chap 63; Ephemeral

Flash back.
Afifah construction company

12;13pm

Merry and cheers voices filled the building, huge beautiful smiles adorned each and everyone of the employees. Even the cleaner and the gateman were all in a good mood. They all couldn't help but return home to share this exciting news  with their families. They couldn't stop ranting praises and prayers to their boss lady, with all the years they work with her, no one can badmouth her among them, even if someone from outside tries that, they can deal with the person without any hesitation.  Sighting everyone's happy face, she felt honored. She was able to put a smile on the face of her employees. She doesn't need someone to praise her or tell her that she did well, she was proud of herself since the first day she held her qualifications. But the happiness she felt today is no match with anything in the world.

Without the help of those employees, she wouldn't make it to where she is today. She was grateful to each one of them, from the high ranked and to the lowest. Even if your job is as small as just watering the flowers or  an errand mission, she was thankful to all of them. The company receives a good contract worth billions of naira, as a compensation to her workers she multiplied all their salaries and allowances, that made them the happiest.

##

"Mufeeda I have to go, I have an appointment by 12:30 at the hospital" she declared, packing up her things.

"Hospital Kuma, I am not aware of this. It's isn't among your schedule for today" Mufeeda asked in perplexity, she was in charge of her schedule, she have the dates for check up with her every time

"Yes it wasn't, I don't have any work this afternoon so I want to conduct some check up" she commented as she grabbed her Hermes bag. "Are you sick?" Mufeeda asked immediately, Afifah sighed. " I'm fine , I just feel like it," she answered.

Mufeeda sent a look that yelled she didn't believe her even for a bit. Who would even believe her, she hates going to hospital even though it's compulsory on her and now she just feels like going to the hospital. Wonders shall never end.

"See, did I look sick, no right. I'm perfectly fine" she said when she felt Mufeeda's strong gaze. "You know I'm not buying that, what is needed to attend to the hospital when you are perfectly fine" Mufeeda retorted.

Afifah sighed, she can never hide anything from Mufeeda. The girl can see right through her, sometimes Afifah thinks she is a witch, because she talks as if she can see what is in her intestine. "I promise to tell you if I come back, I'm getting late now" she said and moseyed out of the office leaving Mufeeda. She shook her head dramatically and stood up, gathering her things so she left the office.

Afifah drove herself to the hospital because she gave all her employees the rest of the day off for them to rest. Her heart was palpitating all the way, she was so scared of what the outcome would be. Earlier, her aunt called and informed her that she should come because her results were out. Dr Aisha's tone wasn't good at all and that is what scared her the most. She kept praying all the way hoping it wasn't what she was thinking.

She arrived at the hospital earlier than usual because of how she sped up. Entering Dr Aisha's office, with all the steps she took she prayed in her mind.  "You came, take a seat" Dr Aisha's voice jolted her out her strand. She didn't even say  or even greet me when she entered because her mind was not with her. With a trembling leg, she dragged herself to one of those empty seats In Front of the tables facing Dr Aisha. "Calm down Afifah" , Dr Aisha said.

Afifah looked up at her and nodded slightly, she asked immediately "please tell me what it is, don't hide it".

Dr Aisha sighed and then removed her spectacles, put both elbows on the desk. She examined her niece's demeanor, which is not good at all. What if she tells her what is wrong with her? "Afifah you need to take heart, you don't need to work out yourself. You have to trust Allah, he did whatever  he wanted, whatever he wished for you must happen to you. Believe that Allah is with you, and he will guide you through" she said firstly.

She went on when she didn't get a reply from Afifah, "As I said yesterday, what we speculated it is. Your ovaries are damaged because of your suffering from endometriosis, because of all the medication you took to relieve pain there were scars, It may or may not fade depending on your body" she dropped the bomb and Afifah froze in her spot.

"Don't worry, there is a cure for it. I will write a medication for you to take but it can take time before it can be healed." She tried to lessen the atmosphere.

"I will be barren if it doesn't heal right," she said in a crackly voice.

"What, no you won't be inshallah" Dr Aisha said instantly.

Tears started to brimmed in her eyes, nothing came to her mind except Nenah's taunt and torment. Now she can make her life a living hell or even separate her from her husband. And Nabil what would he feel, she knew all his life he love kids, the happiness he felt when he was with his niece could not be hide and she knew he so thought about having his own child. To hold in his arms, play with and tuck to sleep. Now, she could not give him that, he will go and marries another woman or even Karima to have one with. She will left all alone with no one to made her felt at ease.

Walking out of Dr Aisha's office, she burst into tears. She ran out of the hospital to her car. She cried for a good 10 min before driving away from there to home. All her way back home she was crying that her eyes were all blurred. It's a good thing that she didn't even get into an accident. All thanks to Allah.

She packed her car in the wrong place and walked into the house in a hurry. She stopped nowhere but her room to her bed and threw herself on it. She didn't care to change or At Least remove her shoe, she cried as much as she could until no tears were coming from her eyes.

End of flashback

She finished narrating all what happened without him interrupting, he listened all what she said and kept quiet, they all slipped into complete silence. She expected that action from him, he never showed his emotions or his thinking. But she knows one thing for sure that he will never accept her after knowing what is wrong with her. She braced herself to expect disappointment so she can never feel disappointed.

"What do you think of me Afifah" he asked and chuckled, for the first time he called her by her name or more like nickname. And she hates to admit that it has more effect on her, it stings in her stomach.

She glanced at him in dazed, " what did you think of me, you think I will let you go just because of this small matter" he asked, she was baffled hearing him call her a problem .

"Yes, small matter because it's not like you're completely barren, you can be cured of it in just a matter of time."

"But I might be completely barren," she admitted.

"And even if you are, you think I will abandon you or I will get married again" he questioned and she nodded sincerely, truth to be told, that is what she thinks of him.

He hummed, "I will never do that, this is me and you in this, no one else. You will be cured in Sha Allah, I can take you wherever, how far, anywhere that we can be cured. I promise you that" he promised.

She was very happy hearing him saying that, most of all she was surprised. It gladdened her heart so much that it made her cry again but this time around it was a sad tear but a happy one. "You will be with me?" she asked, trying to feed her curiosity.

He nodded, and wiped her tears away, "I will, you don't have to worry about this, inshallah in the meantime we will hold our babies in our hand" he assured her and she blushed, "babies?" She asked.

"Yes babies, or don't you want to have many children? " he asked her. "Like seven to ten" he added her mouth hung low, wide open. She was gaping at him as if he had grown two heads.

"I'm done with you, go find another woman to give birth to your ten kids" she uttered and he burst up laughing like a maniac.

"Don't tremble, I'm just joking. No woman will birth me kids except you so I Will be happy with whatever we have." He said, they were engulfed in each other's warm embrace. "What of twins?" he stroked her bag soothingly.

"Twins, who told you we will have twins?" she asked him, with a confused expression. " No one, I just felt like that, I love them" he said and she nodded. Actually, she didn't mind having twins or just a child. She will welcome any child at this moment, she didn't have a choice at the moment. All she prayed for was for her child to be perfectly healthy. She didn't want her child to be diagnosed with what she was suffering right now, asthma or even endometriosis. She wished for no child either.