Chapter 84

Carina's POV

I'll never forget that noise.

Everything happened so quickly but to me it felt like it was in slow motion. Maya tried to shelter both of us in the basket as Jack was trying to get us down safely.

There was smoke and dirt everywhere.

It was hard to breathe and the unmistakable smell of the burned flesh was in the air.

I saw my wife lips moving but I couldn't hear it. The sound of the bomb was too loud I knew I had a temporary hearing loss.

I signed that I was okay before I checked Emma's body for cuts. She was sobbing and shaking in our arms but thankfully she had no physical damage. She placed her hands on her ear and I knew instantly her ears were ringing as well as mine.

"Maya can you hear me?" I asked my wife who shook her head as an answer.

Jack helped us out of the Ladder. I knew they needed to put out the fire as soon as possible in order to prevent the remaining O2 tanks from overheating and blowing up, but I couldn't help hoping Maya would stay with us. I needed her comfort.

She signed that she needed to check on the situation and ask the Fire Chief about what to do. I just nodded with tears in my eyes.

I needed to be strong now.

Emma needed me more.

"Ma..." that's all I could hear. I turned towards my daughter and saw her state.

She was gasping for air.

It was another panic attack.

Even without the hearing loss it would be hard to reach her in such a state so I needed to find another way to get to her.

She could feel the beat.

I placed her little hand on my throat and started to sing our song.

'Avrai sorrisi sul tuo viso come ad agosto grilli e stelle
Storie fotografate dentro un album rilegato in pelle
I tuoni di aerei supersonici che fanno alzar la testa
E il buio all'alba che si fa d'argento alla finestra'

After a few minutes her body melted into my embrace and her breathing was normal once again.

Maya came running back to us with Bailey and Jo following her with two gurneies packed with medical equipments.

"Carina, can you her me? " I heard her voice but to me it felt like whisper.

"Yes" I said probably louder than it was needed since Bailey raised her eyebrows knowing my hearing was still affected.

"Good. Princess?" Maya stroked Emma's hair gently not to settle her but making her present known.

"Mommy" she said with tears in her eyes

"Everything will be right. Auntie Bailey will check you to make sure you didn't get hurt, okay?" Maya explained her the details of the examination.

"Mamma stay" Emma cried out as soon as I moved aside to let my chief performer the necessary examination.

"Emma, Mamma is staying right here but Jo need to check her and the little peas to see if they got hurt okay?" Maya was squatting in front of Emma.

She always did that. She never babied Emma in situations like this. She remained calm and explained everything to her as she would do with an adult.

"You stay?" Emma asked after she nodded

" Always Emma." she said with a warm smile.

If it was only me I would skip the examination and stay with her no matter how much Maya would have argued with my decision, but it wasn't only me. I was responsible for three growing babies and I needed to know all my children are health after all this.

"Jo please, let me see" I tried to argue with her as I was laying on the gurney, she denied to turn the portable ultrasound towards me.

"Carina, I need to check it first. You're a patient now and not my mentor. After I finished we will go through the scans together" she was firm.

In that moment I hated her for it but deep down I was so proud of my student. She was an extraordinary OB/GYN.

I kept looking at Emma and Bailey. I couldn't here what they were saying but Bailey was smiling throughout the whole procedure. All I wanted to do was going home and cuddle with my girls.

"And we're done" Jo said finally. "They are perfectly okay in there. Look." she finally let me see the screen. "Three strong heartbeats." she waited for me to check everything myself. I counted each and every limbs, heads, fingers and checked any scars on the tissues surrounding my child. All clear.

I turned and I saw a Miranda reaching for a medical kit. I wiped the gel off of me, got up from the gurney and went straight to them.

"How bad is it?" I felt my throat closings up and my eyes watering.

"Carina it's okay..." Bailey started to say but that was all I could take for the day.

"I don't care about the sugar-coated version. How bad it is?" I raised my voice a little.

"Mamma" Emma reached for my hand calmly "Look, it's a scratch Mamma" she pointed to her knee "I'm okay, don't worry about me" she smiled at me from the gurney.

"Scusa" I said quietly

"So everyone is okay and healthy?" Maya looked between Jo and Bailey.

"Yes all four of them are healthy but I'd advise bed rest for the day" Jo said in her professional tone.

"And my little intern is all done" Bailey placed a badge on her knee with a smile.

"Thank you Auntie Bailey" Emma reached up for her auntie to give her a warm hug.

"So I can take my girls home? No hospital stay? No medications?" Maya started to spiral into her own thoughts.

"My love, we're okay. We can go home and rest for the day together, right?" I said as I realised she was still on call today. I really hoped the Chief would let her go home earlier then the shift would end.

"Yes babe. The Chief let me go for the day" she smiled happily at the both of us. "Let's go home my beautiful girls"