chap 73; Novaturient

"What is all this?" Afifah asked the moment they settled in the car. Nabil looked at her in confusion then she added, "why did you do all this" she asked.

"You mean I should keep calm and let them continue accusing you of what you never do" he questioned back. She looked away, not knowing what to say. "Maryam, you are my wife. It's my duty to protect you,your dignity and reputation. It isn't right for me to let them continue insulting you. I'm well aware of all what that girl was doing, you never care to inform me. She made the mistake of forgetting who she is and dared to step her leg in my house and insult my wife. I can stand this disrespect" he said adamantly.

She swallowed a lump in her throat, moved close to him and leaned on him. She took his hand in hers and kissed on it before holding it tightly in hers. "Thank you so much for always standing for me" she showed her gratitude. "Thank you so much, without you in my life, I don't know how it could be '' she added.

Nabil gave her a kiss on her forehead before wrapping his over her back, "without you in my life, my life would be meaningless" he said, her lips slanted into the widest grin. They like that for a few minutes, their heart speaking to each other in the love language. "Let's leave this place" he said when he looked at the mansion In Front of them, and from where they were, they could hear the shouting from inside. Nabil ignited the fire and left it.

"Yes, we better leave" she agreed and they chuckled lightly. He zoomed out of the manse with their hands still intertwined with each other, affectionate smiles never leaving their lips.

"Did you ever think of me like that?" Afifah asked, which sounded like a pickup line.

"Are you out of your mind?" he jerked instantaneously. "I will never ever think of that, just __how?" he looked horrified as to why she would even think of that.

"I'm just curious, you know the word pained me much. I don't know why they hate me this much," she conceded, her voice was low and painful at the same time. "Don't worry yourself much about what they say, I know you more than you know yourself, I can predict what you will do even before doing it" even though he already finds it absurd for them to throw nasty and dirty remarks at her, he trusts her. He trusted her more than any one in the world. She wasn't the kind that can do anything for wealth, she was wealthy already even before she indulged in the business affairs. Worldly life's never fascinate her, yes, she got the wealth but she still lives a simple life like everyone and enjoys living a free and normal life.

"I'm the scale of 100, what is the level of trust you had for me" she inquired, her eyes on him to see his reaction. "You want to know?" He queried and she nodded affirmatively, answering with her throat.

"Well, it depends. In some aspects I can trust you hundred percent but in some aspects, it's better left unsaid" he replied and she felt it immediately. She is weakly aware that after that day it will be hard for him to be the same even though it is years now but he still remembers it.

"Is it about that incident?" She asked and he hummed in response, his eyes on the road as he used his one hand on the steering wheel to U-turn around the highway. "I'm your husband but you didn't trust me enough, you still hide things from me . You never tell.me.what is bothering you until I ask and when I do you try all possible ways to not tell me. You do know that I deserve to know everything about you, your needs, your wants, your likes and dislikes but you never open up." He articulated what was bothering him, he had been meaning to talk about this with her but he never got a chance.

"I'm scared," she admitted, muttering. slightly ashamed of herself. What he just said was true but she is not the only one to blame, No. He built her that way and he also did the same. "I know you but still I don't know you. All my life I look up to the only elder brother I have but still I'm not close and familiar with him. I just know him physically, his look, how he is, how he talks, how he dresses. I don't know him internally, I don't know how he feels, how he will react, what is in his mind, what he thinks of. I couldn't tell what his morals and principles were. I am scared of him, afraid of telling him what is bothering me because I do not know what he will retaliate with" she apathetically stated, her eyes kept blinking with heavy tears she wasn't ready to shed. At the end, she shut both her eyes.