Chapter 87

Carina's POV

30 weeks.

They were safe now.

Being pregnant with triplets as an OB/GYN is hard. I was constantly worried about having to deliver them early. I know that every week is so important when we're talking about a baby's development in the uterus.

As medicine evolved over the last few decades the NICU is able to save newborns who were born at 24 weeks. A few decades ago a baby born at 35 weeks was left alone because they didn't know how to help them.

I knew if I can carry them until the 28th week their chance of survival would be between 80-90% and only 10% chance of having long-term health problem.

30 weeks

I finally got to sit back and just enjoy carrying the little peas in the past two weeks. For me it was once in a lifetime experience since we agreed on not having more children in the future.

I soaked up every kicks, bathroom breaks, heartburn. I made my peace with tiredness and with the fact that my ankles only fit into a sneaker.

"Mamma?" Emma's head poked into our room. It was still early, but after my latest bathroom break I couldn't go back to sleep.

"Sí, Bambina" I smiled warmly at my beautiful daughter. She was already so big. The little scared girl was vanished forever, she was our comfident, kind girl now.

"Can I snuggle with you?" She asked with a hopeful smile

"Sure, come here" I moved to the side a little so she could squeeze in between Maya and I.

"Thank you Mamma" she was as careful as possible.

"Why are you up so early?" I asked while I stroked her head.

"I don't know, Mamma" she placed her head on my shoulder " Are they up yet?" she asked me looking at my huge baby bump.

"Somebody is definitely awake, but I don't think that all of them are" I answered honestly. I have noticed that they slept more than previously which indicates that they were getting ready.

"Can I talk to them?" Emma started this morning ritual a few weeks ago. She said good morning to them as soon as she got up each morning.

"Of course" She will be the best big sister to them.

"Boungiorno Fratelli e Sorella" she said kissing my belly three times. No matter how many times I heard those words I always got tears in my eyes.

"Mamma, do they have a name yet?" she asked suddenly.

The truth was that we had a talk about it with Maya in the past few weeks, but we couldn't agree on them until recently.

"I don't have three names chosen Maya" I admitted admitted one night.

"That's okay. We'll have the perfect ones" She said looking through the name book "Bruno?" she suggested

"I actually loved that one but everyone will think we gave the name after the movie, actually two movies so I'd pass on that one" I explained it to her " Are you sure you don't mind giving them traditional Italian names?" I checked with her one last time.