[ 173 ]

Was it wrong of me to want this pregnancy to be done already? No, I wasn't reconsidering having the child. But the longer this little one remained inside of me, the more I was questioning the person I was becoming.

I wasn't sure if it was the hormones or the mess caused by Zaine at the World Cup qualifiers recently. But lately, it had felt like every little thing had been setting me off.

Even Josh had copped it from me before heading off to Perth for a game.

I felt guilty. He had only asked if I was okay. Yet, I snapped at him. I didn't mean to, obviously. But I just lost it and hated myself for it right after. Seeing his face afterwards hurt me so much. He only deserved to have a smile on his face, nothing less.

Unfortunately, I was stuck ruminating on my foolishness. Josh had to set off to Perth, along with Nick, for a game. I had to wait a bit before getting the chance to apologise to him. I messed up, I know that. But I didn't mean to.

I just wanted Josh to know that.

"The little one is almost here. You must be excited?" Chris remarked. I let out a sigh, unsure as to how I was to respond.

"Yeah." I mutter and look out of the window.

He pulled his Prada sunglasses off and stared at me. Although he could mean well, I still couldn't get past his intense stare that I had first received from him when the club warned me against speaking out about Nate's poisoning.

Zac reminds me about that every chance he gets.

"So. Where's Josh?" Chris asked curiously, stirring sugar in his cup of coffee.

"He's over in Perth. They've got a game up there, so I doubt I'll be seeing him for a while." I explain and look down at the ring my ex gave before he left town.

"Lucky him. Must be nice having a new season start up already. We're all still waiting for a start date from our league." Chris muttered and let out a yawn.

"There's been no announcement for when you guys start playing again?" I question him, half-interested. In all honesty, I was far more interested in the ring Nate had given me, which was in my hand.

"Nope. I hope they tell us soon, I'm missing being out on that court." He admitted.

"That's no good." I mumbled.

I know. There was no need to bring out the ring. But after the argument with Josh the other night, something kept drawing me back to it.

"Hang on. You're about to give birth any day now, yet Josh is playing football in another state?" He questioned suddenly.

"He tried to get out of playing. But because of the restrictions and whatnot, Collingwood weren't able to let him or even his brother Nick come back home. It's fine, though. I get that professionals need to make sacrifices. You'll even have to make a few when it's Maggie's turn to give birth." I point out.

"I doubt my club would be the same as Collingwood. But if they are, I don't know. I'll have to fight Beau, maybe. If there's anyone I can take on, it's probably him." Chris pointed out as he chuckled.

"Can I ask you something, Chris? Please be honest with me, too." I suddenly say, looking up to him.

"What about? Josh?" He questioned in confusion.

"Look, I need to know, Chris. What was said on the court in Ballarat that made Nate so upset?" I ask him, noticing the basketballer go quiet.

He immediately folded his arms together, looking at me with sympathy. He then let out a sigh.