chap 55; February 14

The time reads 09;00am in the morning when she wakes up to the loud echoing ringing tone coming from her phone, cutting the silence of the room. Her hand extended to the Nightstand to get the phone. Without checking who the caller is she picked it up, "Hello", she uttered in a sleepy voice, still half asleep. A loud excited voice was heard from the other end of the line making her retract the phone from her ear. She has to look at the phone again before adjusting herself in a sitting position. Nobody needs to tell her who is shouting on the phone. She knew no one would ever do that except her siblings. She sighed before putting back the phone in her ear, "Happy birthday Ya Afi '' she heard Khaled's small voice this time around. It seems it was a conference call. "Thank you Khaled, '' she answered. The rest of them followed by, wishing once again happy birthday making her smile and feel elated. She herself forgot it was her birthday that day but it seems that they all remembered. They are all not at the same places but still they call to wish her. Amara was in Manchester for her master's degree in interior design, living with baba's Younger sister there. At school, Nimrah and Khaled were on summer break at their paternal relatives in Gombe. If not for that, she was sure they must throw a birthday party for her, she loves those souls with all her heart. They never cease to amaze her and they cherish her with all their life's.

Remembering that the person she wished to be the first to wish her happy birthday was angry with her and he is not talking to her, even her presence irritated him. Her happiness was forced back to her belly. If only he can hear her out. This was her first birthday with him but it came at the wrong time. Knowing who he is, he wouldn't even lift an eye to look through her way while wishing her that. They continue conversation merrily with her siblings for over half of an hour before they end the call

She decided to cherish herself so much today it was her day, starting from the bathroom where she bathes as if she will peel out her skin, do her special skincare routine and then she went on to apply a minimum amount of makeup on her face. She felt the need to wear a light dress not wanting to stress herself out. Her eyes fall on the numerous gowns that she never wears. A baby pink ball gown caught her eyes, she smiled slightly before picking it. Wore it, and then look for a beautiful turban to go with it. Satisfied with her appearance, she sauntered out of the closet to the vanity table which was filled with many of his favorite perfumes. Even though she wanted to abide herself from his rage still she couldn't ignore his perfume which she was so obsessed with lately.

Going downstairs, she was met with an empty house, it was eerily quiet with her alone. Spotting his favorite car that was in the garage was absent, she concluded that he already left for work. The house was spotlessly clean made her to realized the maid has retired to their quarters.

Pondering on what to eat for breakfast, she came out with nothing in mind. She has no appetite for any food at the moment. It has been three days now since she last had a healthy meal. She spotted the hot kettle brewing with hotness, she set on having a green tea first then anything can follow back.

Along the way, she was casually sipping her tea lost in thought, a desire to eat cake came up, it's her birthday nonetheless. She supposed to eat cake. But now eating the cake is not a problem but where is she going get it. Most cake vendors were not at work on Sunday and less of them had finished taking orders since yesterday's against today. All of them have a lot of work to do because of the day. She even forgot that the day is not just like any day but Valentine's day. Lover's day. Reminiscing how she dreams of the day to be, coming alone with her husband for the first time celebrating lover's day even though their relationship couldn't be prescribed as love one. Can any relationship be complicated as them, and the last event did not nothing but to make it more complicated and disastrous as it can ever be. She couldn't pin on what she will call it now. Is he letting her go now, was he tired of her or disgusted. Three good days he didn't speak to her even a word.