Chapter 41

Carina's POV

Three days later Maya was free to leave. We had one day to prepare Zoe's visit because Maya didn't want to move the appointment even if under these circumstances Zoe would have understand the decision.

As soon as Maya stepped into the apartment she walked over to the couch " Snuggle time" she said loudly and sat down in the middle.

"Coming Mommy" Emma ran giggling after her.

I smiled at them. Emma was the happiest since the accident.

The Chief came to visit Maya on the second day. She told her that everyone at SFD was talking about her heroic call. She most definitely showed everyone how worthy she is of the Battalion Chief title.

"Mamma hurry" Emma said as she was snuggled up in Maya's side.

"Coming Piccola" I laughed at her eagerness.

We decided on watching a movie together. Lady and the Trump. An hour in the movie Emma spoke up.

"Mommies?" she asked grabbing our attention

"Yeah Bambina" we looked at her waiting for her question.

"Can I have a puppy? Like Lady?" she asked shyly

I looked at Maya with wide eyes. We have never discussed the pet topic before. Her smile grew bigger. Okay I guess she was on board with the idea.

"In the future definitely Piccola" I smiled at her

"Just like Lady?" she said with a cute smile

"Sí, just like Lady" I looked between my girls and I couldn't decide who had the biggest smile.

I decided to make Emma's favourite: mac and cheese. Little did they know that I have learnt how to make it from scratch. I already had everything for the pasta so I was able to recreate the pasta.

"Bambine, dinner is ready" at this point they were playing in Emma's room.

"Coming Mamma" I heard Emma's response within seconds.

I loved her little personality. She was always polite, smart, thoughtful and always eager to eat.

Maya came out of the room with Emma attached to her hip. It wasn't surprising since it was her first day at home. She knew to be extra careful around Mommy but at the same time she wasn't leaving her side and was extra giddy since Maya came out of the hospital.

" Mie bellissime ragazze (My beautiful girls)" I greeted them with a loving smile. Emma was with us for 2 months now but seeing them thriving in each other company melt my heart everytime. "I made Mac and cheese for you"

"Thank you Mamma" Emma's smile got bigger

"Box?" Maya asked knowing how much I hated it.

"No, from scratch" I said proudly "If you like them I won't have to use that thing ever again." I was still refusing to call it pasta or food for that matter.

Maya put down Emma as they sat down at the table. I loved our family time even if it was as simple as eating together or watching a movie after our shifts.

"così delizioso, Mamma (so delicious Mamma) " Emma said happily stuffing her mouth with the pasta

"Rallentare (slow down). Mastica o ti va di traverso, Bambina. (You have to chew or you'll choke, Bambina)" I said seriously.

It was adorable but eating at this speed wasn't safe at all.

"Scusa, Mamma" she said slowing down. Maya giggled at our interaction.