Chapter 83

Maya's POV

I was late from the OB/GYN appointment due to a five alarm fire at the other end of the district. I should have been at the hospital with my wife.

I was working as hard as I could to put out the fire and be able to get there on time but I've failed. Once again I failed as a mother and as a wife.

Half an hour later the fire was almost out and it could been handled by one station easily so I discharged the rest of the tired firefighters and stayed to help with the rest of the work.

My phone started to ring but I've chosen to ignore it in hope of finishing earlier at the scene. I've tried to focuse on the work ahead of me but it kept ringing.

I took a deep breath before answering it ID: Chief Bailey.

I felt a knot in my stomach as I answered the call.
"Dr. Bailey..." I started as usual but I was interrupted by her immediately.

"Chief we have an emergency." using my title meant it had to do something with fire "Currently we have a nurse being captured by a man who has been seen in a bomb vest attached to his body." I swallowed hard knowing my whole family is in the hospital right now. "Carina is in her office with Emma, they are together" she answered my question before I could have been able to ask it.

"Is the bomb squad there?" I switched back to my Battalion Chief role instead of being a mother and a wife.

"Yes. He is located right below the O2 tanks." she said firmly.

I thought for a second. The O2 tanks are on the fourth floor where the ORs are.

That means he is on the...

No he can't be...

"He is on the third floor! ?" I was shaking

"Yes" she answered almost in a whisper

"On my way" I said not able to think straight anymore.

On the way to the hospital I called the Fire Chief because I knew if that bomb goes off I'll be the first one running into that building without gear if I have to. I needed a supervisor.

She immediately sent out the call for Station 19 and 23 to help with the evacuation and to be stand by in case of a fire.

Of course I arrived first and joined the bomb team to get more information on the situation.

"Chief DeLuca-Bishop" a black haired man held his hand out for me to shake "It could be a pleasure to meet you under different circumstances." he smiled sadly.

"Thank you sir" I knew my hand was shaking but I didn't care at that point.
"What do we have so far?" I wanted to have all the information.

"The suspect entered the building at 16:07 in a jacket in order to hide the vest from security. He took the elevator where he captured the nurse. He demanded to see a patient on the third floor. We looked into his past and turned out he is currently under investigation for sexual assault to his girlfriend. She chose abortion. Now he is on a mission to kill his partner just like she did with the fetus in his opinion. Everyone is out except from the third floor. In our knowledge there are currently two pregnant woman on that floor"  the man told me all the details.

" How do you know that? " I asked back.

" One of the nurses from the third floor managed to run down to the ER and informed the chief. " he answered.

" What's your plan? " I asked after I nodded.

I hoped for a good plan.

"We wait" he said.