Chapter 6

Maya's POV

She sounded angry.

What if she didn't want her like I did?

What if she thought I won't be a good mother after all?

I knew it! I must have done something wrong. I have been with her not longer than three hours I must screwed up something big if she sounded like that.

I felt myself drifting away with all of my bad thoughts. I could feel my heart beating faster and my breathing becoming shallow. My vision got blurry and my ears started to ring. I only heard some quite noise in the background.

Wait I know that voice.

It was my wife.

"Bella eyes on me. It's okay. Breathe for me. I'm here" she said softly but loudly enough for me to hear during my episode. "I have got you, it's okay, you're safe Bambina." she squeezed my hand since she was not able to hold me due to the little one on my chest.

I needed to calm down and be here for her. For them. I needed to come back. I closed my eyes and listened to her voice. After a few minutes I felt my breathing slowing down and I got my senses under control again.

" I-I'm so-sorry" I managed to look at her

"No, I'm sorry. I didn't meant to scare you. I just..." she started to get anxious as well "I just.. I just wanted to ta-talk about... About this Piccolina.. I need to know everything" she smiled at me shyly.

"I was with Sullivan when I heard her sobbing under the stairs. The visibility was so bad at the beginning we must not see her hiding." I started slowly still not trusting my voice. "She said her Nonna told her to hide underneath the stairs which must have saved her life. That's when I realised she speaks Italian" I said smiling "Sully went to check on the grandmother and I stayed with her. She reached out for me. She was so scared and yet so brave to let me hold her. I could see some second degree burns. Sullivan said that the woman didn't survive.

I had no idea what to do. She was all alone. She told me she had no parents only her Nonna. I couldn't leave her alone. That when I called you. I had no idea who to call or what to do. I have never felt like this towards a child on the field if anything I was the one who run away from baby duty as soon as I could. I'm sorry... I didn't want to.... I didn't want to make you uncomfortable... I should have done something else... I-i..." I was rambling until she squeezed my hand again

" Ohh Bella.. You did the right thing. When I saw you with her attached to your hip it was ohh... fantastico. Than she looked up at me with those blue eyes and I was lost. Bella she even speaks my language. I totally understand why you brought her here with us. I'm not mad. I just need to know what's going to happen because I can't let myself get more attached to her than I already am because I wouldn't be able to let her go if we need to." she said with a sad smile.

She felt the same and I had no idea.

" I want to adopt her" I said it out loud for the first time. I realised I had the biggest smile on my face. I looked into her eyes. She wasn't scared anymore, it was something else in her beautiful eyes.

Love

Somehow it felt different this time.

"You do, Bella?" she wanted to be sure I said it

"More than anything!" I giggled. I felt so happy and loved "I still need to call CPS in the morning. It is not like they're working now so it wouldn't be a problem. She needs to sleep for now. Since we have been cleared to be foster parents I don't see why we couldn't foster her. And than we will see how it's going. How about that, Honey?" It was a pretty perfect plan to be honest. Although I did get anxious thinking about what if they decided we're not the right person to foster the little one.