chap 75; Eudaimonia/Thrilled

The room was tense and thick, everyone's breath was held and their hands were slightly trembling out of nervousness. Dr Aishatu sent a bright smile toward Afifah and she went ahead and raised up her shirt revealing her flat tummy. Afifah's breath hitched, scared of what Would be the outcome. She applied some jelly lubricant and then moisturized it all over her lower abdomen. Afifah fisted her hand on the bed as she shut her eyes tightly. Her body became rigid. "Calm down Afifah '' Dr Aishatu consoled, putting her over Afifah's fisted hand to soothe her.

Afifah opened her eyes slowly yet not wide open as she looked up at Dr Aisha's smiling face and Nabil's expressionless one. "I'm scared," she muttered in a hoarse, throaty voice. Full of nervousness, timidness and scared. "Breath out, okay" Dr Aisha assured. She seems to be holding her voice with her even knowing despite the fact that she was struggling with it. Relentlessly, she does as said, still taking it slowly like forever.

"Relax and calm down. Everything will be alright" she counseled but Afifah wasn't ready to accept that everything will be alright. No. She refused to believe it. Things are not alright and will never be if the test and scan turn out to be mere thought. The test was taken earlier, her blood and urine were sent to the laboratory and still there is no feedback from them. The test is taking more time than it should and their impatience got them on, they asked for the scan to be done.as soon before the report was brought.

Nabil, who was standing aside, stepped forward and sat beside her on the reclined bed. He took her hand in both of his hands. He nodded at her and asked her to relax and calm down also. "It's okay, just relax" he reassured.

"Yes it's okay" she stated more like asking. Her lips curled in a nervous smile and she relaxed a bit. Nabil signaled for Dr Aisha to go ahead. She began rolling. As all their eyes were on the blurry, black and white ultrasound machine. Opaque, nothing seems understandable from it, still and all, she didn't stop as she continued to roll the transducer slowly yet cautiously as the expert she is.

It took time as Afifah almost gave up, she decided to just lose hope that what she was yearning for will never be true. Still and all, all the six pairs of eyes were staring effortlessly with no blink at the ultrasound screen. When she was tired of looking at it, she turned left, letting the heavy hot tears finally gush down. Her sniffing was what drew nabil's attention from that screen making him look her way.

"Shh, all is okay. Don't mind this, we will make it one day insha Allah" he yakked, cleaning up her tears that kept gushing down nonstop. As he cleans up, new ones make their way out.

"Yes" , sudden cheers cut to their attention. "I got it, look" Dr Aishatu grinned from ear to ear making them gaze at her before taking their attention to what she was showing them. "You really are, you've made it. Look at it" she kept on ranting, grinding hard as her hand continued to go on and on harder with the effort to capture it perfectly, both Nabil and Afifah were dumbfounded as to why she was shrieking, they couldn't understand anything. They intently look at the screen which was like earlier unless this time there was a slightly black dot like a bean shape displayed.

"What is it?" Afifah shrieked, she hoped there was nothing to do with her misery. "I don't—" she was cut off before she was about to say, "you're pregnant!" Dr Aisha shouted, cheering her up with a wide grin masking her great features.

"I'm what, no—" Afifah couldn't believe what she heard, her ears must be damaged, making her brain interpret false information. Because how? Just how?. Dr Aishatu must be joking right?. She must be just kidding to see her reaction which she will fail effortlessly. Because that wasn't the kind of joke you expect her to be taken away with. She was paranoid that her brain cells were acting irregularly.