Chap 21: talk of the town

"Ammiey" she griped, squirming on the bed "what's it ne wai Afi, what's wrong with you" Hajiya Hauwa'u asked continue with what she was doing,tired of her whining,she have been doing since she came. "Talk to him" Afifah said which makes her mother confused,what was she implying. "Talk to who" she asked.

"Your son in law mana " she said that got her attention,by the mention of her son in law a smile took over her face, only she knew how she doted her son in-law, but she hide her smile and asked. "And what about my son in-law" sounding nonchalant, continue arranging the cloth she is sending to an orphanage, she love that orphanage as her life depend on it, always going on there by the way, it belongs to her. "He locked me in that empty house like I'm haunted bird" she exasperated, and continue squirming. One will think she was a worm. "I want to come back home" she added.

"Which home, the last time I remember you are at your home" her mother said indifferently, knowing fully well what the matter is all about. "I want to be here or at mummy's"

"Have you forgotten that you're married now, you have to stay at your house" Her mother said and she groaned, not liking what her mother was saying. "I don't want to be there, it's so boring" she said. "You must be there, that is where you belong now, go and build your own home" Hajiya Hauwa'u deadpanned

"Ammiey how can I build a home in that empty house and that, me alone" Afifah asked with a big scowl on her face not getting what her mother was saying. Her mother looked at her discernibly before she take a seat on the bed, when she saw her sitting next to her, she took her head from the pillow and put it on her mother's lap.

"See how you spoiled my bed with your squirming" she said looking at how her bed looks disordered, all pillows are thrown at every angle. "You are arranging it back" she added which she just nodded. It have been long since she feels her mother's warmth, she hugged her tightly at the waist "Ammiey, the house was so boring, empty, dreary, dull. How can I alone build a home in that" she aggravated trying to reason, her mother smile as she caress her hair, soothingly.

"Let me tell you a story" she started, ready to put some sense in her daughter's brain. "When I first got married, your father's work was in Lagos and I'm here studying at that time, there is no way he can leave his work and I also I can't leave my study. Even though we are close but we hardly see each other, he was so busy working hard to get the title of a captain and I was busy with school too. So I have to stay alone at home and wait for him when ever he has a chance to come check on me time to time" she said heaving a sigh, it was a huge topic to her, she hate remiscising the old memories which are still fresh in her Brain, talking about her late husband unleashes the old memories, melancholic, happiest,grieving moments of her life.

He was the love of her life and still he is, it have been years since his demise but she still grieve. Looking at her two daughters which they look exactly like him remind her of him. She hate talk to them about him, she was always trying to avoid that, hating to see the miss of their father in their eyes. Knowing how deeply was the wound in their mother's heart they also tried to avoid the talk in her presence,but some gestures can never be avoided because she blunt that out with out knowing. Saying; that is exactly how their father talk when he is angry, happy, how he act, smile.

Especially Afifah,she is exactly the female young version of her father, all her features and personalities where the same with his. So she try to stay away from her to avoid anamnesis. "Ammiey" she call her out from her reverie

"You know it's a norms that when ever a girl got married, she's entitled to her husband's house, she have to stay there even if he's not around" her mother said. Talking about her father have already hagridden her, her father was her number one weakness. When ever you want her to do something, call her father's name and done.

"You have to stay at your house and wait for you husband, he told me he won't take long" she added, that make her think she made the wrong choice for her to complain about ya Nabil to her mother, if it was her mother in law she will gladly reply with ''come and live with me, daman I make the wrong choice of marrying you off early'' she knew mummy will definitely say that, she will back her idea.

"By the way tell me" Hajiya Hauwa'u asked wiggling a brow, "are you missing him already" she asked with a full smirk. "Ammiey" she whined, hidden her face in her body, "What,tell me mana, you missed him right? " She said chortling "you don't worry he will be back soon". She groaned, which mother ask her daughter if she missed her husband, only Ammiey of course, she thought.

"Tell me the secret" her mother started again, Afifah know from her tone whatever she is going to asked will never be on her favor. "Have you by any chance, started finding him attractive" she asked in a whisper as if there is another person in the room apart from them. "WHAT, Ammiey" she asked horrified, she sat up immediately, befuddled. Not able to comprehend what her mother was saying.

"No I'm serious tell me, did you start falling for him" she was too shocked seeing how her mother was talking as if it like she was asking Are you hungry, and she go reply with yes I'm.

"Wwhat N no Ammiey what are y.ou sayi..." She stuttered,not able to complete what she was saying " no you have to tell me what you are hiding in that tummy of yours" she said and like a child play,she started tickling her stomach and immediately laughter filled in the room,they all erupted in happy guffaw.

"Ammiey hhh st..op hhh" she said amidst laughing. "I'm not stopping until you tell me" and that is how they continue.

"What a moment to behold, having mother and daughter time with out me" Amara said bringing them back from their scamping. "This is really unfair" she said looking at her phone which she already captured the moment, she ended the video and walked in the room.

"You will be the talk of the town now" she said with a smug smile, busy typing her phone. " Done" she sad after a minute. "Don't tell you posted that" Afifah asked, she knew her obsession with social media, being a blogger she posted every thing she see. " Uhm, captioned mother and daughter's play" she said with a smile as if she did some thing great.

"Ammiey har da Keh awasan yau, and you didn't bother to call me" Amara asked her mother, sprawling her self on the disordered bed. "Uhm can't I play with my daughter" she asked.

"Yawwa Ammiey, since you won't let me stay here, let Amara and Nimrah be with me I will feel less boredom" Afifah asked

"I will only let Amara, I need to keep my eyes on that little girl" she said talking about Nimrah, her behavior this days makes her feel like she's getting out of her hand. " Ammiey don't be hard on that girl, allow her to enjoy life" Afifah try to reason but before she even complete she is already shaking her head.

"That girl have been becoming gaudy this days, I don't like that. She sees her self as a grown up lady" she said with a frown on her face. " Ammiey don't work up your self, be a little lenient on her"

"I heard you but she is not going with you" she said getting up from her bed and continue arranging the boxes "arrange this bed" she said to them.