Chapter 17

Emma's POV

" Please don't hurt me." I begged at the top of the stairs. My nose was bleeding and my chest was so tight after all the kicking. They were bad people. All the children and even the adults. Nobody cared about me. They pushed me one more time "Noooo"

"Noooo" I sat up screaming covered in my sweats. I was sobbing once again. It took me a few minutes to realise where I was.

I was safe.

I was in my room. My room. I haven't felt like home since my parents became angels.

I lived with my Nonna but she wasn't safe. I had to play with dolls and wear pink all the time. I needed permission for everything. She never kissed goodbye, she never hugged me. She was so unhappy to live here instead of Italy only because of me.

She was angry with me all the time even if I have done everything right. I learnt not to show my emotions and act like I wasn't even there.

I was safe here.

I have known Maya for only three days and she made me feel safe. Carina was always there for me as well. Her hugs made me feel loved. I looked around my room and I wanted to be next to them.

Emma, don't be ridiculous. They are superheroes they need to sleep. They don't have time or energy for you.

No that's not true.

They said to get them if I need them and I really need them now. I wanted to feel safe and loved until they didn't hate me like my Nonna did.

I wiped a few tears away and hugged Captain close to my chest as I walked out into the dark hallway. I knocked on the door but after they didn't answer I decided to push the door open.

"Ma-Maya..." I whispered into the darkness "Ca-Rina...." I started to cry again.

It was so scary. They didn't answer and it was so dark. I felt alone. My sobs escaped and filled the room.

"Bambina, come here, what happened?" Carina asked in the darkness.

Their bed was so huge. I walked to her side and lifted my arms up. There was no way I could climb up.

"Ni-nightmare" I answered quietly not being able to speak because of the tears. She lifted me up and placed me in her lap rocking me back and forth.

" Do you want to tell me about your nightmares? Is it always the same?" she asked. I really wanted to open up to her. But it was hard. Nobody asked me this before.

"Sí!" I answered finally. I used the language I knew I felt safe speaking. It was always easier to express myself in my papa's language " They kicked me and hit me. They were evil to me. No hugs just kicks. They pushed me down." I managed to tell her

"In the group home?" she asked. I just nodded and listened to her heartbeat.

"You're so brave my little girl." Did she say I was hers? Why did it make me feel home again? Can they be my home like my mom and papá were once?

I didn't remember much because I was little but the feelings are the same with them. I wanted to be hers.

"It's not always the same." I want her to know more about me. She told me a lot at breakfast I needed to share mine story too. " It's sometimes about my Nonna." I told her finally

"The accident?" she said rubbing my back

"No. She was mean too. She didn't hit but she was mean to me. She didn't love me like you do." I said sobbing. "My Nonna shouted at me on that day and I ran. I ran out and hid under the stairs. I lied to Maya to not be in trouble. I'm sorry." I felt her arms getting tighter around my body