Chap 75; fish, sour, spicy

"Would you tell me or I find it myself"  asked, sending a suspicious gaze at Afifah that made her shift nervously on her spot. When she doesn't show any reaction to talking anytime soon, Miemie show her with what she found from her bag earlier.

"What. … Nena. Miemie_ '' she tried to talk but she wasn't making any sense. At the end she tried to snatch away the thing in Miemie's hand but she was so reflex to hide it away when she saw her eyes on it. She became scared when she got to know that her grandma knows what she was hiding. "Are you pregnant? '' Miemie asked as her gaze was at the brand-new pregnancy kits in her hand, looking at it carefully.

Afifah tried to talk but she couldn't find her tongue in her mouth, at the end she gave up. She walked past her grandma and sat on the couch, tears started to brim in her eyes. She face palmed herself and held her head with the support of her elbow that was on her lap. Miemie looked worried, she went close to her daughter and wrapped her in her arms. She knew that was her granddaughter's sore spot, maybe her speculations were not true. "It's okay," she said, trying to calm her down.

"I don't know" Afifah answered her earlier question after she had calmed down. "I don't know if I was pregnant or not that's why I bought the kits yesterday" she explained and Miemie nodded in understanding.

"When was the last time you saw your period?" Miemie asked her. She pulses for a while, thinking about when she really saw it last. It is actually long, even though she never mind about that for the past years when she was free from endometriosis. She never cares about it anymore, if it arrives she would welcome that and continue with her daily basis. But now asking, it made her realize it has been later than usual. "Maybe six to seven weeks, I don't really know," she answered.

When she saw the bright smile that took over her grandma's face, she was quick to act, not wanting her to get disappointed as she always feels. She was disappointed as much as thousands of times to be precise, constantly checking, having medical check ups all the time, constantly doing her best just so she can get pregnant, at the end she gave up. It's better she stopped because she was getting depressed day by day. At the end, she submitted all her worries to The Omnipotent, Asking anything best from him. She learned the hard way that too much expectations did nothing good to her and her health. Expectations bring nothing but disappointment.

"Why didn't you ask Nabil to take you to the hospital, you should have gotten a better test? '' Miemie questioned, curious as to why she left it to herself alone.

"I don't want to break his heart" she cried, "I don't want to give him false hope, I know he wanted to have a child but still stuck to me and refused to get married again. I can see the hope and yearning in his eyes whenever we take a test and it comes crashing down when it shows that we still fail. But he hid it away from me just to calm me. That is why I need to confirm it before I tell him about it" she said with a shaking voice as tears gushed out of her eyes. They have taken numerous pregnancy tests together with Nabil and all those came out false. He used to calm her by saying all the soothing words in order for her not to lose hope in Allah. But he also yearned for that, wishing that for once the test they had done would come true.

Miemie stroked her back in order to make her feel better, while she kept crying in her embrace."It's okay, all shall pass. In Sha Allah you also will hold your baby in your arms one day. It's all a Matter of time." Miemie said.

They remained like that for some time, all lost in their trace of thoughts. The beautiful smile on Miemie's did waver, she had a high hope that her grandchild was pregnant but she didn't show that. "You should go and freshen up, tell me what you want to eat. I will personally cook it for you" she said after a while. She used her hand to cup her face, she wiped the tears away tenderly.