Chapter 25

Carina's POV

I needed to know what happened in the bedroom but I also wanted to protect Emma in case something was wrong during the inspection.

"Emma can you go play in your room until I speak with Mommy? We'll be joining you soon, okay?"I said still rubbing her back.

" Sí Mamma!" she said politely. She was really the smartest, kindest kid I have ever known. She got off of my lap and went straight to her room.

" Bella come here." Maya was still standing in front of the front door with her back resting against it. She was exhausted because of the stress.

She started to walk back to me. " Was everything okay? What did she say to you in the bedroom?"

"She said that everything was fine. She asked again if we thought about the future and I told her we were sure about adopting her at the Station, it wasn't an empty promise. She said that she wouldn't come down here in the next couple of weeks since she truly believes she is safe with us and she likes it here. She'll come one more time in the next month to see if we'll be still on board. After that we'll be able to apply for a court day regarding the adoption." I didn't think she was even breathing at that point. She just poured everything out.

" Ahh I'm so relieved. I was so nervous and Emma was too and I had no idea how to calm her down or get her to eat. I was so scared." I let a shaky breath out too

" I know, Honey, but it's over now and we have a full day together as a family. I think that deserves some celebration, don't you think?" Maya said with a goofy smile

" What do mean, Bella?" I looked at her questioning that smile. She used it before and it was always some kind of a trouble.

" You will see, just be patient. Now if I'm not wrong we have a very important play date to attend to in our daughter's room, shell we?" she said as she stood up and hold her hand out for me

"Gladly" I said smiling at the gesture

We walked to the room hand in hand to check on our beautiful girl. I stopped in the doorway and I leaned again the doorframe watching her playing with the doll house as Maya snuggled up into my side.

She was so cute playing with the dolls and pretending she was the captain just like Maya. She truly adored us, if she wasn't playing firefighter she was playing a surgeon and performing surgeries on her dolls and stuffed animals.

I kissed Maya temple and went inside to sit by her side, joining in on her play.

"Mamma can I stay?" she said looking up at me afraid of my answer.

"Yeah Bambina. The nice lady saw how happy we're together and she won't be back for a long time. After that we'll go and tell a very important person that we're a family and than we can live without that nice lady coming here checking on us, but only if that's what you want Emma."  I tried to explain the situation to her

She was smarter than most of the kids at her age but I still felt like I have to explain this as simply as possible because it was a scary topic for her.

" Sí! I want to stay forever." She gave me a side hug " Mommy will you be the Captain now?" she looked at Maya who walked towards us nodding. " Mamma you play the paramedics with me, okay?" she said smiling at me.

"Okay but your Mommy can be so bossy on a call so be patient with her" I said laughing

"I'm not!" Maya protested with a cute pout

"Don't make me do that face again" I warned her

"What face, Mamma?" Emma asked bouncing with excitement. Maya looked at me with a warm smile.

"Go on Carina, what face exactly?" she told me playfully

"Okay watch this Emma. I'm Maya Bishop." I tried to give my best impression of my wife.

Emma bursted out laughing at my impression she was laughing so hard that she cried. Maya joined in on the laughter and kissed me.

"You're getting better at it, Beautiful" she said after the kiss.

We stayed and played together for an hour before I started to make lunch for us. The girls were now watching movies on the couch after they put the toys away.

I knew Maya was struggling with the food topic over the last week. She wasn't  a great cook but she tried for Emma. She managed to master the nuggets and fish fingers with some smashed potatoes. For today I decided it was time for my family's favourite : Lasagna.

"Okay girls. Lunch is ready so please wash your hands and then come sit." I told them as I placed everything on the table. They came back giggling.

"Hmm Baby this smells...."She started but I remembered that line

". .. Almost as good as me. I know." I kissed her and she blushed at the memories.

" Mamma what's for lunch?" Emma said with a curious voice. I thought her appetite came back and since she skipped breakfast she was starving.

"Well since I wanted to make everyone's favourite I made Lasagna."
Emma face lit up as soon as I said it.

"Yeyy" she watched we carefully as I placed a portion on her plate.

She looked at me patiently. I knew she was waiting because her Nonna forced her to wait until she started to eat.

"Bambina you don't have to wait for approval. Although you can choose to start with us at the same time but that has to be your choice okay? If you really hungry you can start sooner."

"I want to wait for you" she said smiling and more relaxed

"Okay now we're ready too" Maya smiled at her "Thanks for waiting for us Princess. I have a very special surprise for you both so eat everything because you'll need the energy." Maya said with a huge grin.

" Really?" Emma said with her mouth full.

"Emma we don't talk with our mouth full." I told her gently.

I knew she was mentally and verbally abused but at the same time she was still a child who needed some rules in her life. It was tricky to find that tone which wasn't harsh but demanding power as well.

She swallowed visibly before saying "Sorry Mamma." she looked down at her lap a little afraid

"I'm not mad Bambina. Sometimes mommies have to tell you some rules. But that doesn't mean they don't love you or they're mad at you. It means they're teaching you something."  I explained it to her

"Okay Mamma." she thought for a second "Thank you for teaching me" with that she went back to her lasagna.

I looked at Maya with a smile and she was trying to hide her laughter. Emma's little personality cracked us up time to time.

A/N
Happy Friday everyone!

I won't spoiler anything if you haven't watched the episode yet, but I wanted to say it was amazing.

Carina's scenes were wonderful. As soon as Stef appeared on the screen I started to smile. She is truly incredible.

I'm curious about the whole female Chief story line.

Also I wanted to say a few things about yesterday's events in our world, because it was too easy to hide behind a TV series especially with all the content we got from the cast and it's important to talk about them I think.

I'm from Hungary and my country does share a border with Ukraine. Its unbelievable and terrifying at the same time.

I'm still hoping that this situation can be solved by diplomacy rather than violence.

I'm close to the war zone and I still cannot imagine the fear of those who actually live there and go to bed while the sirens are on as a constant reminder.

Please be safe and take care!

-L-