chap 67; seethe

"I don't understand what is happening" Alhaji Suleiman's voice echoed in the dining room that was eerily quiet all the time. His voice was hoarse with a hint of tiredness and chideful, it was like a pick up line because Hajiya Zainab seems to be a taken off guide. She sighed and dropped the spoon in her hand before looking at him,"I also don't understand what is happening" she said, not ready to delve into the matter. She knew sooner or later he must talk about that and she tried to shun the matter away since yesterday but now he let it out.

"Zainab" he called out,his voice was stern, with a hint of warning lacing in it. She looked up to meet his eyes, he seemed to not be in a good mood. "You of all people knows how I so much cherish my children's happiness especially Afifah" he said looking deeply in her eyes.

"I know" she let it out, a bit scared of what he was meaning to say.

"No, you don't know" he said. "But let me remind you, Afifah is so dear to my heart and I hate to see her hurting. She is the only thing I see and feel solace in my heart, she is the only thing that always makes me remember my brother. She is the only one that make me want to continue striving to see I fill my brother's last wish. Seeing tears in her eyes pained me more than anything in this world" he furious said.

"You don't have to remind me that, and you don't have to say that to me of all people" her anger marched to his level, she was so angry of what he said, he should also remember who she is first.
"You don't have to tell me all this, just like how you loved her I also love her. She is more than a daughter to me, you know that. Did I ever show any difference between her and my children?" she furiously said that on his face. She was mad at him.

"I Know" he let out a sighed, leaning back on his chair.

"No you don't know also" she retorted back what he said earlier.

"Zainab I —" he started but she didn't let him finish what he was about to say. "I'm a mother, a wife, a woman also, I know how it feels, I Know how this is painful to every woman. But you have to know I was at a point that I was restless. I don't know what to do, at the other hand my mother and at the other hand my daughter" she said, her voice low, worried some and relentless. She face palmed her face, her both elbows on the table.
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have talk that way" he said, resenting how he reacted earlier.

"I don't know what to do, both Nabil and Afifah are my children. I loved both of them equally, I'm a mother at same time mother in law to all of them. I don't want to take part in this matter, I don't want to be selfish" she shook her head vigorously as her eyes were abit teary.  Things were so messy that she didn't want to get mingle in it. She didn't know which role would she play. If she were to act as a mother, both of them are her children, she didn't want to hurt any of them. And if she were to act as a mother-in-law, she was that to all of them also. Will she be Nabil's mother in-law to stand up gor her daughter or be Afifah's mother-in-law and stand up for her son, and in that process she will be hurting both her son and daughter-in-law. No any wife deserve that.

And if she decided to act as a woman, she will be force to take the female side and what about the male, he deserves happiness also. That is why she wanted to stay out of the matter.

Alhaji Suleiman gulped down the water in the glass cup, regretting his actions. This is a sensitive topic to all of them, he should have digest thing before saying it out. His mother rant of his ears earlier triggering his sore spot. She was so angry, as she harshly addressed him.

"You seems to be taking away with your work forgetting your responsibility right" she intensely look straight to his eyes, with her tone he can trace out she wasn't in a good mood.