Chapter 14

Maya's POV

After lunch we had to respond to a kitchen fire so I said goodbye to my girls and went back to work.

Emma talked to the team a little which warmed my heart. She could spend time at the station if she is comfortable with my team.

During the day I had to manage a hard phone call.

"Chief Smith, it's Captain Maya DeLuca-Bishop from 19. Is it an ideal time for a phone call?" I asked over the phone not wanting to interrupt the Chief's schedule

"Ahh Captain. I was wanting for your call." she genuinely sounded happy.

" I'm sorry Ma'am, you were?" I was surprised. Why would she wait for my call?

"Yeah after the five-alarm fire and with your connection with that girl I knew I was going to hear from you. What's her name again?" she asked back.

I was surprised that she payed enough attention to me to notice the whole situation, sure I asked for permission to ride with Emma in an Aid Car back to the station but that's not indicate close attention from her.

" Emma, Ma'am. Yeah actually I was calling because of her. So you have seen my wife, Dr. Carina DeLuca-Bishop, at the scene as well, treating the superficial burns which turned out to be not serious enough for further medical attention. After that we have decided to foster the little girl since she has no relative left." I started to get nervous.

I was afraid that she would regret the promotion as it was only a week ago and I'm already asking for personal days. Even if it was terrifying and exactly what I was telling Carina about having a child in our arguments not so long ago, I knew I would do anything for my family. They have to come first at all times.

"I'm happy to hear. Congratulations to both of you. Based on what I saw the other day you're going to be amazing mothers to that little girl. Please let me know if SFD can help in anyway to help with the sudden change of your lifestyles" She said effortlessly and honestly. Maybe having a woman as Chief comes with changes within SFD.

"Thank you, Ma'am! Actually I wanted to ask for two weeks of personal days to help Emma settle in with us. I'm sorry for the sudden change since I have been back as Captain less than two weeks. Although Lieutenant Gibson is more than capable of replacing me as acting Captain during my absence" I started to ramble again.

"No need to apologise, Captain. Consider it done. Please notify the team and Lieutenant Gibson about the situations. At the end of the month I would like to do an inspection day at Station 19 since there has been quite a few changes in the last month."  She said like it wasn't a problem at all. She was right though, under a month there has been a change in the Station's Captain and Chief position as well.

" Thank you, Ma'am, will do. See you at the end of the month then." I said and ended the call.

I took a few deep breath and than called Gibbons into my office.

"Captain, is it a work related conversation or a friendly one?" He asked confused. We became friends over the last years. I helped him with Marcus and Inara when Marsha was on life support so we became friends again. Even Carina started to tolerate him to use exactly her words.

" Lieutenant, close the door please. " I said ordering and both confirming his question. Right now I needed my Lieutenant not my friend.

"Work related, got it! Yes, Captain!" He said unsure about the occasion of the meeting. He stood straight as soon as he realised was a work related discussion.

" I'm going to take a few days off, to be exact, I'm going to be away for two weeks. You're my only Lieutenant and also I have known you enough to be confident in your abilities. I told the Chief that you're capable of running this station in my absence. So for the next two weeks you're going to be the acting Captain of 19. Congratulations! Show them how it's done. It can be your chance to shine." I finished on a friendlier note. We had our history for sure but I genuinely thought he is a good leader and an even greater firefighter.

" Thank you for the opportunity, Captain. I will do everything in my power to show you I'm more than capable of doing this." He was a little surprised for sure. He was a Lieutenant longer than Andy or me but somehow he never got a chance to be captain. This might be his shot to show the Chief he has what it takes to be a fire captain.

A/N
This is just a short filler chapter but I'm really excited for the next one 😊