Chapter 37

Maya's POV

- 5 hours earlier -

I had 2 hours left of my shift. I was still little shaken up by Zoe's call. To bo honest for the past month sometimes I forgot that Emma was our foster kid which meant she wasn't legally ours.

Not yet.

I hated that feeling because I felt like her mom from the very first day.

The klaxon brought me back to the reality.

ENGINE 19
LADDER 19
AID CAR 19
PRT 19
FOUR ALARM FIRE AT 5TH STREET

My stomach dropped.

I chose to ignore the feelings since it was the first time I felt that way. It's just that... Last time we were called to a fire like this I came back with a child.

With my daughter.

I ran towards the barn to get my gear and hop into the truck. Of course Vic was the first one up in the truck waiting to roll out.

I let Gibson to drive the truck since I wanted to check the informations we had on the fire so far.

"Okay looks like we're dealing with a hangar fire. Station 23 and 87 are on the scene. The Chief is currently on the scene as well so we'll know more there" I informed the team though the headphone.

"Yes Captain" they answered immediately

Not even 6 minutes after the alarm Gibson parked the truck. I ran to the Chief for orders and told the team to be stand by.

"Captain DeLuca-Bishop, welcome to the party" she sounded irritated which meant something wasn't going well. "Hangar fire started by electrical malfunction 3 hours ago. They stored highly dangerous chemicals in there. So far we managed to get 300 metal barrels out and two hoses are on the rest of them to keep them as cool as possible" she started to inform me about the situation

"How many more?" I needed to know if it was possible to get all of it out or just focus on putting the fire out

"Probably thousands" okay definitely focusing on the fire. That's what irritated her. At this point it was a suicide mission with thousands of chemical bombs in a hangar. "I want your team on fire attack. We need to put the fire out before any of the barrels blow up. I want a report every 20 minutes, understood?"

"Copy, Chief" I started to ran back to the team.

"Okay 19, we're on fire attack. This hangar is filled with metal barrels we have to put the fire out as fast as possible" I said firmly

"What's in the barrels, Cap?" Travis asked with wide eyes. He knew if I've not mentioned it it wasn't a good news.

"Chemicals" I said objectively to avoid any fear in my voice. I was sending my team to a suicide mission. One bad call and the whole building blows up.

"Warren I want you on the PRT. If anything happens in the hangar your surgical skills will be needed." Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst as Carina thought me. "Hughes you're with Montgomery and Gibson. Sullivan you're with me." I used the same pairing because they're used to each other and knows each other moves. "Report at every 20 minutes." with that we entered the belly of the beast.

"Captain no progress on putting the fire out" Hughes reported after the first 20 minutes was up. We have tried to put it out but something seemed to feed the fire.

"Copy Hughes" I said through the radio. We started to lose the visibility "Chief the visibility is at 80%. No progress on the fire yet. How is 23 doing with the ventilation?" I reported to the Chief