[ 154 ]

So this was it.

The news that Nate wouldn't be around next season was now public.

Perhaps that cliché of sport's worst kept secret would fit well in this situation. Every year, when someone high-profile is traded or becomes a coach, that saying is always used. But obviously, who's surprised? Nate was always destined for the big league.

A tweet from Sophia Turner, off all people, had gained traction after the news broke. I had been avoiding responding to messages from the others. I didn't feel that there was a need to say anything on it right now.

"What the hell?" I exclaim in horror after realising that my chair was being pulled backwards.

"Is it true?" Zaine asked suddenly and pushed my chair forward.

"What the hell, Zaine? Leave the chair alone." I add in a panic. How did he even find me here? I hadn't told anyone where I'd be this morning.

"Is it true, or was that Daicos guy full of lies?" Ed Richards demanded and pushed my chair once more. God, I hated this so much.

"I'll answer you if you both stop acting like children. Oh god. My breakfast might come up any second." I add, trying to hold back the coffee and scrambled eggs I had this morning.

The boys had suddenly stopped pushing around the swivel chair I was seated on. It wasn't long before both of them looked at me with concern on their faces.

"Why the hell are you two pushing me around on a chair? I'm trying to write up my article in peace." I add in annoyance.

"Daikini told us that you're moving to America with the old man. If he's lying, I won't be very happy, Scarlett." Zaine remarked.

"How did you even find me here?" I ask in confusion.

"Easy. We were walking through Footscray and saw you sitting here. Though I thought you'd be somewhere in the Eastern Suburbs with those basketball losers. Yet you're in this dump." Zaine ignorantly added. I rolled my eyes.

"I was doing some interviews at VU for a story and wanted to get a head start on transcribing." I lied. Well, it was half a lie. I did spend time at the university nearby doing interviews. But I was hanging around the library for some time on my own.

I wasn't ready to face the others and tell them that I was leaving town with Nate. As I looked up, I noticed both the boys were staring at me quite intently.

"I'm calling bullshit on you leaving. You're at Channel 7 with Ash, and you're also with Code. I don't see that you'd want to give that up. It's not like you to drop your career for a man." Ed remarked.

"Yeah, Wilde. Even when you went to Hawaii after breaking up with Marcus that time, you did that internship thingy over there." Zaine reminded.

Why was he always bringing up random lore from my past relationships?

I let out a sigh and stared out the window.

"I can't believe that idiot would lie about that. You know, I never liked that guy. He has this thing where he thinks he's above everyone just because he plays for Collingwood." Ed rambled on.