Chapter 20

Carina's POV

The last thing I wanted to do was leaving our apartment. I wished I could stay with my girls instead of being Bailey-ed due to the fact that I didn't tell her sooner about my little girl. I was sure that Ben shared Emma's reaction about him with his wife.

" Is it a right time for you, Dr. Bailey?" I asked after knocking on her office door.

"Ah Dr. DeLuca-Bishop, come on in. Actually the right time would be yesterday but I have time now too." she told me with THE look before her face softened and walked towards me. "I'm so happy for you and Maya. You'll be great mothers the that little girl. If you need anything let me know."  she said while hugging me.

Over the years we became friends due to the same situation with our spouses. Surgeons are family for sure but not as tight together as the firefighters' family dynamic and being married to firefighters we are each other family too.

"Actually I have to ask how the daycare works. We were thinking that Emma could be here during the days if that's okay of course." I told Bailey the truth. I hade no ide how drop off and pick up worked and if I needed to apply for it somehow.

"Of course it's okay. I will take care of the paperworks for you. You can drop her off at the beginning of your shifts and pick her up at the end of it. I'm going to make an adjustment for Maya to be able to do the same. It works for her shifts as well. That I can do for my family" she said almost smiling.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you" I said hugging her.

She was not really a hug person so the occasional hugs she gave or accepted them were special.

"Okay, thats enough hug for a day" she said laughing " I think Ellis is still there if Meredith, Maggie and Amelia are on call so she will have company of her age. Scouts and Luna are a little bit too young for her.

" I hope they will get on well. Maya'll stay at home with her for the first two weeks and after that I'll bring her with me. Is it okay if we swing by later for everybody to meet her? It'll be easier for her to adjust slowly to the new places and noises." I really wanted to show her where I work and to be able to meet with my friends too since she seemed to get on well with Maya's.

" Anytime. I can't wait to meet the little firefighter - doctor."  She laughed. I knew that Ben mentioned that story to her.

"Thank you. I'll see you later." With that I left for rounds.

It seemed to be a slower day than my previous shift. It has passed lunchtime and we only had one delivery. I decided to page Jo and teach her some new technics in the teaching lab.

"You paged me Dr. DeLuca-Bishop?" I heard a knock on my office door.

"It's Carina and I did. It's a slow day so we should practice a little. Let's head down to the teaching lab and I'll show you a few less common procedures and than you can practice it under my watch." I said walking towards her.

We walked down together and talked through some of her questions.
I showed her a few surgical methods to learn and practice it on the dummies.

Being attending in a teaching hospital for me was a challenge. It's not just about teaching its about putting passion into it. Communication is a key and it can be hard with your residens but with Jo we are able to talk effortlessly to each other.

I felt my phone vibrating in my back pocket. I walked a little bit away not to disturb Jo in her practice session. I saw the ID: Bella❤️🔥it was a facetime request. I guess she wasn't kidding about the calls

"Hey Bella, how are you doing?" I asked with a smile as I answered it request instantly

"Hey Beautiful. Emma wanted your star song instead of mine. She said if she can hug me she wants to hear you instead. Sorry I hope you're not too busy." She said looking down embarrassed just like I was yesterday.

"No I'll always have time for my girls. So Bambina, are you ready for a nap?" I smiled at their hugging bodies.

"Sí!" she was yawning into Maya's embrace.

I started to sing our song and within a few minutes I saw her chest rising and falling at a slow pace.

"How was today so far, Bella?" I asked Maya after the song was finished.

"We ate cereal for breakfast from Andy's stash and then went to her to thank her. Apparently they're best friends now. She called her Tia and she also told her that Captain Herrera was with Zio Andrea." my eyes widened as I heard that word.

I felt a knot in my throat and my eyes watered up.

" What's wrong Car? What does it mean?" She truly had no idea about the meaning behind the word.

I let the tears fall down on my cheeks. I didn't even attempt to wipe them away.

" Zio means uncle in Italian. She called my baby brother her uncle." I tried not to break down completely since I was in work but I needed all my strength to do so. He would love her so much.

" I think she is opening up to us day by day" Maya said with a smile "I love you so much. Thanks for the help. Go save lives Beautiful." she blowed a kiss and ended the call.

I wipped away the remaining tears and walked back to Jo to check on her work.

"Are you okay, Carina?" Jo asked looking at me worryingly

"Uhh yeah...no.." I let out a shaky breath "A few days ago Maya and I started to foster a little girl who we're planning on adopting as well. She is opening up to us day. She is... Ohh she is fantastico. She is smart, kind, thoughtful and curious just like a normal four years old should be." I said smiling at the thought of my beautiful girl

" Congratulations. I'm so happy for you. " she hugged me" Why are you crying tho?"

" She said something today. Something which made me incredible happy and sad at the same time. Yesterday I talked about Andrea and my mamma with her, she asked about my mamma and then one thing led to another. She is bilingual like me so she was really invested in the stories about Italy. Today she called my baby brother Zio Andrea, I'm happy that she's safe enough to call him Zio it's just... " a tear rolled down

" It's just he is not here to meet her. " Jo finished my sentence." I'm so sorry Carina but believe me he sees you with that little girl and he is so proud of you. "

" Thank you Jo." she hugged me one last" So let's see how you did with the new procedures."

She was a really good student, she did everything how she was supposed to. We continued until we got paged to the ER.

Thankfully the rest of the shift was quite, I couldn't wait to hug my girls at home.

A/N

Surprise!

I wanted to post another chapter to thank you all for reading my story. I cannot believe that this book already has 10k+ views on it. It's crazy.

The next chapter will be one of my favourite so far. Get ready with the tissues.