mutters.

"It was, wasn't it?" I agree, equally baffled.