Chapter 37

Mallory

The evening sunlight spills into Adam's bedroom, casting a warm glow on the carefully chosen outfit I've laid out for tonight's gathering. A sleek, sleeveless ivory dress with a modest V-neck graces my frame, its fabric flowing gracefully with each step. The dress cinches at the waist, accentuating my curves, and descends to a modest knee length. I opt for nude heels to elongate my legs, a subtle choice to complement the simplicity of the dress.

My blonde waves tumble down my shoulders in loose, effortless curls, framing my face delicately. I've kept my makeup light, emphasizing my eyes with a subtle shimmer and enhancing my lips with a soft, rosy hue.

As I'm finishing the last touches, Adam enters the room, a vision of masculine charm. He wears well-fitted dark jeans paired with a crisp, white button-down shirt. The sleeves are casually rolled up, showcasing his strong forearms. The shirt, while casually untucked, is impeccably pressed, giving him that effortlessly polished look. His disheveled dark hair adds an enticing touch, and the subtle scent of his cologne hangs in the air, intoxicating and familiar.

I can't help but appreciate the handsome vision before me, and Adam sighs, catching my gaze. "If you keep looking at me like that, you won't be in any condition to entertain company," he teases, a smirk playing on his lips.

A mischievous grin spreads across my face. "Well, maybe I'd rather entertain you," I quip, and he laughs, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

"You look absolutely beautiful," he murmurs, his warm breath tickling my ear. I turn in his embrace, our eyes locking.

"You're not so bad yourself," I reply, giving him a playful once-over. He chuckles, the sound vibrating through his chest. "Yeah, I got that," he says with a cocky grin, and I playfully slap his chest.

The doorbell rings, interrupting our banter, and we both head to the living room. As Adam opens the door, Sean and Kylie stand on the other side, dressed for a night out.

Sean is wearing a stylish blue button-down shirt paired with grey slacks, his dark hair is styled neatly, and he flashes a charming smile as he enters. Kylie, on the other hand, has opted for a chic black dress that hugs her figure, and she accessorizes with bold statement earrings. Her makeup is on point, emphasizing her features, and her brown curls fall gracefully around her shoulders.

"Hey, you two! Looking good!" Sean greets us with a wide grin.

Adam returns the compliment, "Likewise! Come on in."

Kylie hands me a plate, and the tantalizing aroma immediately captures my senses. "I made my specialty – cheesecake. Get ready to have your taste buds dancing!" she exclaims.

"Kylie, you're a goddess," I exclaim, giving her a playful nudge.

She laughs, "Well, I do try. Now, let's get this masterpiece in the fridge before the guys devour it before dinner."

As Sean and Adam settle into the living room, Kylie and I make our way to the kitchen, cheesecake in hand.

Once we're in the kitchen, I lower my voice, leaning in toward Kylie. "I need to tell you something," I begin, a sense of unease settling in.

Kylie furrows her brows, concern etching her features. "What's going on?"

I take a deep breath, "My dad told me that Matt has been watching the house."

"What?!" Kylie's exclamation is almost a shout.

I quickly shush her, glancing back towards the living room to make sure no one overheard. "Keep it down. I haven't told Adam, and I don't want him to worry."

"Why wouldn't you tell him? This is serious, Mal," Kylie insists, her expression a mix of worry and frustration.

"I don't want him to feel like he needs to rescue me or be burdened with this," I explain, trying to downplay the severity of the situation.

Kylie shakes her head in disagreement. "This is not about him feeling like he needs to rescue you. Matt is crossing lines, and Adam deserves to know so he can help."

"I can handle this on my own. Matt will give up eventually," I argue, though uncertainty lingers in my eyes.

Kylie places a hand on my shoulder, her gaze firm. "This is not about proving you can handle it alone. Matt needs to be dealt with properly, and Adam deserves to be in the loop."

I sigh, torn between wanting to protect Adam from unnecessary worry and realizing that Kylie might be right. The doorbell chimes again, and Adam's voice echoes from the living room, "I got it!" I exhale, my gaze meeting Kylie's

"Promise me you won't say anything," I request, my eyes pleading with Kylie.

She hesitates, the concern evident in her eyes, but eventually nods in agreement. We both return to the living room just in time to see Marcus stepping through the door.

"Mal, meet Marcus. Marcus, this is Mallory, the one I've been telling you about," Adam says, his eyes affectionate as he looks at me.

Marcus extends his hand, and we exchange greetings. "Nice to finally meet you, Mallory. Adam's been keeping us in the dark about his mysterious girl for too long," Marcus teases, earning a playful eye roll from Adam.

Kylie and Sean follow suit, exchanging pleasantries with Marcus. Just as we're getting comfortable, the doorbell rings again. I head to the door, curious to see who could be the next addition to our gathering. To my delight, it's my sister Melanie. A warm smile spreads across my face as I pull her into a tight hug.

"Hey, sis! I've missed you," Melanie exclaims, returning the embrace.

I step back and introduce her to Adam. "Adam, this is my sister, Melanie. Melanie, meet Adam."

"Finally, I meet the mysterious Adam," Melanie says with a playful smirk.

Adam grins in response. "The pleasure is mine. Mallory has told me a lot about you."

Melanie raises an eyebrow, shooting me a knowing look. "Oh, has she now? Well, I hope it's all good things."

I nudge Melanie on her arm, and she chuckles. "I assure you, only the best things."

Melanie turns her attention back to Adam. "I wish it could be under better circumstances, but it's lovely to finally meet you."

I nudge her discreetly, and change the subject, "Everyone's almost here. Just waiting on Logan and Emma."

Adam takes the opportunity to play the gracious host. "Would anyone like something to drink? I've got a variety of options – soft drinks, wine, beer."

Kylie, always enthusiastic about gatherings, raises her hand. "Wine for me, please!"

Sean nods in agreement, "Same here."

Melanie leans in and whispers to me, "I'll take a glass of wine as well."

He looks at me, a silent invitation to assist him in the kitchen. I nod, and we make our way to the kitchen together. Once there, the air is filled with a comfortable silence as Adam starts gathering glasses and pouring wine.